NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s) - Ford Inside News Community
 42Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo
 
badhac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Newport News VA
Posts: 1,121
Garage
NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s)

Gen2 Ford Ecoboost ...
I was trying to find a tread about the Ecoboost in general to post this, but no luck. I'm curious to see what all is known about the Gen 2 Ecoboost. So far what I know pertains to the 3.5 V6, I know it's completely new other than displacement and cylinder count. I also know its using a combination of port and direct injection. Also I know Ford is hard at work on a lag reduction, but from my experience there really isnt any lag to speak of other than the 1.0 engine.

I've been wondering if the 3.5 or other Ecoboost motors are going to go to the CGI block like whats used in the 2.7 and 1.0 engines. Also curious if Ford is going to employ the heads with built in manifolds so the turbo is mounted right to the heads like the 1.0 Ecoboost. Also what other improvements they plan on making as far as friction reduction or anything else to address parasitic loss. Also will they use a twin scroll turbos or variable vane turbos or e-turbos.

Lastly what if any of the new technologies like the fuel injection added to the smaller Ecoboost 3 and 4 cylinders.

Last edited by 2b2; 11-07-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: just adjusting thread-title
badhac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 03:39 PM
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
re: NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s)

^ there were some old threads but imho it's Good you started a fresh once, Badhac

I'll just reference & link an old generation-graphic
EcoBoost Predictions


my (limited) understanding is the "in-head exhaust plumbling" is a characteristic of gen2

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 11-07-2015 at 06:40 PM. Reason: fixing Link
2b2 is offline  
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Ford Mondeo
 
badhac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Newport News VA
Posts: 1,121
Garage
re: NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s)

Thanks a lot 2b2 this is good stuff and actually brings me to something I had wondered pondered the idea of using Miller Cycle with the Ecoboost. Also hoping for cylinder deactivation for the larger engines. Honestly I'm really excited for whats coming.
badhac is offline  
 
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 06:35 PM
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
re: NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s)


Ford: Details Of Next-Gen 3.5L EcoBoost
(SEMA 2015)
EngineLabs.com

By Mike Magda
Nov 4, 2015

The next-generation 3.5-liter EcoBoost will utilize a dual fuel system that pairs direct injection with port injection, and looking over the new Ford GT racecar on display at the SEMA Show prompted a discussion with Ford officials to learn more about that strategy. ..

...The new EcoBoost that will power not only the racecar but also the production model will need extra fuel, as the twin-turbo V6 is expected to exceed 600 horsepower...

...The new 3.5-liter will share only name and displacement with the current engine. The clean-sheet design has a new block, cylinder head and bigger turbos in addition to the new intake system. The 3.5-liter was the first of the EcoBoost lineup when it was introduced in 2009. Other engines bearing the name have already been “turned over,” such as the 2.0-liter becoming the 2.0-liter twin-scroll and the 1.6-liter became the 1.5-liter. There’s also been a new 2.7-liter, and recently Ford announced the coming of a 3.0-liter version. But the 3.5-liter model has hung in there since the start.

“It’s the oldest EcoBoost engine in the lineup, and we’ve learned a lot since 2009,” says Seredynski. “We needed a version that reliably makes over 600 horsepower.”

The new 3.5-liter EcoBoost will actually be revealed before the racecar goes to Le Mans next year or the production GT hits the showroom. The new Raptor is already slated to get a slightly detuned version of the 3.5-liter with estimates of close to 450 horsepower and more than 430 lb-ft of torque for the legendary off-road beast.

“Then, of course, it will be available for other applications,” says Seredynski...
hbmf3, Bloggin and badhac like this.

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 11-21-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added bolded part = PRODUCTION MODEL...only Raptor?...Conti??
2b2 is offline  
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 12:03 AM
FIN Staff Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
I'll just reference & link an old generation-graphic
EcoBoost Predictions
Based on this chart, it looks like Ford's new hybrid technology will be EcoBoost based. I wonder if it will come with the refreshed Fusion Hybrid/Energi, or have to wait for the next gen.
Bloggin is offline  
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 12:14 AM
FIN Staff Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,891
SEMA 2015: Ford Performance Uncages The 2.3-Liter EcoBeast


Fordís 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine has taken off with more popularity than the Blue Oval could have imagined. These cars are popular with consumers and are even inspiring racers and enthusiasts nationwide, including our own StangTV project car.

A big question for EcoBoost enthusiasts and those on the outside has been about the engineís durability. Itís easy enough to add more boost, but the block design of the 2.3 encounters many of the same issues as that of its 3.5-liter cousin. Under high boost, high RPM, the cylinder bores could shift. Another question with regard to durability is that of the internal components. While the 2.3 utilizes a forged crankshaft, the factory rods and pistons remain weaker cast parts.

For the hardcore enthusiasts and races looking to build a 2.3 EcoBoost in a rear wheel drive application, whether its for a Mustang or classic Ford Performance, the answer has just arrived in the form of Fordís all new EcoBeast short block.

ďItís only that we have the production engines, the next step is to take it to the next level,Ē says Fordís Mike Delahanty. The EcoBeast has the bore bridge saw-cut eliminate to strengthen the blockís deck area. Then there are cross-drilled cylinder cooling passages below the deck bridge. The cylinders are fully honed to OEM specifications, and the setup uses a Livernois Motorsports coolant jacket and deck reinforcement insert, similar to what Livernois developed for the 3.5 EcoBoost engine.

ďThis is for enthusiasts who want to make big power with a lot of boost,Ē says Delahanty. The work doesnít stop there, with the EcoBeast also receiving Mahle forged pistons good for 9.5:1 compression ratio, Manley Forged rods with ARP2000 rod bolts, and ARP main beam studs in place of bolts for increased thread engagement and strength.

Ford hasnít said how much horsepower the EcoBeast is good for, but weíd wager itís going to be well over the 600-700 range. The 2.3-liter EcoBeast is part number M6009-23EB and will be available in the spring of 2016.
2b2 likes this.
Bloggin is offline  
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:10 PM
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
Re: NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s)

via Biker16 on BON
MKII likes this.

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 02-20-2016 at 07:19 PM.
2b2 is offline  
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 05:12 AM
Focus RS WRC
 
jpd80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
Re: NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s)

I'll be interested to see the 1.2 I-4 Ecoboost when it arrives, I have a hunch that Ford NA is holding off
switching away form the 2.0 DI until that engine and transmission is ready. Sure Focus could go to the
global 1.5 EB and auto or 5-speed manual but would they for the last two year before the plant closes?
jpd80 is offline  
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:43 AM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,709
Re: NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
SEMA 2015: Ford Performance Uncages The 2.3-Liter EcoBeast


Fordís 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine has taken off with more popularity than the Blue Oval could have imagined. These cars are popular with consumers and are even inspiring racers and enthusiasts nationwide, including our own StangTV project car.

A big question for EcoBoost enthusiasts and those on the outside has been about the engineís durability. Itís easy enough to add more boost, but the block design of the 2.3 encounters many of the same issues as that of its 3.5-liter cousin. Under high boost, high RPM, the cylinder bores could shift. Another question with regard to durability is that of the internal components. While the 2.3 utilizes a forged crankshaft, the factory rods and pistons remain weaker cast parts.

For the hardcore enthusiasts and races looking to build a 2.3 EcoBoost in a rear wheel drive application, whether its for a Mustang or classic Ford Performance, the answer has just arrived in the form of Fordís all new EcoBeast short block.

ďItís only that we have the production engines, the next step is to take it to the next level,Ē says Fordís Mike Delahanty. The EcoBeast has the bore bridge saw-cut eliminate to strengthen the blockís deck area. Then there are cross-drilled cylinder cooling passages below the deck bridge. The cylinders are fully honed to OEM specifications, and the setup uses a Livernois Motorsports coolant jacket and deck reinforcement insert, similar to what Livernois developed for the 3.5 EcoBoost engine.

ďThis is for enthusiasts who want to make big power with a lot of boost,Ē says Delahanty. The work doesnít stop there, with the EcoBeast also receiving Mahle forged pistons good for 9.5:1 compression ratio, Manley Forged rods with ARP2000 rod bolts, and ARP main beam studs in place of bolts for increased thread engagement and strength.

Ford hasnít said how much horsepower the EcoBeast is good for, but weíd wager itís going to be well over the 600-700 range. The 2.3-liter EcoBeast is part number M6009-23EB and will be available in the spring of 2016.
Thanks bloggin.
This is another reason I am so excited about turbo I4 proliferating into the aftermarket. Imagine that you can start with an I4 Mustang that is a solid performer yet offering great fuel economy, and then progress through staged upgrades that are very affordable and easy to do, right up to a short block swap that is capable of so much power, as the basis of a super tuner. And who would be expecting this kind of power from an I4?

**********************

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wingsnut is online now  
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:54 AM
Ford Falcon
 
AM222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,621
Re: NextGen Ford EcoBoost(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I'll be interested to see the 1.2 I-4 Ecoboost when it arrives
Is there space for a 1.2 EcoBoost?
The 1.0 EcoBoost goes up to 138hp, while the 1.5 EcoBoost starts off from 148hp (at least in Europe).


I wonder, what Ford's replacement is for its current Powershift dual-clutch transmission.

Last edited by AM222; 02-21-2016 at 08:39 AM.
AM222 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
ecoboost, ford, gen2

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome