FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy - Ford Inside News Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy

An OPEN Letter to: Mr. Bill Ford, Jr. and Mr. Mulally,

I fully appreciate and support FORD's idea of "world cars".

In that spirit, WHEN is FORD going to provide the US/NA consumer the benefit of true fuel frugality like the small displacement turbo diesel vehicles listed below rated 52/62.8 mpg(US/Imp) combined (or higher) for the "light footed driver"?

Focus 2010 Onwards

1.6 Duratorq TDCi (90PS) 3/5 Door (ECO) M5 Diesel 65.7 mpg(Imp) combined
1.6 Duratorq TDCi (109PS) 3/5 Door (+DPF) M5 Diesel 62.8 mpg(Imp) combined
1.6 Duratorq TDCi (109PS) 3/5 Door (+DPF) M5 Diesel 64.2 mpg(Imp) combined
1.6 Duratorq TDCi (90PS) 3/5 Door M5 Diesel 64.2 mpg(Imp) combined
1.6 Duratorq TDCi (90PS) Estate M5 Diesel 64.2 mpg(Imp) combined
1.6 Duratorq TDCi (109PS) 5 Door (ECO +DPF) M5 Diesel 65.7 mpg(Imp) combined
1.6 Duratorq TDCi (109PS) Estate (ECO +DPF) M5 Diesel 65.7 mpg(Imp) combined
1.6 Duratorq TDCi (109PS) Estate (+DPF) M5 Diesel 64.2 mpg(Imp) combined


New Fiesta Model Year - Post 2009

1.6 Duratorq TDCi (90PS) (+DPF) (ECO) M5 Diesel 76.3 mpg(Imp) combined


And then there is the issue of the sale of Volvo and Volvo's "DRIVe" and "Stop/Start" technology [that apparently seems able to improve FE by up to 25% over standard power trains] that allows Volvo to have 4X more vehicles [ 2 - C30s, S40, and V50 ] rated ABOVE 61/72 mpg(US/Imperial) combined than FORD's one (1) diesel Fiesta. Besides, generally diesels can tow.
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/sea...lConSearch.asp


Again Mr. Bill Ford, Jr. and Mr. Mulally, when will the US CONSUMER be "worthy" of these "in-house" FORD technologies?

And please do NOT try to hide behind US diesel emissions standards as an excuse ... particularly since Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and VW ... ALL have "50 state compliant" diesel product that now constitutes roughly 20% of their US sales and increasing.

WHEN IS FORD ... going to address this technology and US MARKET SEGMENT for the US consumer ... or is FORD going to "GIFT" this segment to the "foreign" OEMS as has happened with past opportunities?

I guess if Ford's engineers are not up to the task ... Ford could contract with Bosch's new "Emissions Abatement Group" to solve the problem for them. That would export a few more engineering jobs ... but, think what US sales could be with product that could get 45~64, maybe even more, mpg(US) combined and still have the ability to tow.

MANY of US would like to know your position so that WE can PLAN future automotive purchasing strategies.

Sincerely, A CONSUMER ... looking for "44 mpg in 2010"!
44 mpg by 2010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Ford Focus ZX
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 282
Re: FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy

Here is what Ford marketing is likely telling Mr. Mullaly
  1. Only a very small number of people in the US want a diesel. Don't you remember the Oldsmobile diesel fiasco ???!!!!
  2. Diesel fuel cost more than gasoline. Who wants to spend more at the pump and still have to add urea ?
  3. Offering another engine against the EcoBoost would confuse the customers. We have hundred of million invested in EcoBoost. Customers want one best solution !
  4. If all of the above are wrong, we can quickly certify a couple of those European diesel engines for a few applications.
theoldwizard1 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
Re: FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
Here is what Ford marketing is likely telling Mr. Mullaly
  1. Only a very small number of people in the US want a diesel. Don't you remember the Oldsmobile diesel fiasco ???!!!!
  2. Diesel fuel cost more than gasoline. Who wants to spend more at the pump and still have to add urea ?
  3. Offering another engine against the EcoBoost would confuse the customers. We have hundred of million invested in EcoBoost. Customers want one best solution !
  4. If all of the above are wrong, we can quickly certify a couple of those European diesel engines for a few applications.
  1. Apparently Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and VW diesel sales are now about about 20% of their total sales and increasing ...! And that is with many US consumers having concerns about durability and post warranty maintenance costs with at least several of these OEMs.

  2. Fuel price differientials, when compared to the 2008 EPA "light passenger fleet average" of 21~22 mpg (4.65 gallons/100 miles) versus small displacement diesel 45 mpg (2.22 gallons/100 miles OR LESS), do not become significant until diesel pricing is at least 50%~80% higher than gasoline (discounting upfront vehicle cost). As for urea, that is just Mercedes' solution ... there are others.

  3. Is there any chance that a gasoline 1.6 EcoBoost could match or beat the 63 mpg(US) combined fuel economy of the diesel in a Fiesta? IF NOT ... FORD picked the "wrong horse" for the US. Look at all of the time and money waisted developing a weaker solution ... the EcoBoost. From a consumer's point of view what is the "up front price different" between a Turbo EcoBoost and a small displacement turbo diesel?

  4. Wouldn't it be nice IF ... there was a quick low cost way for FORD to test US consumer acceptance of their DuraTorq diesels? I think there is and IF FORD asks I'll gladly give them the info again. I think there are less than about 12 basic DuraTorq engines under 2.5 liters. I am certain there are several different calibrations for each ... but just starting with the 2010 (EU) configurations would be a good place to get maximum maturity.

  5. Keep in mind there is a lot more justifucation for a NEW purchase going from 25 mpg to 50 mpg than to just 30 to 40 mpg. And then throw in the torque of diesels ... for towing when necessary. That could easily mean many MORE SALES ... and GREATER MARKET SHARE!

Just thinking out loud ....
44 mpg by 2010 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Ford Kuga
 
Mbukukanyau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In Front of my Computer
Posts: 1,710
Re: FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy

Ford followed closely by GM are now class leaders in Fuel economy. Fusion and Malibu rival Civic/corolla in fuel consumption.

Their future offerings in the civic/corolla class will be over 40 MPG. thats close to the Prius highway mileage. what more do you want?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mbukukanyau is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Ford Focus ZX
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 282
Re: FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 mpg by 2010 View Post
Just thinking out loud ....
You are applying logic !

Marketing doesn't work that way !!!
theoldwizard1 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
Re: FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy

BRENTWOOD, Essex �� Wednesday, 13 January 2010 ...

http://media.ford.com/news/thenew201...usselsshow.htm

S-Max and Galaxy are roughly 4k pound curb weight 7 passenger vehicles that can tow about 3.8k pounds.

Interesting power train choices including Ford's PowerShift double wet-clutch transmission and

gasoline 2 liter EcoBoost SCTi @ 29 mpg(US) combined - 3.45 gallons/100 miles

diesel 2 liter DuraTorq TDCi @ 41 mpg(US) combined - 2.44 gallons/100 miles

The DuraTorq provides 30% lower fuel consumption rate than the comparable sized EcoBoost.

Anyone have comparative cost information on the 2 Liter EcoBoost SCTi and DuraTorq TDCi?
44 mpg by 2010 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Ford Focus ZX
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 282
Re: FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy

Stop being logical !

You have forgotten that dozens and dozens of Ford middle level management have "bet their careers" on EcoBoost. They are not about to "fall on their sword" for diesel now that the EcoBoost parade is just ramping up !

They have a perfectly wonderful small V8 (4.4L) diesel that they will start building for Land Rover this year, but refuse to put it in any US Ford SUV/truck ! They spent lots of money on engineering and tooling and that engine and don't even want to try and recover the costs !!

Costs of the 2.0L EcoBoost and 2.0L DuraTorq would be pretty similar, except for the engine block. I'm assuming the DuraTorq uses CGI, which is pretty expensive, especially when you factor in machining.
theoldwizard1 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
Re: FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
Stop being logical !

You have forgotten that dozens and dozens of Ford middle level management have "bet their careers" on EcoBoost. They are not about to "fall on their sword" for diesel now that the EcoBoost parade is just ramping up !

They have a perfectly wonderful small V8 (4.4L) diesel that they will start building for Land Rover this year, but refuse to put it in any US Ford SUV/truck ! They spent lots of money on engineering and tooling and that engine and don't even want to try and recover the costs !!

Costs of the 2.0L EcoBoost and 2.0L DuraTorq would be pretty similar, except for the engine block. I'm assuming the DuraTorq uses CGI, which is pretty expensive, especially when you factor in machining.
Yeaup, folks "bet on the horse races" EVERY DAY, but the number of winners are few! And just because a large number of better put money down on a horse does not assure a WINNER! That is what "odds" are about isn't it?

The 4.4L diesel may be a wonderful engine ... but what sort of fuel economy?

Like I have said, folks sometimes bet on their "own horse" and then don't even put them in the race.

Europe and the rest of the world have already demonstrated that a lot can be successfully done with LESS THAN 2 liters, particularly with diesel.

It is going to be interesting to see how diesel plays out in China and India.

BTW, please explain the CGI. I am not familiar with the term.
44 mpg by 2010 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Ford Explorer
 
Andrew L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 5,931
Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 mpg by 2010 View Post
Yeaup, folks "bet on the horse races" EVERY DAY, but the number of winners are few! And just because a large number of better put money down on a horse does not assure a WINNER! That is what "odds" are about isn't it?

The 4.4L diesel may be a wonderful engine ... but what sort of fuel economy?

Like I have said, folks sometimes bet on their "own horse" and then don't even put them in the race.

Europe and the rest of the world have already demonstrated that a lot can be successfully done with LESS THAN 2 liters, particularly with diesel.

It is going to be interesting to see how diesel plays out in China and India.

BTW, please explain the CGI. I am not familiar with the term.
Remember these engines need to meet our standards for emissions, especially California emissions
Andrew L is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
Re: FORD's World Cars & US Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Remember these engines need to meet our standards for emissions, especially California emissions
Yes I know.

VW has already demonstrated that it can be done without eura about 3 years ago.

If Ford's technical staff can NOT get these engines to meet California standards ... they could always subcontract the task to Bosch's new "Emissions Mitigation Group" that started business Jan 1, 2010! Just an idea.

Ford does have some GREAT and quiet small diesel engines! And VERY fuel frugal TOO!!!
44 mpg by 2010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
cars, economy, ford, fuel, world

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome