February 2016: Ford Posts Best February U.S. Retail Sales in 11 Years - Page 4 - Ford Inside News Community
 87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Ford Explorer

Re: February 2016: Ford Posts Best February U.S. Retail Sales in 11 Years

Forgot to mention one of the side objectives of taking out Taurus (if true) is that it will help prop up Fusion sales and possibly steal the coveted mid size sedan sales crown. Maybe.
falcon lover and FordCosworth like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 12:31 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
I have read that the lifecycle for the Ford Taurus (D258) has been extended to June 2023 from June 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
Has anyone heard of a new large Lincoln sedan with a program code of CD714, due in 2020?
you holding out on us, @MKII ?? /edit, N.R got it Link

paging @joseodiaga4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 03-03-2016 at 02:53 AM.
post #33 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Forgot to mention one of the side objectives of taking out Taurus (if true) is that it will help prop up Fusion sales and possibly steal the coveted mid size sedan sales crown. Maybe.
Even if every Taurus sold was converted into a Fusion sale it wouldn't be close to putting the Fusion at number one. Even so it is confusing as to why Ford appears to be abandoning full size sedans when Toyota, Chevy, Buick, Chrysler, and Dodge continue to make money selling them. The current Taurus doesn't sell because it's horribly packaged, the Fusion is as roomy if not more so.

I cannot help but say this feels a lot like Ford abandoning the small truck market only to find that once another manufacturer actually put in the effort to build a good small truck the segment took off again.

I guess my hope is they're just going to let the Taurus go dormant again for a few years, then reintroduce it with a far superior product when D6 comes on line.

post #34 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Did you just call the Taurus streamlined?
I seem to recall you had plenty of disdain for the Taurus. Or did you mean the new China Taurus, which is not exactly a vast departure from the Fusion.
Yes, I was referring to the Chinese Taurus, specifically the one in the quoted photoshopped image. I still think the current Taurus is beyond terrible.

Quote:
Anyway, I love the immense interior room my Fusion has, which probably requires those 'fastback proportions to achieve.
I don't for a moment think the lower rooflines of a fastback are better for interior volume. Besides I'm not talking about an 80's version of a formal roof line which had almost vertical rear windows, but more like the Chinese Taurus which itself is still more fastback than formal, but works better to my eyes than the Fusion's almost non-existent rear deck.

Quote:
I wonder which is a stronger emotion. Loving something to death or hating it to death. LOL.
Obviously not meant as a serious question, but I'll answer it that way anyways.

Hate requires fuel to maintain, love is it's own fuel... so I would say hate is the stronger emotion simply because it requires conscious participation. And that will be the last of my Dr.Phil moments!

post #35 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Ford Explorer

Behind the Numbers with Erich Merkle: February 2016 Sales

There was a lot of skepticism following January sales, which were down 3 percent. People worried that industry sales – and Ford sales in particular – were down. As I said in last month’s column, January is historically a weak month for vehicle sales, and despite what many people believe it doesn’t set the pace for the rest of year.

February was fantastic. What a month!

Our overall U.S. sales were up 20 percent versus last year, and we had our best retail sales in 11 years. It was a great month, driven largely by hot consumer demand for Ford brand SUVs.

Ford SUVs had their best February sales result in company history, posting a 28 percent gain over last year. We’re moving on Edge, with sales up 91 percent and 12,455 vehicles sold. It’s really good to have Edge back! Our best-selling SUV, the Escape, produced a 14 percent gain in February with 23,854 vehicles sold. And Explorer sales were up 18 percent, with more than 20,000 vehicles sold… in February no less. Let’s face it. February is historically a better sales month than January for the industry, but that isn’t saying much as seasonally January is the worst sales month of the year. A number above 20,000 for Explorer is big.

What’s interesting to note about our Ford SUV sales is that consumers are gravitating toward the high-series models. For example, 35 percent of Edge sales are Titanium and Sport. And 38 percent of Explorer sales are for the Limited, Platinum and Sport models. This happens when products are well executed; people place a higher value on the vehicles.

Ford trucks saw a really solid increase in February with overall truck sales up 15 percent. Sales of our big daddy – the F-Series – were up 10 percent in February with almost 61,000 vehicles sold, making it F-Series’ best February sales performance in 10 years. Our medium trucks – F-650 and F-750 – saw a 62 percent increase in sales in February with 1,147 vehicles sold. And Transit had an incredible month with sales up 70 percent, lifting our overall van sales to their best February performance since 1979. (I think some of us still had 8-track players in our cars at that time.)

You may not realize it, but Ford truck and van sales are a barometer for the U.S. economy. We are the largest seller of commercial vehicles in the country with our F-Series trucks and vans. Many of these vehicles might not be registered as commercial vehicles. In fact, a good number of them are registered as retail sales (because smaller businesses don’t purchase enough vehicles for them to classify as commercial sales). But make no mistake. There are many small businesses across our country. It’s very encouraging to see strong van sales, strong F-Series sales, and of course great F-650/F-750 sales. It’s good for us, and it’s another data point that says that businesses continue to spend.

As you know, the car side of the business has been struggling along with the rest of the car industry as more people move away from cars and into SUVs. However, the exception has been the Fusion. It’s been swimming upstream for a while and February was no different, as Fusion sales were up 12 percent compared to the same time last year, in a very tough mid-size sedan segment.

As I’ve said before, it’s important to watch the first six months of the year because we are set up to have a good first half. While it is still early, February played out very well for us. The SUV segment is so hot right now, and we have some of the best offerings in the marketplace. We need to keep the heat on and deliver on the new Escape and Fusion coming up in the next few months.
FordCosworth likes this.

post #36 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Ford Explorer

I was a bit concerned when I saw the bump in daily rental sales in February, but someone at GMI posted a link to an article that explained them thusly: Ford daily rental sales for the year will be in line with their levels of last year, but unlike last year the deliveries are being front loaded and will be high for the months of Feb-April, then drop off.

Good to see their discipline on this very important issue remains!
2b2 likes this.
post #37 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Ford Explorer

That was an interesting and very positive read.

Jose,
As mentioned in the remarks above, did you take note of the trend in large take rates on premium trimmed vehicles. Edge saw 35% for example. I bet we will see that continue with new Fusion Platinum too. This helps to explain why Ford chooses to equip their value brand products with SOME features that Lincoln offers – profit. So again, the few (very few, IMO) vehicles sales lost at Lincoln, because somebody is upset at shared tech that should be exclusively Lincoln, is easily justified by running the profit numbers on sales that add up into thousands and thousands. Anyway, just continuing that earlier thought/discussion we had. I hope you are starting to see the benefit – more TOTAL sales and profit for the company, not just a brand.

post #38 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Yes, I was referring to the Chinese Taurus, specifically the one in the quoted photoshopped image. I still think the current Taurus is beyond terrible.

I don't for a moment think the lower rooflines of a fastback are better for interior volume. Besides I'm not talking about an 80's version of a formal roof line which had almost vertical rear windows, but more like the Chinese Taurus which itself is still more fastback than formal, but works better to my eyes than the Fusion's almost non-existent rear deck.

Obviously not meant as a serious question, but I'll answer it that way anyways.

Hate requires fuel to maintain, love is it's own fuel... so I would say hate is the stronger emotion simply because it requires conscious participation. And that will be the last of my Dr.Phil moments!

Stretching the interior rearward (especially the seat for legroom) to the point of a minimalist trunk overhang, or as you defined it 'fastback', very much can contribute to interior volume. Very much.

And with that conscious hatred, might I suggest some intervention

post #39 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Stretching the interior rearward (especially the seat for legroom) to the point of a minimalist trunk overhang, or as you defined it 'fastback', very much can contribute to interior volume. Very much.

And with that conscious hatred, might I suggest some intervention
A sloping fastback like the Fusion sacrifices head room for style, it doesn't gain anything in terms of interior volume in comparison to a more upright roofline like that of the Chinese Taurus. Rear seat legroom is determined by wheelbase, not roofline, if it were the other way around then the new larger Taurus would once again be smaller inside.

The Fusions full fastback style was a design choice, though I would guess it also lower drag thus improves efficiency somewhat.
post #40 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
A sloping fastback like the Fusion sacrifices head room for style, it doesn't gain anything in terms of interior volume in comparison to a more upright roofline like that of the Chinese Taurus. Rear seat legroom is determined by wheelbase, not roofline, if it were the other way around then the new larger Taurus would once again be smaller inside.

The Fusions full fastback style was a design choice, though I would guess it also lower drag thus improves efficiency somewhat.
You are so wrong.
I had both generations of Fusion to prove it.

Hint: You are not sloping the rear downward and into head space, but in fact keeping that point fixed and angling back into trunk space.

You can't see that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page