Why not bring the Mondeo 5-door to North Amercia as a Fusion hatch? - Ford Inside News Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Ford Ka

Why not bring the Mondeo 5-door to North Amercia as a Fusion hatch?

BMW does pretty good with the 3- and 5-series Gran Turismos and Audi with the A7...it would give them an edge over Chevy's singular bodystyle Malibu as well...

Not everyone who wants utility wants a utility vehicle...
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 11:37 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Why not bring the Mondeo 5-door to North Amercia as a Fusion hatch?

CivoLee, thanks for posting

I've ranted plenty for the Mondeo-5 for Mercury...
...with the examples you mention, I wonder if the structure/mechanism could be adapted to a sport-version of the Z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 06:49 AM
Ford Kuga

My brother was just here in Estonia visiting me for the past 2 weeks, and was freaking out with the numbers of Mondeo, Focus and other brands wagons and 5 door cars.
He is a Ford sales consultant at a dealership in Ottawa Canada. He is very frustrated that he does not have the 5 door and wagon Fusion available, as he is asked every week by customers why is Ford not offering these two variants in Canada. And he gets more requests for the wagon with Focus shoppers. It drives him NUTS.

He also was freaking out how nice the Mondeo's LED headlamps look.

My brother's oldest daughter (25 years old) fell head over heals in love with my Focus wagon. She has been driving Focus & Mazda3 hatches, and keep bugging her Dad why in the **** can't she buy a Focus wagon.
Logans Run likes this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Really is so costly to Ford to produce the 5 door Fusion-Mondeo alongside the current 4 door sedan? The MKZ has more difference with the Fusion, and is assembled in the same line. The 5 door has a market in NorthAmerica, for sure. A huge market? maybe not, but 10 or 20 K more units a year could help Fusion to gain market share

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Ford Kuga

Garage

Tangentially related:

Unexpected success - Subaru XV Crosstrek. This quirky little thing is an Impreza lifted to the Forester's ride height (8.7" ground clearance) and they are EVERYWHERE.

If the rumors of a larger Focus lineup come to fruition, I BETTER see a similar offering from Ford, because it's exactly what I want. If Subaru offered the Crosstrek with the Forester XT's 2.0 turbo and a 6 speed instead of the CVT, I'd buy one this afternoon (just not in the available puke color or bright orange).

Also, if Ford were to somehow lift the Fusion wagon a touch, they could compete with the larger Outback, which also sells very well. There was a day when Subaru offered a Legacy and Legacy Wagon in addition to the Outback (lifted Legacy Wagon). It's fun to entertain the thought. Ford would need a not-shitty AWD system though (hello RS).

'18 F-150 EcoBoost, '05 Mustang GT 5MT; '16 Escape SE; '48 F-1 Stakebody flathead
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 01:26 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
My brother was just here in Estonia visiting me for the past 2 weeks, and was freaking out with the numbers of Mondeo, Focus and other brands wagons and 5 door cars.
He is a Ford sales consultant at a dealership in Ottawa Canada. He is very frustrated that he does not have the 5 door and wagon Fusion available, as he is asked every week by customers why is Ford not offering these two variants in Canada. And he gets more requests for the wagon with Focus shoppers. It drives him NUTS.

He also was freaking out how nice the Mondeo's LED headlamps look.

My brother's oldest daughter (25 years old) fell head over heals in love with my Focus wagon. She has been driving Focus & Mazda3 hatches, and keep bugging her Dad why in the **** can't she buy a Focus wagon.
I also love the Mondeo's headlights including the cool turn signals. Another feature I would love to see make it's way to the Fusion is the Mondeo's black roof. Looks great. (IMHO)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21794[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-Ford-Mondeo-2.jpg (47.3 KB, 8 views)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 11:53 AM
Ford Falcon

The Hatchback that doesn't look like a Hatchback is a unique cultural preference in certain markets, it would not sell well in the US and add to the cost and complexity of manufacturing and stocking a vehicle that is starting to see slow growth anyway.

The Hatchback is the only Mondeo with a full glass roof which is where the black roof comes from. I do believe Fusion needs that full glass roof to compete on the high-end considering there are several other models with this feature already, although I realize Ford is holding back on this stuff for their Lincoln brand. I'm hoping we see some major feature upgrades for Fusion in the next update however, I'm expecting to see standard LED headlamps for example.
scford58 likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:54 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
The Hatchback that doesn't look like a Hatchback...

...The Hatchback is the only Mondeo with a full glass roof which is where the black roof comes from. I do believe Fusion needs that full glass roof to compete on the high-end considering there are several other models with this feature already, although I realize Ford is holding back on this stuff for their Lincoln brand. I'm hoping we see some major feature upgrades for Fusion in the next update however, I'm expecting to see standard LED headlamps for example.
just-imho
the Mondeo5 is one of the few(er) hatchbacks that looks like one.
Most now look like wagon-ettes to me ... or a "wagatch" as we used to say on a Mazda forum back around 2005 about the Mz3

Back when the CD4s were coming out, I had this rant (& chops) about using the fastback style greenhouse for JUST the MKZ (due to PanoRoof) and a Fusion5door
and making the Fusion-sedan more of a notchback...
...guess I still have that rant

...re: this and some other "Why don't they...?" posts lately
imho
a lot of what FoMoCo doesN'T do is
-- cuz they don't HAVE to...'Murcans will buy what they're TOLD to
-- cuz they can force us to spend more on a Cuv

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Ford Ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
The Hatchback that doesn't look like a Hatchback is a unique cultural preference in certain markets, it would not sell well in the US and add to the cost and complexity of manufacturing and stocking a vehicle that is starting to see slow growth anyway.
If I recall, Chrysler did fairly well with the Dodge Lancers/Chrysler LeBaron GTSes and later Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Sundance.

Kia is planning to make a production model of their GT concept as well.

It wouldn't cost much to add a few bits here and there to make it comply with US regs.

[QUOTE=2b2

...re: this and some other "Why don't they...?" posts lately
imho
a lot of what FoMoCo doesN'T do is
-- cuz they don't HAVE to...'Murcans will buy what they're TOLD to
-- cuz they can force us to spend more on a Cuv
[/QUOTE]

Any manufacturer that thinks they can sell me a CUV instead of a much sleeker and more stylish car has another thing coming.

I play in a band and have gear to haul to shows. I sure that makes me the perfect CUV customer in the eyes of more bean-counting auto execs, but I'm also a very 'visual' type of person...if it doesn't look good or at least unique and interesting, I don't care.

I was so disappointed when the Jaguar XE kept its fastback bodystyle but lost its hatch utility when it went into production, resulting in a mail-slot of a trunk opening...

No, the sooner the CUV fad ends the better, because every dollar that goes into the development/production of those kinds of vehicles is money lost for making more interesting cars.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:09 AM
Ford Kuga

I feel for you I really do not think there is a hop in **** that Ford will bring back the wagon for North America. The anti wagon mentality is just too strong from forum posters and what appears to be threatened CUV/SUV owners.

Mondeo wagon is a beauty that is for sure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150616_130939.jpg (401.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20150616_131017.jpg (387.1 KB, 5 views)
Logans Run and scford58 like this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto

Last edited by MKII; 11-04-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
5door, amercia, bring, fusion, hatch, mondeo, north

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page