Ford Jan.2018 Sales Down 6.6%; Lincoln Sales Plummet 27% (copy) - Ford Inside News Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Ford Jan.2018 Sales Down 6.6%; Lincoln Sales Plummet 27% (copy)

http://shareholder.ford.com/~/media/...8-sales-v1.pdf

What the heck happened to Lincoln? Everything but Navigator down, some pretty substantially....MKX down 1,000 units??

Not many bright spots. F-series eeked out a slight gain, but that's about it for positives.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 02:10 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Ford January 2018 Sales Down 6.6%; Lincoln Sales Plummet 27%

LACK of advert'ing and marketing? ....TY for posting @rmc523

instead of promoting the CITY of the FUTURE, the suits could be DOING SUMthing for their highest-potential Brand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 02:57 PM
Ford Kuga

It could have been a bad month to buy a Lincoln, not sure what the incentive spending was like but that drop is massive. That has to been one of their worst months since 2013. MCEs almost never effect sales that significantly so I don't think the MKC and Nautilus reveals have anything to do with it.

Fusion continues to crater to new lows at a time when I thought it had settled down. If the Fusion is a big money loser, Ford might be eager to reduce the damage by simply dropping as much harmful volume as it can. Edge has the potential to overtake Fusion at some point (not that Edge is growing, just that Fusion is shrinking). The ongoing press about Ford cancelling Fusion may have also put a nail in the Fusion coffin.

Ford's ATPs are going up substantially as they shift more and more of their volume to big trucks and away from their Cars and (unfortunately) SUVs.

It's still just 1-month and it's hard to ignore the fact that Ford is not in good condition right now and it's going to look bad for awhile. It will likely get much worse with RAM and Silverado/Sierra coming online. Since F-Series is their only growth asset right now we should see their margins drop back down to normal with more competitive pressure. Ford usually keeps F-Series sales stable with heavier incentive spending so I don't expect a major sales decline with F-Series over the next 2 years. Ford car sales will certainly drop much farther once Focus and C-Max goes on hiatus so it's going to be a very bad year of stats for Ford, but I think they'll be able to keep their bottom-line stable. EcoSport will add some volume to soften the blow and Ranger will join a new Focus next year to recover some of the volume they are going to lose this year. The Stockholder panic might drive more dramatic decision making if they can't stabilize these numbers in a healthy market so it should be an interesting year.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

ďIím not here to sell carsĒ - Hackett, Ford CEO, in a public speech.

So, the people donít want to buy that Hackett doesnít want to sell.

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Ford Explorer

A little something to offset the disappointing sales report:

Quote:
Ford is selling the high-end Lincoln Navigator so fast it is having trouble keeping up with demand.

The second-largest U.S. automaker has only been rolling out the 2018 Navigator to dealerships since the end of November, but Ford is already straining to produce enough vehicles, executives said on a conference call Thursday.

Navigator sales form a tiny share of Ford's total ó slightly less than 1,300 out of the 161,000 cars the company sold during January. But they were up 97.5 percent over the same month in 2017, even though Ford's overall sales dropped 6.6 percent, and total Lincoln SUV sales fell almost 20 percent.

"We could have sold a lot more in January if we had had them," said Mark LaNeve, vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service.

Furthermore, 84 percent of Lincoln buyers opted for the two most expensive trim levels, the Reserve and the Black Label. Those packages can bring the price of the SUV up to roughly $90,000 and $100,000, respectively.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/01/ford...make-them.html
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 06:52 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
A little something to offset the disappointing sales report:
on the contrary I continually read about Fomoco vehicles having UNPRECEDENTED - UNEXPECTED - UNFULFILLED initial sales of the tippy-top trims...

...I'm sick of that
re-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 07:09 PM
Ford Explorer

Good news for Lincoln

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/01/ford...make-them.html

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 08:37 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
on the contrary I continually read about Fomoco vehicles having UNPRECEDENTED - UNEXPECTED - UNFULFILLED initial sales of the tippy-top trims...

...I'm sick of that
re-
If the situation remains in three months I'll agree with you. But right now as the product is just filtering into dealerships there is no way to start day one with full inventory while also filling pre-orders. The bigger question is once inventory is full and pre-orders are also filled, will the demand remain high? Will the Navigator be able to claw back into contention with the Escalade in terms of volume? The Continental started out around 1500 a month, it settled in just under 1000. Hopefully the floor is a lot higher for the Gator!
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:42 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I am not sure if Lincoln down 27% is good news....neither is that they don't have enough Navis to sell......also all the SUVs were down!
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
It could have been a bad month to buy a Lincoln, not sure what the incentive spending was like but that drop is massive. That has to been one of their worst months since 2013. MCEs almost never effect sales that significantly so I don't think the MKC and Nautilus reveals have anything not do with it.

Fusion continues to crater to new lows at a time when I thought it had settled down. If the Fusion is a big money loser, Ford might be eager to reduce the damage by simply dropping as much harmful volume as it can. Edge has the potential to overtake Fusion at some point (not that Edge is growing, just that Fusion is shrinking). The ongoing press about Ford cancelling Fusion may have also put a nail in the Fusion coffin.

Ford's ATPs are going up substantially as they shift more and more of their volume to big trucks and away from their Cars and (unfortunately) SUVs.

It's still just 1-month and it's hard to ignore the fact that Ford is not in good condition right now and it's going to look bad for awhile. It will likely get much worse with RAM and Silverado/Sierra coming online. Since F-Series is their only growth asset right now we should see their margins drop back down to normal with more competitive pressure. Ford usually keeps F-Series sales stable with heavier incentive spending so I don't expect a major sales decline with F-Series over the next 2 years. Ford car sales will certainly drop much farther once Focus and C-Max goes on hiatus so it's going to be a very bad year of stats for Ford, but I think they'll be able to keep their bottom-line stable. EcoSport will add some volume to soften the blow and Ranger will join a new Focus next year to recover some of the volume they are going to lose this year. The Stockholder panic might drive more dramatic decision making if they can't stabilize these numbers in a healthy market so it should be an interesting year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseodiaga4 View Post
I am not sure if Lincoln down 27% is good news....neither is that they don't have enough Navis to sell......also all the SUVs were down!
There has to be more to it than just a typical down month. 27% in a month is ridiculous. Did they remove all incentives and skyrocket lease rates?

They really need to return to Mulally's tiered sales strategy incentivizing dealers to make more sales to get to the next tier of rewards. And they need to do something about lease rates......if customers can run down to the Cadillac dealer and get an XT5 for 100 less a month or more, they won't come back.

I just don't understand how every vehicle in the lineup can be down so substantially. MKZ I could understand with the shift to crossovers, but vehicles like MKX down 1K units?

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page