Virtual-Awds (thru-the-road hybrids/plug-ins) - Ford Inside News Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Virtual-Awds (thru-the-road hybrids/plug-ins)

#1.
Porsche 911 hybrid is go - Motoring.com.Au
by Feann Torr
13 June 2015

Electric performance to boost naturally-aspirated 911 Carerra 4 hybrid from 2018

Two of Porsche's most senior executives have confirmed that the sports car company's most iconic model, the 911, will go hybrid.

Although purists may scoff, Porsche is convinced of the merits of a petrol-electric hybrid 911, which will leverage the technology used in Zuffenhausen's current Le Mans sports car campaign...

...Although the specifications of the next-generation 911, due in about three years, won't be known until closer to its premiere, details of the first Porsche 911 hybrid are taking shape – potentially a Carrera 4 with electrically-driven front wheels and petrol-powered rear wheels...

...With four-wheel drive what you can do, the freedom you have how to use the traction, you're not depending on the speed between the different axles," he said, highlighting the benefits of doing away with a central differential.

Porsche will use September's Frankfurt motor show to reveal a facelifted version of the current 911 (991-series), which will adopt downsized turbo-petrol engines.

However, the 911 (992-series) due in 2018 will require more drastic measures to meet tighter CO2 emissions, hence the adoption of hybrid technology...
Bloggin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 07:53 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Virtual-Awds (thru-the-road hybrids/plug-ins)

It took decades to refine the RR layout to what is now deemed perfect and now they ruin it all by adding weight to the front :-D

Looking ford to seeing this actually.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
It took decades to refine the RR layout to what is now deemed perfect and now they ruin it all by adding weight to the front :-D .
"It would be a Carrera 4, why not? With four-wheel drive what you can do, the freedom you have how to use the traction, you're not depending on the speed between the different axles," he said, highlighting the benefits of doing away with a central differential...

&

...Webber also hinted the downsized turbo-petrol 911s due later in the year and hybrid versions will raise eyebrows...

to me it sounds like what I've been saying about having equal power from petrol & electrics
igor2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

#2.
2016 BMW 225xe plug-in hybrid unveiled
WorldCarFans.com

BMW has introduced the 2016 225xe ahead of its debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Essentially a plug-in hybrid version of the 2-Series Active Tourer, the 225xe features a high-tech powertrain that consists of a 1.5-liter TwinPower Turbo three-cylinder engine, an electric motor and a 7.7 kWh lithium-ion battery. The engine produces 136 PS (100 kW) and 220 Nm (162 lb-ft) of torque, while the electric motor churns out 88 PS (65 kW) and 165 Nm (122 lb-ft) of torque.

Since the engine drives the front wheels and the electric motor drives the rear wheels, the 225xe can be front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive when the two powertrains work together. In the latter state, the model produces a combined maximum output of 224 PS (165 kW) and 385 Nm (284 lb-ft) of torque.

In terms of performance, the car can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 6.7 seconds before hitting a top speed of 202 km/h (126 mph). That's not too shabby when you consider the 225xe has a combined fuel consumption of 2.0 2.1 L/100 km (134.5141.2 mpg UK) and CO2 emissions of 46-49 g/km. More importantly, the model can travel up to 41 km (25 miles) on electricity alone at speeds up to 125 km/h (78 mph).

When the battery is depleted, it can be fully recharged in approximately three hours and fifteen minutes using a conventional household outlet. Customers can also order the BMW 360 ELECTRIC package which includes a BMW i Wallbox which reduces the recharging time to two hours and fifteen minutes.

The BMW 225xe will go into production later this year and German pricing starts at 37,800.

Source: BMW

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

#3.
BMW i8 review: Driving into the future, fast
+ video
Detroit Free Press

By Mark Phelan | October 15, 2015

a base 2015 i8 costs $136,500, as tested
As a window on the future, a prophecy of what the auto industry is capable of, the ★★★ BMW i8 is cause for celebration. As a car you might consider driving every day, the gasoline-electric sports car is delightful and frustrating, in almost equal shares.

BMW threw caution to the winds when it developed the i8. Ergonomics was the next thing to go...

...The i8 is beautiful and advanced as anything on the road. It’s also a pain to get in and out of, and oddly inhospitable to electronic devices like smart phones...

...The i8’s lithium-ion batteries can carry the car 15 miles at up to 75 m.p.h...
...The tiny 1.5L, three-cylinder turbocharged engine produces 228 hp.
The i8’s total power from the electric motor and gasoline engine is 357 hp and 420 pound-feet of torque...
...Those are respectable speeds for a sports car, but nothing special...
...The EPA rates the i8 at... 78 m.p.g.e. in combined electric and gasoline mode, and 28 m.p.g. for combined city/highway on gasoline alone...

...The unusual drive system is easy to get used to, but the i8’s interior is not. Its combination of scissors-style doors, a very low roof and extremely wide carbon-fiber sills make entry feel like a beginner’s lesson in limbo dancing, but less fun. The sill is so wide, and the seats so low, that I found the easiest exit route to be levering myself up onto the sill and sliding across it. The rear seat is barely worth mentioning, more a leather upholstered package shelf than passenger space. Cargo space is a mere 4.7 cubic feet, barely more than a 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata. Pack light.

The controls are legible and easy to use, but the connections for phones and music players leave a lot to be desired. The USB and 12-volt ports are both in compartments that are too small to hold the devices they power. I spent my test drive with an open lid on the center console and no good place to rest my right arm or stow my phone.

The i8’s not a comfortable car, but prophets aren’t sent for our comfort.

From Moses to Cassandra to Steve Jobs, prophets come to shake up the established order, not put us at ease. The BMW i8 does that with Old Testament intensity. It’s a prophet to be honored, if not always enjoyed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i8-a.JPG (33.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg i8-b.JPG (36.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg i8-c.JPG (33.8 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by 2b2; 12-11-2015 at 11:26 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

I felt very remiss about not listing this one yet –for about a minute– seems it's NOT on Toyota's website yet except as a coming model

(new) RAV4 Hybrid fuel economy and pricing announced: 33 mpg combined, entry at $28,370
GreenCarCongress.com

6 November 2015

Toyota anticipates that the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid—unveiled earlier this year at the New York International Auto Show (earlier post) and the eighth hybrid in Toyota’s line-up—will receive EPA ratings of 34 mpg city / 31 mpg highway / 33 mpg combined (6.9, 7.6 and 7.1 l/100 km, respectively) for both 2016 RAV4 Hybrid (trims)...

...The 2016 RAV4 Hybrid combines output from a 2.5-liter Atkinson cycle four-cylinder engine and a small high-torque electric motor through its unique transaxle, delivering a combined 194 system horsepower and 206 lb-ft (279 Nm) of torque. The system varies power between the gasoline engine and electric motor, or combines both as needed, all seamlessly.

Both Hybrid grades come equipped with an Electronic On-Demand All-Wheel-Drive System with intelligence (AWD-i) as standard. A second, independent electric motor drives the rear wheels when needed to help maintain optimal traction...

...Regenerative braking changes the electric motor to a generator that captures the kinetic energy of the still-turning wheels when the brake is applied, storing it in the nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) hybrid battery pack.

The RAV4 Hybrid offers a choice of several driving modes:
• ECO mode optimizes throttle response and air conditioning output to help prioritize fuel economy.
• In EV mode, the RAV4 Hybrid, under certain conditions, will run solely on the electric motor for up to 0.6 miles at lower speeds (below approximately 25 mph).
• SPORT mode supports sporty driving or driving in mountainous regions...

...The hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for eight years/100,000 miles. In applicable states hybrid-related component coverage is 15 years/150,000 miles with the exception of the hybrid battery, which is covered for 10 years/150,000 miles...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-Toyota-RAV4-Hybrid-18.jpg (32.8 KB, 48 views)
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 12-11-2015 at 11:14 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:17 PM
FIN Staff Member

It seems Toyota's Hybrid with AWD-i offers no benefit on the highway. The gas model gets at best 24 city and 31 highway and combined 26mpg. Hybrid offers 34 city and the same 31 highway and 33 combined. 7mpg combined going hybrid and AWD-i.

Let's hope Ford has greater mpg improvement when going AUD with their SUVs. AWD or not.
2b2 likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
It seems Toyota's Hybrid with AWD-i offers no benefit on the highway...
...until you hit ice

but I know you meant mpg, Bloggin

but imho ultimate-mpg may require
-- a chassis designed without any petrol-adaptation inefficiencies/weight (if 3 or 4 cyls, Never had to fit a v6 or v8;
and started with a correspondingly smaller gastank)
-- having the e-hp equal to the petrol's & being able to choose which to use & in what ratios/percentages
-- having mode control over a truly flexible petrol engine that can run in: hi-Turbo / Lo-Turbo / nat.aspirated / Atkinson
+probably cylinder deactivation, ie in larger/performance vehicles

...somehow I don't think those^ are any more complicated than going aluminum

Last edited by 2b2; 12-11-2015 at 11:47 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Focus RS WRC

I really hope Ford's miracle CD6 also includes dual engine accommodation. I would love for it to also be I3-I4 ONLY, but Ford still has some legacy in V6 engines, so that won't happen this generation.

I have my fingers crossed.
2b2 likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2 View Post
...I would love for it to also be I3-I4 ONLY...
I rather expect that of A.M.P but not cD6 which will be the basis of the Aviator/ngContinental

that's part of why I'm thinking A.M.P & cD6 will overlap as far as wlb/ovl/interior room...at the Fusion-Edge/Z-X level...with the Ford's on A.M.P while the Lincolns use cD6...possibly

just hope FoMoCo can have them built on the same assemblyline, if needed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hybrids or plugins, thrutheroad, virtualawds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page