Ford Inside News banner

What would you do if you were in charge?

5K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  twessmith 
#1 ·
Alright, Im really bored at work so hoping maybe we can have a little fun discussion. Ok, hypothetically you're in charge of Ford/Lincoln and get to choose what products and lineups they have. Lets see what everybody's lineups would be like.

Rules:
1. Have to address the current lineup as well as anything we know is coming and what you would add
2. Consider the market in its current form and where its projected to go
3. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LETS NOT TURN THIS INTO A ANOTHER POST OF JUST ARGUING :grin2:

I'm eager to see what yall come up with.

#5 ·
Keep Focus and Fusion in production on C2 platform at Hermosillo because Ford should remain a full line producer.
Build CD6 Continental because Lincoln should have at least one car in its lineup even if it loses money.
Otherwise, I agree with redesigned Ecosport, Puma, Escape, Maverick (not Scout), Edge, Bronco, Explorer, Expedition, "Mach I" electric SUV, Ranger, F series, Courier C2 pickup; Lincoln Corsair, Nautilus, Aviator, Navigator.

#6 · (Edited)
Ford: Focus Sportback and Coupe. Fusion Wagon, Mustang 2 and 4 Door.
Bronco, Maverick, Puma, Edge, Escape, Expedition, F150, Super Duty.

Lincoln: Zephyr tall sedan (Polestar 2), Navigator based Town Car. RWD Mustang-based Sedan and Coupe
Mini CUV (Schooner name maybe?) , Corsair, Nautilus, Aviator, Aviator Coupe, Navigator

Hybrid and Plug in versions of everything.

#7 ·
Mustang sub-brand with the adition of a 4-door coupe and Mach 1 EV properly called Mustang.
Some kind of coupe based on the Focus for Europe and China.

Bronco sub-brand grouping 2-door, 4-door big SUVs, pick-up truck, Bronco Scout (baby Bronco) and a convertible like the Evoque.
New Puma to NorthAmerica and China (at present only for Europe).
New Edge, that will be builded on C2 platform, with 7-seats option and a "coupe" version.
Lincoln: keep the Continental on CD6 with "suicide doors" standard! , next Nautilus (on C2) with 7-seats option and coupe version, a large and elegant crossover coupe on CD6 called Mark IX
On EV side, aditional to hybrid F series, an electric F series with different body than the regular one. Rivian based electric truck and SUV for Lincoln. VW´s MEB based Ford not only for Europe, sell it in USA and China (and call it Falcon!) too.

#8 ·
I'm attacking the US lineup

Fiesta: Mostly dead except for the ST, but dont keep on lots. Special order only like Volvo does with the V90

Focus: Mostly dead except for the ST and Activ. ST is special order only like Volvo does with the V90

Fusion: Replaces with similar sized wagon ala Outback

Mustang: Heavy refresh for 2021 or 2022 MY, add 3.0T for 400hp SVO model, make GT350 intake standard on GT so 480hp
Continue with Mustang inspired BEV CUV
Add 4-door Mustang using

F150: Add a Tremor Package like the SD so something between FX4 and Raptor. Bring back the Lighting using the 5.2 Predator V8, also add to Raptor. PHEV and EV already coming.

Super Duty: Add some monotone paint packages

Edge carry on until all new, add PHEV

Escape: Add an ST

Explorer: Add FX4 package on XLT trim. Bring back the Sport Trac, optional Adrenaline package

Expedition: Add a PHEV

Transit and Transit Connect: Carry on but add BEV

Ranger: Add Tremor Package and bring the Raptor. Add diesel option

Ecosport: All new, less crappy lol

Puma: Bring to the US

Flex: Should die.....but I really wanna see a new one based on the Explorer architecture. Keep it boxy, but way more updated.

Bronco: Ranger based awesomeness, 2 and 4 door with removable top. 2.3 Ecoboost, 2,7 Ecoboost, and 2.0 bi-turbo diesel
Maverick: Escape based awesomeness
Bronco Scout: F150 based fullsized Awesomeness
Badlands: Ranger based Bronco pickup

Courier: Focus based lil truck

Contour: VW MEB architecture based EV

MKZ: Replace with CD6 based Zephyr. Slightly smaller than the current gen.

Continental: New model based on CD6 with both short and long wheel base version. Suicide doors a must. Use Aviator drivetrains. EV version

Corsair: All good

Aviator: All good

Navigator: Refresh, add PHEV

Vavasor: CUV sized below the Corsair

Aphelion: Mustang BEV based CUV

Mark IX: Fullsize BEV Coupe

#10 ·
Remove overlap in the SUV range and provide a uniform approach that suits global sales. Global doesn't mean not having a bias towards one (or two) particular markets where a certain profile translates to the company's overall health. There's no reason they can't produce any of their vehicles in all markets. What is popular in the US will be popular just about everywhere so it's a low-risk decision. Mustang is proof of that. Explorer, F series and Bronco need to be RHD, is what I'm getting at. Otherwise don't call yourself global.

As for changes and additions:

Maybe remove Edge since it doesn't come with 7 seats.
Remove Ecosport and keep Puma.

Bronco needs a V8. Considering it's platform is shared with the next F series the V8 will fit.

I know, I know, I sound like a meat-head, but, if you want to tug at the heart strings of consumers (buying expensive cars in an emotive thing after all) you need to give them something that doesn't share it's engine with a hatch back.

Too expensive? It'll still be much cheaper than a G Series.

"AC Shelby Cobra" remake. If you can't totally nail the design (like Jannarelly has) then make do with the old design. Destroke that new V8 to 7 litres and stick an electric motor to it with a DCT transaxle.

Power should be approximately 700hp and torque around 700 as well. Add 355 wide tyres. Kerb weight under 2700lbs.

Price it at ~$120k, and then see if Chev sell any Corvettes for $60k.

Also offer a manual non hybrid atmo 7 litre for $90k.

D6 Sedan, 4-door coupe, shooting brake. Large and unmatched styling that should include retro elements, but that's still not sufficient if the necessary driveline isn't there.

If Ford want profitable vehicles then they should aim high and offer something gorgeous with E63/M5 rivaling performance.

Next GT should be called GTHO. Throw everything at the sumbitch. Seven litre TT-V12 plus several e-motors could easily push it to 500kph, tyres permitting. Priced at $1.5M but don't sell any to John Cena.

#11 ·
Remove overlap in the SUV range and provide a uniform approach that suits global sales. Global doesn't mean not having a bias towards one (or two) particular markets where a certain profile translates to the company's overall health. There's no reason they can't produce any of their vehicles in all markets. What is popular in the US will be popular just about everywhere so it's a low-risk decision. Mustang is proof of that. Explorer, F series and Bronco need to be RHD, is what I'm getting at. Otherwise don't call yourself global. .

The taste of americans are very different from the taste of european customers. Not because is "good" for NorthAmerica this will be good for the rest of the markets too. That is completly wrong. The taste of North America have more in common with China than with the rest of the markets...

#14 ·
Ford:
I'd ditch the EcoSport for the new Puma
Rumors are suggestion a Bronco pickup like the first gen had make sure that debuts too
I'd keep the Focus and Fusion in production but give them good meaningful updates and add Wagon Activ models to them both.
I know a hybrid Mustang is coming but also explore an EV Mustang and AWD.
Explore a proper Flex replacement or next generation model - I think this is a model worth looking into it's popular in California and a new hybrid powertrain may help sales

For Lincoln:

New Continental with coach door option on CD6 and add plugin hybrid model like Aviator and explore full on EV model
New MKZ replacement not sure on name since Zephyr isn't really that good of a name also on CD6 but shorter than Continental with plugin hybrid model and potential EV model
New Mark IX coupe based on CD6 EV only show off very sleek design future of Lincoln brand.
Expand on Lincoln service it's still lacking from my experience compared to others. It's better than it was but they still have more they need to do. Remove the 100 deductible on CPOs as well Jaguar, Lexus, and others have no deductible on warranty claims

#15 ·
CUV/SUV
Keep EcoSport, but give it Bronco looks for the next gen
Add Puma for mini city CUV
Keep Escape as small city CUV
Make an extended version to Escape to replace Edge, and add a 4 door coupe version.
Bronco Scout for offroad small CUV
Ranger styled SUV for entry mid-sized
Bronco SUV for premium mid-sized
Redesign Explorer front end
F-Series based offroad SUV using supercab and short bed.
Expedition

Cars
Capri coupe (smaller and lighter than Mustang)
Mustang
Thunderbird on stretched Mustang
Fusion Wagon base and offroad version

Reactions: falcon lover
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.