Vintage Design: Nesbitt on Mustang II - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT
Vintage Design: Nesbitt on Mustang II

FoMoCoNews.Com Designer Series:
Nesbitt on Mustang II

These sketches from 1971 shows Dick Nesbitt's proposals for the Mustang II. It was a great effort to recuperate the essence of the original 1965 car after the brief but disastrous tenure of Larry Shinoda who came to Ford from GM in the hand of Bunkie Knudsen

The top image shows an ultramodern for 1971 interpretation of the classic Mustang front end with the protuberant grill enclosure and receded headlamps which gone in the Shinoda car with its flat front end. The three side sketches show three different treatments for the rear quarter window in a shape which is very much with what was released in 1974 with its very European style and compact proportions.

~~~

FoMoCoNews.com wants to express its appreciation and gratitude to Mr. Richard Nesbitt, who generously has shared this amazing images with us for a better understanding of the design history of the American car in general and of Ford cars in particular.

Images published with the permission of the artist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Ford Falcon

Re: Vintage Design: Nesbitt on Mustang II

Since this was 1971, I decided that by 1975, Ford might have brought this concept to production, in whcih case, I looked for a 1975 Mustang to see what it looked like

It dehas some of the features above, but it definately its not the same car. I like the Curvature of the windscreen in Mr. Nebsitts design, which does not seem to have made it to production.
Did Ford at the time cary Multiple designs to production for the Mustang?

Got Exclusive News or Exclusive car pictures?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or post them here with Title "Fomoconews Exclusive: .....

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Ford Kuga

I like the second one most. The Hood seems way too long, from where the driver is sitting. Almost like a Cadillac Sixteen

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndwariga View Post
Did Ford at the time cary Multiple designs to production for the Mustang?
Yes. Until 1993 the Ford stuck to the coupe/fastback model mix they introduced in 1964. The convertible died with 1974 model year with the introduction of the Mustang II and revived in 1983, years after the introduction of the all new Fox Mustang in 1978 as a 1979 model.

A 1974 Mustang II coupe and a 1977 Mustang II fastback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbukukanyau View Post
I like the second one most. The Hood seems way too long, from where the driver is sitting. Almost like a Cadillac Sixteen
Yes. The three sketches are beautifully proportioned in the long hood-short deck fashion which is said by many to be a key ingredient in the Mustang early success when cars its size and price where all modeled for utility and practicality. The long hood short deck proportions were reserved to much more expensive cars (like the Sixteen would be today if Cadillac had produced it) and its availability in a low price car was more than well received by the public.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Design Mahārāja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeSVT View Post
FoMoCoNews.Com Designer Series:
Nesbitt on Mustang II

These sketches from 1971 shows Dick Nesbitt's proposals for the Mustang II. It was a great effort to recuperate the essence of the original 1965 car after the brief but disastrous tenure of Larry Shinoda who came to Ford from GM in the hand of Bunkie Knudsen

The top image shows an ultramodern for 1971 interpretation of the classic Mustang front end with the protuberant grill enclosure and receded headlamps which gone in the Shinoda car with its flat front end. The three side sketches show three different treatments for the rear quarter window in a shape which is very much with what was released in 1974 with its very European style and compact proportions.

~~~

FoMoCoNews.com wants to express its appreciation and gratitude to Mr. Richard Nesbitt, who generously has shared this amazing images with us for a better understanding of the design history of the American car in general and of Ford cars in particular.

Images published with the permission of the artist
--The 10-71 illustration was an early proposal for a "Ram-Air Boss" version to carry on the '69-'71 Boss tradition...................
--The 12-71 Coupe designs were a last-minute addition to the Mustang II.
Originally,only the fastback/hatchback was going to be released,but a product clinic review in San Francisco determined that many single young women wanted a coupe version as well.............
-Dick Nesbitt
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Nesbitt View Post
--The 10-71 illustration was an early proposal for a "Ram-Air Boss" version to carry on the '69-'71 Boss tradition...................
--The 12-71 Coupe designs were a last-minute addition to the Mustang II.
Originally,only the fastback/hatchback was going to be released,but a product clinic review in San Francisco determined that many single young women wanted a coupe version as well.............
-Dick Nesbitt
The Ram Air without nostrils sticking out of the hood like a screaming chicken is a great design for it. It helps make the vehicle look sleek while at the same time its sophisticated and aerodymic to look at.
Its amazing that last minute addation look so cool

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Ford Focus ZX

It is nice, very nice indeed, to see these cars looked back on with something other than derision. While some of the later models deserved it, as anything does which goes to the point of self-parody, the original idea was a good one.

Remember, too, that while they are kind of hard to find these days, when the Mustang II first hit the road, you couldn't avoid tripping over one. It's nice to see the concept sketches involved, and entertaining to see how much of the original intent did make it to the showroom.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Ford Ka

Side Commentary - I have always thought that the Ford Maverick was actually truer to the concept of the original Mustang, and should have been the Mustang II, and to me it's a much more balanced designed overall.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejd1984 View Post
Side Commentary - I have always thought that the Ford Maverick was actually truer to the concept of the original Mustang, and should have been the Mustang II, and to me it's a much more balanced designed overall.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8053/8...b121b126_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8330/8...eaf77e4b_z.jpg
Same here, just add a bit of Mustang design cues on the Maverick Coupe and it would have been a nice Mustang.
For me, the best looking Mavericks were the ones before the massive bumpers were added.

Compare that to this sad looking Mustang II below.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Ford Kuga

May I present evidence of one of the few Mustang II's that I personally find amazingly appealing?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mump_1102_01_o+1978_monroe_handler_ford_mustang_ii+front_driver_side_view.jpg (78.2 KB, 3 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
design, mustang, nesbitt, vintage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page