Ford June 2017 Overall Sales Down 5.1%; Lincoln Up 5.3% - Page 5 - Ford Inside News Community
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Ford June 2017 Overall Sales Down 5.1%; Lincoln Up 5.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
They're progressing toward that. I have a tally chart that shows their progress, but since Photobucket will no longer allow me to host images without paying $400 a year, I had to attach it.

The chart shows how many months of the year Lincoln sales fell into each range on the left. You can see they're increasing every year. They didn't have a single month in the 10K range last year, and only December (12K) went over that number. This year, they've already had one in the 10K range and none in the 7K range (while they had 1 last year). Now granted, the year is only half finished, so they could have lower numbers still, but they're definitely trending upward. Navigator arriving late in the year will only help the numbers push up.

I guess my point was that Lincoln has been waffling in the 8-10k for some time but no real movement. As shown below, mkc was not around in 2014 but TOTAL sales are similar. The other models have similar sales to today, give or take, continental washes for mks. So it appears that mkc just took sales from mkz to arrive at similar totals for June 2017.

Lincoln, March 2014
Mkz - 4,052
Mks- 1,034
Mkx- 2,581
Mkt- 556
Navigator - 746

Total - 8,969/March 2014

Total - 9,275/June 2017

Difference of about 300 units to the positive. So growth is glacial. I would have expected better given the two crossovers. They're not bad but they're also not catching on. Same for continental.

Many were saying that continental was the game changer, w predicted sales from 2-5k month. That hadn't happened as I predicted. Now it's navigator that will substantially increase sales. Ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
I hope they (replace the MKT) actually FILL the X//Navi BLANK-SPOT soon(er)
imho
they could go from ~4k per YEAR >> to upto 3k per MONTH
&
without stealing from X or Navi if right-sized
You know what I just thought of.....I read an article mentioning China would get an "all new exclusive crossover model".

I wonder if it could be the 3-row MKX you've been wanting? So it would be "all-new" in the sense of there's never been one, and it's exclusive to China, like the 3-row Edge has been to this point.
2b2 and hbmf3 like this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #43 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker16 View Post
The Irony is Ford invented the modern Sub compact SUV with the original Ecosport in 2003. and in 2017 we still don't have a product to sell.
I believe Suzuki is due credit for the original sub compact crossover in 1988. And maybe even its samurai before that.
2b2 likes this.

post #44 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
I hope they (replace the MKT) actually FILL the X//Navi BLANK-SPOT soon(er)
imho
they could go from ~4k per YEAR >> to upto 3k per MONTH
&
without stealing from X or Navi if right-sized
The Aviator is on the way.
2b2 and Bloggin like this.

Texican1911
Ford/Lincoln/CPO Certified Sales Guy
post #45 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:22 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texican1911 View Post
Funny you should say that. We can't GIVE Energis away. In the 3.5 years I've been here, we have sold 2 and I sold them both. Our current oldest unit is a 1057 day old 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium.
yeahBUT, I've read multiple times that the Z-Hybrid accounts for 1/3rd of total-Z sales in Cali
so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samesun View Post
I guess my point was that Lincoln has been waffling in the 8-10k for some time but no real movement...
note to @rmc523 (& re: December)
please invert your next chart to larger sales at top
& @Samesun I see movement/trend
Quote:
...As shown below, mkc was not around in 2014 but TOTAL sales are similar. The other models have similar sales to today, give or take, continental washes for mks. So it appears that mkc just took sales from mkz to arrive at similar totals for June 2017.

Lincoln, March 2014
Mkz - 4,052
Mks- 1,034
Mkx- 2,581
Mkt- 556
Navigator - 746

Total - 8,969/March 2014

Total - 9,275/June 2017

Difference of about 300 units to the positive. So growth is glacial. I would have expected better given the two crossovers. They're not bad but they're also not catching on. Same for continental.

Many were saying that continental was the game changer, w predicted sales from 2-5k month. That hadn't happened as I predicted. Now it's navigator that will substantially increase sales. Ok.
the only-thing is that the MKZ has had a more complicated 'ride' what with the BOTCH (2013)
imho
makes it hard to compare too much
Samesun likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 07-06-2017 at 05:28 PM.
post #46 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texican1911 View Post
Funny you should say that. We can't GIVE Energis away. In the 3.5 years I've been here, we have sold 2 and I sold them both. Our current oldest unit is a 1057 day old 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium.
Not surprising, given the electric range being so much less than the Volt.
post #47 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Quote:
I guess my point was that Lincoln has been waffling in the 8-10k for some time but no real movement. As shown below, mkc was not around in 2014 but TOTAL sales are similar. The other models have similar sales to today, give or take, continental washes for mks. So it appears that mkc just took sales from mkz to arrive at similar totals for June 2017.

Lincoln, March 2014
Mkz - 4,052
Mks- 1,034
Mkx- 2,581
Mkt- 556
Navigator - 746

Total - 8,969/March 2014

Total - 9,275/June 2017

I don't understand your comparisons here. You compare numbers from March 2014 to June of 2017?

If you want to use those two months, at least compare them to each other.

March 2014 - 8,969
March 2017 - 9,554

June 2014 - 7,271
June 2017 - 9,275

I figured Conti would settle in around 1-2K a month.

MKC and MKX are both up for the year. They may not be lighting the world on fire, but I'd rather see steady, consistent growth than erratic, mixed large gains and losses. I also think the Conti's grille will help them appeal to more buyers that may not like the split wing grille.

Navigator is completely different, as appeals to a broader, growing audience, and people are moving to crossovers/SUVs. Navigator already sells in the 700-1,000 range with an ancient model. Escalade sells in the 2,500-5,000 range every month (regular and ESV combined), so I see no reason why Navigator can't double those sales at minimum, and possibly triple them.
wingsnut and 2b2 like this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #48 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Ford Kuga

The Aviator is at least 3 years away since it's tied to the next-gen Explorer which seems to have been delayed beyond this decade. Originally the Aviator was scheduled for 2018. It's one of the reasons we got that unusual (and very minor) 2nd update for the Explorer for 2018 to bridge the gap. The Aviator will most likely be a 2021 model at the earliest. It's probably related to the cancellation of CD6.

The EcoSport actually started life as the European Ford Fusion, Ford's early attempt at a Fiesta-based subcompact crossover for Europe which didn't do well. Once the car was repurposed for Brazil it started taking on a new identity under EcoSport and organically evolved into the car we have today. It's still a car Ford is struggling to bring under the OneFord banner since it was never designed under that system, but the Brazilian team did such a great job that they've been able to slowly launch it a piece at a time around the world. Globally Ford is the king of the subcompact SUV because of EcoSport but like Focus and Fiesta they probably will never be terribly successful with it in the US...but they don't really need to be.

Last edited by Assimilator; 07-06-2017 at 06:05 PM.
post #49 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:34 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMatt View Post
Not surprising, given the electric range being so much less than the Volt.
In June alone, For sold over 1,600 Energi models. 707 Fusion Energi and 936 C-Max Energi or 9,466 YTD between the two. Volt is averaging about 1,800 monthly which is good especially with its much longer EV range. Energi models 'should' have had a battery power upgrade to 31miles with the update. Ford is doing just that for China launching the same Fusion/Mondeo Energi in China with 31 EV miles(more power dense cells) to qualify for China's EV incentives.
wingsnut, 2b2 and Assimilator like this.
post #50 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
I don't understand your comparisons here. You compare numbers from March 2014 to June of 2017?

If you want to use those two months, at least compare them to each other.

March 2014 - 8,969
March 2017 - 9,554

June 2014 - 7,271
June 2017 - 9,275

I figured Conti would settle in around 1-2K a month.

MKC and MKX are both up for the year. They may not be lighting the world on fire, but I'd rather see steady, consistent growth than erratic, mixed large gains and losses. I also think the Conti's grille will help them appeal to more buyers that may not like the split wing grille.

Navigator is completely different, as appeals to a broader, growing audience, and people are moving to crossovers/SUVs. Navigator already sells in the 700-1,000 range with an ancient model. Escalade sells in the 2,500-5,000 range every month (regular and ESV combined), so I see no reason why Navigator can't double those sales at minimum, and possibly triple them.
I'm not talking month over month. I said Lincoln is waffling between 8-10k sales. Per month. Year after year. Period.

And nothing's changed from my example of March 2014. The month I picked has no significance. It's just a screen shot I found in my pics.

Your March example actually bolsters my point...almost no sales difference in THREE YEARS.

AND CROSSOVERS are trending up. BOF SUVs, not so much. And GM has some pretty strong loyalty for their behemoths. Escalade has solidly sold 3k/m for a long time. Nothing in the market has its presence, good or bad, and I don't see navigator having the same bling attraction. I'll wait to see it in person, but to me, it looks flex-ish and more competitive w Range Rover in style.

I think that the new nav will have its work cut out for it as it will compete with Range Rover, Mercedes and QX80. Its not going to be a choice between escalade and nav. Escalade customers want an escalade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page