*CGI* 2.7EB = Game Changer ...WardsAuto - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Lightbulb *CGI* 2.7EB = Game Changer ...WardsAuto

imho we needed a new EB thread - so in honor of the new 2.7
putting it here so it doesn't get lost...
...&or maybe get this section renamed!

New Ford V-6 Will Be Game Changer - WardsAuto
Jan. 23, 2014
by Drew Winter in Road Ahead

A picture may be worth 1,000 words, but knowing an engine block’s material composition is worth 10,000.

When Ford announced its new 2.7L EcoBoost V-6 would be made of compacted graphite iron at the North American International Auto Show, most journalists and civilians just scratched their heads. But everyone in the powertrain community knew immediately what the automaker was up to: a super-quiet engine capable of potentially mind-boggling output.

CGI is a metallurgically modified form of cast iron that is 75% stronger than conventional gray iron and 45% stiffer and has double the fatigue strength. These properties allow engine designers to create exceptionally strong architectures that are lighter and more compact with thinner walls and structures. But until Ford’s 2.7L EcoBoost, it only has been used for diesels and some race-car engines...

...with tough fuel-efficiency and carbon-dioxide emissions limits looming all over the world, interest in CGI no longer is primarily focused on reducing engine weight.

“Now, it’s all about downsizing without losing power,” says Steve Dawson, CEO of CGI supplier SinterCast...

...In addition to strength, the material has superb noise, vibration and harshness characteristics... ...“Most CGI engines end up being 0.5 to 1.5 decibels quieter than the old gray-iron engine,” Dawson says...

...The shocker is Ford using CGI for a high-volume gasoline engine. That’s never been done before. This new engine should be capable of handling almost double the cylinder pressures seen in conventional gasoline engines...

More...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: *CGI* 2.7EB = Game Changer ...WardsAuto

^article was found on Mark Phelan's facebook (Auto critic and columnist at Detroit Free Press)
where I also found this post by Wayne Gerdes
"Mark, I spoke with Raj Nair about the use of CGI in the 2.7L block that afternoon since it is heavier than Aluminum and we had all just been provided a release stating up to 700 pounds of weight reduction... In a nutshell, he told me the team used it to strengthen the upper block where the highest stresses were being measured.

I probed about a possible problem with EcoBoost family needing the higher strength and he said nothing of the sort. It is a mix of CGI in the block material at the top with the aluminum heads and the bolted on bottom end. They wanted it in the 2.7L for longevity and ... Then he stopped talking. I recall thinking at that moment Ford may be pushing for a lot more than 100 hp/L from the 2.7L?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 AM
Ford Explorer

Just for the record, as we strive for Diesel like cylinder pressures with all these dense GTDI engines, it is the cylinder head and piston that take the brunt of that work. Think about when that cylinder pressure is at max...right at ignition. So how much engine block surface area is exposed right at that moment.

Just saying.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 AM
News Guru

I think this 2.7l will have great power.......the 3.5l V6 will have between 370-400hp so maybe this 2.7l could have between 310 and 330hp (I left a space for the 2.9l nano EB that IMO will have 340-365hp
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Ford Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseodiaga4 View Post
I think this 2.7l will have great power.......the 3.5l V6 will have between 370-400hp so maybe this 2.7l could have between 310 and 330hp (I left a space for the 2.9l nano EB that IMO will have 340-365hp
I'll bet it will have up to 360HP in top form, but less in other applications...depending on the vehicle.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Ford Focus

I think the big thing with this engine won't be the horsepower, but the torque ratings. I'm guessing around 350-370 lb-ft of torque for the new 2.7. This matches the old 5.4 V8 in power, but will likely get much better fuel economy. Assuming the Ecoboost will be about a $1000 premium (this has been the case for all Ecoboost engines so far) over the base V6, it will be a relatively cheap towing upgrade.

The new 2.7 will be a great engine for people who don't want/need a V8, but occasionally need to do some light duty towing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofl Wafflez View Post
The new 2.7 will be a great engine for people who don't want/need a V8, but occasionally need to do some light duty towing.
If not for power than what do people need a V8 for? This 2.7EB is going to put out more power than many V8's of just a few years ago. If a person doesn't need a V8, then that person doesn't need a 2.7EB!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Ford Kuga

With rumored outputs of the gen 2 Ecoboost engines matching or exceeding 140 hp/ liter specific output I expect the 2.7EB to be very good. Personally I prefer a large understressed latently powerful V8 to an engine that pushes the limitations of specific output.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

So far we have only seen the 2.7 in longitude configuration. I imagine they have already engineered it for transverse applications I am curious on the output numbers for those it could add some serious punch for the MKZ and MKX and maybe even the MKC if they were daring.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 06:12 PM
News Guru

I think the new 3.5l V6 will replace the 3.7l V6 in power and will have 300-310hp, the new 2.7l V6 EB could have between 320 and 350hp, the 2.9l V6 that I hope will be only for Lincoln vehicles could have 360-400hp and the new 3.5l EB more than 420hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
So far we have only seen the 2.7 in longitude configuration. I imagine they have already engineered it for transverse applications I am curious on the output numbers for those it could add some serious punch for the MKZ and MKX and maybe even the MKC if they were daring.
I think the new 2.7l will be in the next MKX and could be in the MKZ (I also think the 2.3l I4 will be as standard engine option in the next MKX and probably MKZ). The new 2.9l could be in the next MKS and MKT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
27eb, cgi, changer, game, wardsauto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page