Ford Inside News Community

Ford Inside News Community (https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/)
-   Letters To Ford (https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/46-letters-ford/)
-   -   Mustang Liftback. (https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/46-letters-ford/4999-mustang-liftback.html)

igotzzoom 09-23-2010 12:34 PM

Mustang Liftback.

Bring back the 3-door Mustang in the form of a liftback configuration. Nearly identical styling to the coupe, but one-piece trunklid/glass, folding rear seats. All the sexy, musclecar appeal of the Mustang, but with double the practicality. Possible power remote liftgate option.

See blog post below:

http://blogs.automotive.com/6548410/...ion/index.html

Andrew L 09-23-2010 01:07 PM

Re: Mustang Liftback.

I think we spoke about this on GMI

and I support this idea!

igotzzoom 09-23-2010 01:28 PM

Yeah, I'm just suggesting it as a line extension, not to replace the coupe. But I think it could broaden the Mustang's appeal considerably.

SobeSVT 09-23-2010 01:53 PM

My only disappointment with the 1994 redesign of the Fox Mustang was the disappearance of the liftback. I guess that back then the liftback's role was covered by the Probe (which ironically was originally planned to replace the entire Mustang line).

The omission has persisted since. I agree with the above opinions, it would be really nice to have e Mustang liftback. There is one problem, whenever it was one, it was always the one with the faster back, and the current bodystyle is already heavily influenced by fastbacks Mustangs of the past . . . I can't see how the back could get any 'faster' . . .

igotzzoom 09-23-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SobeSVT (Post 36095)
My only disappointment with the 1994 redesign of the Fox Mustang was the disappearance of the liftback. I guess that back then the liftback's role was covered by the Probe (which ironically was originally planned to replace the entire Mustang line).

The omission has persisted since. I agree with the above opinions, it would be really nice to have e Mustang liftback. There is one problem, whenever it was one, it was always the one with the faster back, and the current bodystyle is already heavily influenced by fastbacks Mustangs of the past . . . I can't see how the back could get any 'faster' . . .

Honestly, styling-wise, I don't think the liftback would/should look much different than the coupe. Kind of a hidden feature. Only visible styling difference I'd imagine from the coupe would either be a small indentation either on the rear bumper, or just under the rear decklid medallion for a "handle."

SobeSVT 09-23-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotzzoom (Post 36098)
Honestly, styling-wise, I don't think the liftback would/should look much different than the coupe. Kind of a hidden feature. Only visible styling difference I'd imagine from the coupe would either be a small indentation either on the rear bumper, or just under the rear decklid medallion for a "handle."

That would be great, but if they could do that they may as well apply it to all Mustangs, there wouldn't be a point in having two separate cars.

igotzzoom 09-23-2010 02:41 PM

I certainly wouldn't object if the liftback became the main bodystyle, but there are specific applications where the coupe makes more sense. For drag-racers, I'm sure they'd still prefer the coupe because of its lighter weight and (presumably) better chassis rigidity. However, if Ford could keep the weight down and chassis rigidity up with the liftback, you won't hear me complain.

mark492 10-16-2012 04:53 PM

Hey, can't reach to the link you provided..??

mark492 10-16-2012 04:54 PM

What's the problem???

2b2 10-16-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark492 (Post 54651)
What's the problem???

the link in the first post?
considering that this an old thread
I was surprised that the link DID still work for me

btw - I haven't seen any recent speculation about a liftback
(current prediction thread)
but imho that's no reason to give up yet