1966 Ford GT MARK II The Reborn Legacy: How intrepid Ford engineers returned the Indy - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

1966 Ford GT MARK II The Reborn Legacy: How intrepid Ford engineers returned the Indy

1966 Ford GT MARK II
The Reborn Legacy: How intrepid Ford engineers returned the Indy
By Todd Lassa | Photos By Wesley Allison | February 01, 2013 |
Motor Trend

A.J. Fairbairn mashes the 1966 Ford GT Mark II's throttle, unleashing the brapp of its NASCAR V-8 as it echoes off the safety walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The GT40, to use its nickname, feels at home here, even if it has no racing history at the 2.5-mile oval.

The wry New Zealander piloting this Le Mans icon around the central Indiana circuit has a little more history with this car, chassis number 1032. In the 1980s he was a wrench for race teams in Europe, and now, as a restorer for the IMS Museum's sprawling, 400-car collection, Fairbairn is giving taxi rides in the British-bodied, big-bore Yank winner of the Greatest Spectacle in French Racing to the men who restored it. And to me. But my rides are just a warm-up: Soon, I'm going to drive 1032 around Indy myself.

As I take notes, one of those restorers, Mose Nowland, reluc-tantly accepts a ride. He wants others to get a chance, because he's been in the car before -- in 1966, as a Ford engineer working on the Le Mans-Ferrari assault. The car roars off for another series of laps.

Famed NASCAR engine builder and race team Holman Moody ran 1032 in the '66 Le Mans enduro with two other Mark IIs. John Holman sprayed on Number Four's DayGlo green mustache and driver-side rear intake scallop before the race to identify it at night, under Le Mans' iodized vapor lights.

Read more at the link above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 PM
FIN Moderator

Re: 1966 Ford GT MARK II The Reborn Legacy: How intrepid Ford engineers returned the

I really miss the Ford GT. I think Kuzak said 2 or 3 years ago a new one is in the works. It's supposed to get better fuel economy.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Re: 1966 Ford GT MARK II The Reborn Legacy: How intrepid Ford engineers returned the

Quote:
Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
I really miss the Ford GT. I think Kuzak said 2 or 3 years ago a new one is in the works. It's supposed to get better fuel economy.
I believe that Ford should move towards the Shelby GR-1 concept , and create a modern take on the Kamm back Daytona coupe instead of revisiting a new production Ford GT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 PM
FIN Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
I believe that Ford should move towards the Shelby GR-1 concept , and create a modern take on the Kamm back Daytona coupe instead of revisiting a new production Ford GT.
That is a better idea! That was a very sexy car, and it probably will do really well if taken to market. They just need to produce it as it was when it was introduced.

On a side note, Ford may one day buy out Shelby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1966, engineers, ford, indy, intrepid, legacy, mark, reborn, returned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page