Ford Inside News banner

Ford Sept2015: U.S. Retail Sales Best Since 2004;

12K views 60 replies 16 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Overall Sales Up 23 Percent on Strong Customer Demand for New Vehicles
DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 1, 2015

• Ford Motor Company total U.S. sales increased 23 percent for September, boosted by best retail results since 2004, also up 23 percent versus year ago
• F-Series retail sales up 28 percent, driving total truck sales to their highest level in nine years; Ford commercial vans post best September sales since 1987 – up 86 percent
• Ford brand SUV sales up 27 percent for the best September since 2003 – all-new Edge up 33 percent, new Explorer up 38 percent, Escape up 31 percent
• Ford retail car sales up 15 percent; Mustang sales increase 199 percent – the car’s best September performance since 2007
• Lincoln September sales best in eight years – a 20 percent gain

Ford Motor Company total U.S. sales increased 23 percent in September, with 221,599 vehicles sold. Retail sales also gained 23 percent, with sales of 168,522 vehicles – providing the company with its best September performance in 11 years.

Retail sales increases were broad-based with passenger car sales up 15 percent, SUVs up 23 percent and trucks up 29 percent.

“Our Ford and Lincoln dealers had an outstanding month, delivering strong sales, with gains in cars, SUVs and trucks in September,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Sales of EcoBoost-equipped vehicles also were strong, driving us to an annual record for EcoBoost sales with three months left in the year.”

F-Series sales of 69,651 trucks posted a 16 percent increase overall, with retail sales increasing 28 percent. This represents the best September sales for F-Series since 2006, with EcoBoost® representing 64 percent of F-150 retail sales last month.

Ford van performance increased 86 percent with sales of 17,994 vehicles. The all-new Transit, with sales of 10,154 vehicles, drove Ford to its best September commercial van sales since 1987.

Ford brand SUVs achieved the best September results in 12 years, with record September sales for Escape – up 31 percent. Sales of the all-new Edge and new Explorer increased 33 and 38 percent, respectively.

Ford retail car sales grew 15 percent, with total Mustang sales of 9,456 cars representing a 199 percent increase – and the best September since 2007.

Lincoln sales totaled 8,680 vehicles, a 20 percent increase. Lincoln saw sales gains in every nameplate in September, including Lincoln MKC and the all-new Lincoln MKX, which increased 16 and 34 percent, respectively.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/10/01/september2015sales.html
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2015/10/01/september2015sales.pdf

See less See more
#27 ·
110K?
So that adds up to, what, about 830 Conti sedans per month to justify the extra 10K. Maybe twice what MKS is selling currently.

Seems a bit low to me, but OK. But, lets not also forget what positive brand momentum can do.
I honestly can't imagine the Continental selling in huge numbers. I have no doubt that it will be a great car, but the market for that type of sedan is shrinking. People want crossovers and SUV's.

#28 ·
110K?
So that adds up to, what, about 830 Conti sedans per month to justify the extra 10K. Maybe twice what MKS is selling currently.

Seems a bit low to me, but OK. But, lets not also forget what positive brand momentum can do.
True but remember the Conti won't be a cheap car and also it's not going on at the beginning of the year we will have a few months missing of production.

#29 ·
I honestly can't imagine the Continental selling in huge numbers. I have no doubt that it will be a great car, but the market for that type of sedan is shrinking. People want crossovers and SUV's.
Call me optimistic or stupid... or both. But markets ebb and flow. What was once popular and no longer is may live to be the hot ticket the next year. Trends change. Perhaps the large car is on its way back to being "cool" or "it" again, and fresh entries like the Continental and CT6 could ignite the flame. As for crossovers, they're hot right now, sure. But the other markets are just a bit dormant, not dead. If the Continental is priced right it could be a hit.

In my opinion, I think midsize and large cars are going to come back, big time. With midsize cars getting better and better looking, people may want to feel slick and sleek again instead of tall and a bit stubby. I sit here pondering my interest in a mid cycle refresh Escape or mid cycle refresh Fusion. Ask me a few months back and the Escape would be my choice.

#30 ·
I think 110,000 is more realistic for Lincoln at the end of 2016 and maybe 120-125K at the end of 2017 depending on what else they offering at the time.

The Continental will sell well initially once production ramps up fully and dealers are fully stocked because of the nostalgia factor, remember they're a lot of people(mainly older) who've been waiting on a new Continental especially if the production is over 90% close to the concept. The name alone is a buy factor, nothing else in Lincolns lineup could sell just off the name only.

I personally believe the MKZ has not reached it's full stride yet due to Lincoln only offering the hybrid, standard, and black label versions; no sport trim or performance version with a higher hp engine. The MKZ is one of the few cars at it price point that looks sporty and luxurious at the same time.

The trend to CUV's/SUV's will slow down if gas prices creep back up to $4 a gallon.

#31 ·
I think 110,000 is more realistic for Lincoln at the end of 2016 and maybe 120-125K at the end of 2017 depending on what else they offering at the time.

The Continental will sell well initially once production ramps up fully and dealers are fully stocked because of the nostalgia factor, remember they're a lot of people(mainly older) who've been waiting on a new Continental especially if the production is over 90% close to the concept. The name alone is a buy factor, nothing else in Lincolns lineup could sell just off the name only.

I personally believe the MKZ has not reached it's full stride yet due to Lincoln only offering the hybrid, standard, and black label versions; no sport trim or performance version with a higher hp engine. The MKZ is one of the few cars at it price point that looks sporty and luxurious at the same time.

The trend to CUV's/SUV's will slow down if gas prices creep back up to $4 a gallon.
I would love to see a Hybrid version of the MKC and MKX personally.

#32 ·
The difference in MKS/MKT sales can be represented by just a handful of old people who didn't die as expected! Nice to see all the newer or refreshed product up though.
The life expectation is now near 90 years for female and more than 85 for males.... so , Lincoln will sell more vehicles than ever! :thumb:

#34 ·
I would agree with that but with gas prices being so low right now, I don't know how well they would sell.
They are bound to go back up plus let's not forget Cafe, Ford has the technology might as well get it out now before gas prices do go back up so they are ready for it instead of scrambling to get them out. IMO

I am glad gas is low right now too I just filled up yesterday for 1.97 and got 39.7 MPG. That's a win win instead of filling up for 1.97 and getting 20-22 MPG.

#37 ·
Conti is priced like the MKS but in a market that is buying fewer large cars so I would look for 800 to 1,200 sales per month sustainable on that car, there is some hype around it and it's been under-serviced by Lincoln for awhile so there should be healthy interest in the 1st year. I'm not sure what Lincoln's target is but look how well XTS sales do for Caddy, the Conti is a very similar car and customer.

#39 ·
I am not sure if I would go that high maybe 110k

Once they get the Aviator then I could see 120-125k...
Conti is priced like the MKS but in a market that is buying fewer large cars so I would look for 800 to 1,200 sales per month sustainable on that car, there is some hype around it and it's been under-serviced by Lincoln for awhile so there should be healthy interest in the 1st year. I'm not sure what Lincoln's target is but look how well XTS sales do for Caddy, the Conti is a very similar car and customer.
might look for my speculations-Link later
think I said 16k for lowballing Conti's first year - tho dunno Job1-vs-Botch so FIRST 12 MONTHS

I would love to see a Hybrid version of the MKC and MKX personally.
need to specify PLUG-IN-hybrid
ORDINARY-hybrids are:
- past their best buy date (no offense re: yours)
- NOW-appropriate only for mainstream brands

I would agree with that but with gas prices being so low right now, I don't know how well they would sell.
NO ONE has a reputation for Luxury Plug-Ins yet
imho it's CRIMINAL that Lincoln is NOT(fixed) moving in that direction AT FULL SPEED

(continuing 'nautical') the ship has sailed for mainstream (Prius) & electroLUX (Tesla)
AND MAINSTREAM ELECTRICS (focus) are jumping the gun/shark & $toopid

The difference in MKS/MKT sales can be represented by just a handful of old people who didn't die as expected! Nice to see all the newer or refreshed product up though.
The difference in MKS/MKT sales can be represented by just a handful of...
...SALES. = small numbers allow easily for wide %-swings
fixed^

I am not sure if I would go that high maybe 110k

Once they get the Aviator then I could see 120-125k

I am wondering if now is the time to go for a sub MKZ model. Although personally I wouldn't be a fan of one I think it is needed per the market.
this^ is why I've ranting so hard for FLincMoCo to pick up Lincoln's PACE
ie have things IN the pipeline to CO-INCIDE with "major momentum makers" (Continental ! !
which might have jumped the gun a bit tho)
((but a proper LincStang next summer sure would be Sweet!))

#40 ·
^ If it sells like the XTS, it will be an improvement compared to now but I would like it to sell closer to the Genesis which I think it's capable of if priced and optioned right.
darn, now I'll hafta look for that other thread with my charts
cuz afaik, Genesis means around 30k annual sales
&
I don't remember if my most 'ambitious' Conti # was as high as 2500/month

#41 ·
I think most MKS/Continental customers have moved to the MKZ or MKX already but I imagine the Continental will offer a new level of luxury that can't be offered on other Lincolns right now. I see 4 tiers for Lincoln right now (based on price and amenities, not platforms) Tier 1: MKZ/MKC, Tier 2: MKX/Continental, Tier 3: MKT/Aviator, Tier 4: Navigator. I don't think Lincoln should go anywhere below Tear 1 unless everything is moving up (which it probably is over time).

Personally I'm not that excited by Conti, but I'm interested in what it tells us about the next stage for everything else. I'm MUCH more interested in Aviator or even Navigator and it can't come soon enough. But I'm ready and willing to be won over by Continental, haha.

I think the true next-step for Lincoln will happen when they have two all-new uber luxury SUVs, the next step after that will be new passenger cars based on a more advanced platform that is specialized for the competitive luxury car business (coupled with their new drivetrains). MKZ and Continental will inch Lincoln forward but won't really change their formula. It's all happening incrementally but sustainable process is happening.

#43 ·
... I see 4 tiers for Lincoln right now (based on price and amenities, not platforms) Tier 1: MKZ/MKC, Tier 2: MKX/Continental, Tier 3: MKT/Aviator, Tier 4: Navigator...
:thumb:
tho
I'd just use Lincoln's trim-levels**
(along with your reverse numbering)

Tier Ø: Premier/base = vinyl
Tier 1: Select(/new base)
Tier 2: Reserve
Tier 3: [BL]
Tier 4: ContiConc equivalent
&
I hope the vinyl-base is replaced by MERCURY (without vinyl!!!) asap!!!

**crossreference: Trim-Level Poll

#44 ·
I see for the car models, the sales of the refreshed Focus is down along with the aging Taurus.
I think making the 123hp 1.0 EcoBoost the standard "base" engine and replacing the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine with a 180hp 1.5 EcoBoost should make the Focus more interesting.

It might not have class leading interior/packaging, but a class-leading engine lineup like an all-EcoBoost lineup might attract more buyers.

#45 ·
ORDINARY-hybrids are:

imho it's CRIMINAL that Lincoln is moving in that direction AT FULL SPEED
I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree as well.

The problem with plugins is, at least here not sure about elsewhere, that the infrastructure isn't there yet. I looked the the Fusion Plugin if you remember and what killed it for me besides the truck space was that there are no plugin charging areas at my business park nor anywhere else that I know of which means the only area where I could possibly plugin is home. Which is fine but if I want to get the maximum use out of my car it would be awesome to have plugin stations where I work (I know I don't need to plugin for it to work). This isn't Ford's fault or any manufacturer it's just that properties have been slow to adapt for that which I think hinders sales of vehicles like Tesla at least in my area. I only see one Model S once in a while and the Tampa Bay area isn't small there's a population of 2.7 million here. It's the same back in my home state of Rhode Island as well.

In the mean time till that is more sorted out if Lincoln wants to offer plugin versions of their hybrids I have no problem with that so they can get a head start. I just don't think they should abandon regular hybrids just yet.

#46 ·
2b2 said:
ORDINARY-hybrids are:

imho it's CRIMINAL that Lincoln is NOT(fixed) moving in that direction AT FULL SPEED
I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree as well.

The problem with plugins is, at least here not sure about elsewhere, that the infrastructure isn't there yet..
just-imho:
- time to install a charger = 1 month tops
- time to bring out a Plug-In = 2 years min**

**unless they're FlincMoCo who needs even longer when they HAVE the drivetrain onSALE in the Fusion
:facepalm:

...In the mean time till that is more sorted out if Lincoln wants to offer plugin versions of their hybrids I have no problem with that so they can get a head start. I just don't think they should abandon regular hybrids just yet.
FLincMoCo's penurious-parsimony is forcing me to adopt an either-Or attitude (which IS a fallacy in&of itself)
even tho I'm a cheerleader for More Choice
so
if forced to choose betwn ordinary-hybrids & Pluggers,
FOR LUX Brands => I choose Pluggers

^ If it sells like the XTS, it will be an improvement compared to now but I would like it to sell closer to the Genesis which I think it's capable of if priced and optioned right.
darn, now I'll hafta look for that other thread with my charts
cuz afaik, Genesis means around 30k annual sales
&
I don't remember if my most 'ambitious' Conti # was as high as 2500/month
Nope = my high was 2166/month, 26,000/annual
(somewhere/when in a June thread)

#48 ·
per poster elsewhere: YTD this high would be not since 2006.

2015 Mustang Sales Continues To Trample Camaro, Challenger
StangTV

Posted on Oct 9, 2015
By Chris Demorro

It’s been 11 full months since the 2015 Ford Mustang arrived at dealerships across the country, and for the 11th month in a row the Blue Oval’s remade muscle car has continued to dominate sales charts. With both of its main competitors set to be replaced or retired soon and Ford pimping the 50th anniversary of the Mustang hard, it really isn’t a surprise. The surprise will be if Ford can keep the sales momentum going after GM and Fiat-Chrysler release their new muscle cars into the wild.

According to Torque News, Ford sold 9,456 Mustangs in September, a small drop from August sales but still almost as many sales as both the Camaro and Challenger combined...

#49 ·
#51 ·
It’s been 11 full months since the 2015 Ford Mustang arrived at dealerships across the country, and for the 11th month in a row the Blue Oval’s remade muscle car has continued to dominate sales charts. With both of its main competitors set to be replaced or retired soon and Ford pimping the 50th anniversary of the Mustang hard, it really isn’t a surprise. The surprise will be if Ford can keep the sales momentum going after GM and Fiat-Chrysler release their new muscle cars into the wild.
Of course when the updated competition arrives, Mustang will take a hit, but Ford introduced the updated Mustang at the perfect time. They will have well over a year of killer sales, including strong overseas demand, to anchor their position as the best-selling sports car of all time. Every extra butt you get into a Mustang is potentially a Mustang (and Ford) buyer for life. It's about great cars, the right pricing, and right timing. Ford nailed all three with the 2015 Mustang for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.