NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s) - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:31 AM
Ford Explorer

Re: NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s)

I have not heard of a 1.2L.
But that does not mean it will never exist.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
If it will materialize, where would it fit though?
Ford's got everything covered from 99hp to 181hp with the 1.0 EcoBoost range and 1.5 EcoBoost range.

There is only a 10hp gap between the top 138hp 1.0 EcoBoost and the base 148hp 1.5 EcoBoost.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:19 AM
Ford Explorer

Well, with the 1.0L existing, it will never exist. But, that does not mean they can't replace 1.0L with 1.2L.

Also, in the article they mention dual injection systems for the race engine requirements (more fuel delivery). That is not the case. Dual fuel exists for several reasons, none of which has to do with increased fuel flow. Any single injection system, be it PFI or DI, is capable of delivering more than enough fuel. The dual fuel was designed into this next gen D35, not for the race program. In fact, I heard they only use one of the fuel systems anyway.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Ford Explorer

The exciting thing about that 2.3 crate motor is the thought of dropping it into an old British sports car, a Triumph or MG, or even an older Miata! You don't even need to push the engine to extreme outputs in those small cars, tune it to around 400/400 and you're talking about not only the ultimate sleeper, but you're doing so without adding much, if any weight over the front wheels, thus you're not undermining the car's handling balance while giving it supercar like speed!!

I understand why people are also excited about this engine in the Mustang, but for me it's V8 or something else, no exhaust rumble no Mustang for me. There is one exception to this rule though, it would be fun to drop this 2.3, tuned somewhere between 400 and 500HP into an old SVO! The SVO is really the only Mustang with fewer than 8 cylinders that I have fond memories of and don't view as being less than a full Stang!

Heck with it, I'm on a roll here, I would also absolutely love to drop the new 2.3 into one of these as my daily driver:

The most beautiful T-Bird since the 60's! Loved them, imagine it with that lightweight 450HP 2.3 under it's hood rather than the 190HP unrefined lump it came with!
2b2 and hbmf3 like this.

Last edited by SP1966; 02-21-2016 at 12:40 PM.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:19 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
Is there space for a 1.2 EcoBoost?
The 1.0 EcoBoost goes up to 138hp, while the 1.5 EcoBoost starts off from 148hp (at least in Europe).

I wonder, what Ford's replacement is for its current Powershift dual-clutch transmission.
other than hearing long ago about .5L being an ideal cylinder-size, thus a 1.5 3-cyl, &
thinking that 150hp-per-liter(-or more) means smaller than 1.0L engines will be useful,
I wonder about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
...Actually I think the next Focus should be 'based' on a EV platform that is modified to fit an ICE platform. NOT the other way around. This way the electrified future of the platform has a better foundation...
about a variant engine-architecture/philosophy primarily meant for generator duties as range-extenders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:15 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Dragon will ultimately replace Sigma and brings 1.2 and 1.5 engines.
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by jpd80; 02-22-2016 at 04:12 AM.
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
The exciting thing about that 2.3 crate motor is the thought of dropping it into an old British sports car, a Triumph or MG, or even an older Miata! You don't even need to push the engine to extreme outputs in those small cars, tune it to around 400/400 and you're talking about not only the ultimate sleeper, but you're doing so without adding much, if any weight over the front wheels, thus you're not undermining the car's handling balance while giving it supercar like speed!!
I'd like to drop that 2.3 crate motor in a euro Mk1 Ford Capri.

...of course with more power than the Focus RS, then i'd give it wide fenders like the race version of the Capri RS to contain the wider wheels and tires.

------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I wonder if I misread a story and assumed a new engine....

There is a reworked 1.2 TIVCT that went into Figi last year but that was an older engine with reworked cylinder head.
Yes, the new Indian made Figo has a naturally aspirated 88PS (87hp) 1.2 Ti-VCT as its base gasoline engine, it's Sigma-based just like the naturally aspirated 1.5 Ti-VCT & 1.6 Ti-VCT engines, and the related 1.5 EcoBoost & 1.6 EcoBoost engines.
The 1.2 has a smaller bore than the 1.5, but the same 76.5mm stroke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford_Capri-rs2600-1970-74.jpg (157.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Ford_Capri-RS-racer.jpg (141.8 KB, 84 views)
2b2 and SP1966 like this.

Last edited by AM222; 02-22-2016 at 05:21 AM.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:59 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ I'll take a Virtual-Awd 1.0EB-PlugIn

&
re: a new platform for emerging markets; via FordAuthority
"Ford India has big plans for the future..."

Market Performance Belies Ford Indiaʼs Ambitions
WardsAuto

Sudhakar Shah - Feb 22, 2016

MUMBAI Ė Despite two lackluster decades in the market, Ford India has formulated new strategies for fresh investment and innovations for the region.

The company is assuming key responsibilities within the Ford organization, particularly as a development base for the automakerís new vehicle platform designated for most of its models in emerging global markets.

The new, flexible platform is expected to reduce production costs between 8% and 10%, Ford says. The technology should enhance Fordís status as one of Indiaís major car exporters; the automaker hopes to eventually sell India-built vehicles in 50 countries...

...the Indian marketís compact-sedan segment is growing, and Ford is ready to respond with the Figo Aspire. It offers power and efficiency, safety and comfort. For those who seek an affordable car, there is the entry-level Figo hatchback. The automaker also is preparing a Figo CUV for launch later this year.

The Figo models are ready for export: the hatchback to Mexico, compact sedan to South Africa and fullsize sedan to the Middle East. Total exports for the 12 months ending in March totaled 81,703, with another 79,590 shipped during the following nine months. In the automakerís favor logistically are ports in Chennai and Gujarat located near Fordís Indian assembly facilities...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 04:36 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^ I'll take a Virtual-Awd 1.0EB-PlugIn
I don't think Ford in India will be developing hybrids since there isn't much of a market for hybrids in that country and most of Asia in general.
Now a simple lightweight small car makes more sense, that will work for Asia and Europe and maybe North America (minor market) if they want to compete with the Spark.

Quote:
Ford India’s Global Engineering Center will lead the platform project. The new architecture aims to generate economies of scale, drive efficiency, fill gaps in Ford’s range of vehicles and grow exports.
-http://wardsauto.com/industry/market-performance-belies-ford-india-s-ambitions

Could this mean a legit lightweight A-segment car to rival the VW Up and Chevy Spark/ Opel Karl twins?

The New Figo/Ka (a slightly trimmed down Fiesta with a taller roof) is more or less still B-segment sized and so is its weight.

Imagine dropping in a 1.0 EcoBoost in an A-segment city car that's some 300-400 lbs lighter than a Fiesta.
Start-inspired city car?
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by AM222; 02-23-2016 at 05:24 AM.
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:27 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

had to swipe this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIron@BON

The 2 generation 3.5L EcoBoost V6 will be a completly new engine. The only similarity will be the displacement 3.5. The new engine will have a dual injection system , port and direct and I have reason till belive that this is because it will have TWO fuels like the BobCat had in 2009.

Mike Levine that now is employed by Ford wrote this article in 2009 as a prediction of the new EcoBoost that was slated to arrive 2016. By an Ethanolinjection, E85, Ford can rise the octane of regular fuels 88-91 to the maximum 130 octane. This leads to improved efficency, less fuel is needed and more power will be the result. The peak combustion pressure will rise from 17 Bar to around 30 Bar and this requires CGI in the block, just like the BobCat had.

The new 3.5L V6 will have a stunning power far over 411 hp.
Pickuptruck
news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/06/sneak-peek-ford-bobcat-dual-fuel-engine.html

and
at page 11 the block material, CGI, same as the 2.7L EcoBoost and the 6.7L PowerStroke
energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/merit_review_2008/fuels/merit08_aagarwal.pdf

Mike Levines Twitter
were he reveals the dual injection systems.
twitter.com/mrlevine/status/703084856641597440
and
twitter.com/mrlevine/status/703203518669320192

"Sounds familiar! :-)"

I might be wrong as I am not a technician. I just found a similarity between the new EcoBoost and the Bobcat project that was intended to be in production 2016. I think that the new GT-engine isnīt out yet. It will come late this year.

(hope the Links work - haven't tried them yet)

Last edited by 2b2; 02-28-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ecoboost, ford, gen2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page