Ford Announces $4.5 Billion Investment in “Electrified” Vehicles by 2020 - Page 10 - Ford Inside News Community
 285Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 346 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:22 PM
FIN Staff Member

Re: Ford Announces $4.5 Billion Investment in “Electrified” Vehicles by 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^ good point, SP ....

...will the FEV cost HALF as much
That's going to be a problem for the FFEV, unless it's $10k less than a 200 mile EV.

Plugless Power is taking orders for the wireless charging for the Model S now. So I expect it to be available for the Model 3 when it comes out. That means with AutoPilot, the Tesla will be able to go charge itself!!!
wingsnut and 2b2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 346 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 01:20 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
^ @Bloggin , do we(you) have ANY idea how many FEVs are sold year/avg.month?

( & yes, I'm wondering what would happen to sales with ~$10k of plushness added...
...with or with out doubling the batteries )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Below are numbers for each month of 2015. But understand that Ford has not really marketed or built an inventory for this vehicle so sales are based on 'unavailability' of the vehicle.

Ford
Focus Electric

Jan - 85
Feb - 145
Mar - 140
Apr - 124
May - 165
Jun - 152
Jul - 135
Aug - 176
Sep - 145
Oct - 126
Nov - 93
Dec - 96

2015 - 1582
V!TY
&
it's as I feared = practically ANY increase for Lux-fripperies wouldn't/COULDN'T make sales *significantly* worse or more meaningless

tho now I'm wondering about other sales info, like
Who...gov'mint agencies?
Where...Cali mainly?
bought or leased?
What...FoMoCo's first serious BEV will be like? &
When?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 346 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:53 AM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
V!TY
&
it's as I feared = practically ANY increase for Lux-fripperies wouldn't/COULDN'T make sales *significantly* worse or more meaningless

tho now I'm wondering about other sales info, like
Who...gov'mint agencies?
Where...Cali mainly?
bought or leased?
What...FoMoCo's first serious BEV will be like? &
When?
I am hoping it's coming with the NEW Hybrid that is to appear before 2020. Tesla has made it perfectly clear that there must be a dedicated EV platform for the future. I am hoping Ford/Lincoln starts with the Model 3/3-Series size 200+ mile EV, starting at the $35k price before $10k in incentives.

I think.....Ford understands once there is an affordable EV sedan/SUV that offers 200+ miles or range, and consumers go there, they won't come back to ICE engines. Which makes the rest of Ford's product line redundant for that customer. This is the trend currently. So Ford and other auto manufacturers offer less than what the customer wants, keeping them in the ICE vehicles auto manufacturers invested so heavily in.

Many may keep the bigger suv for long road trips, or just rent for the occasional long road trip, but the EV with zero gas, charging at home at night, and virtually no maintenance...will become the primary mode of transportation.

I think Ford should offer a sedan/sportback and CUV 'top hat' using the same 200+ mile EV platform and let the customer make their choice.

Actually I think the next Focus should be 'based' on a EV platform that is modified to fit an ICE platform. NOT the other way around. This way the electrified future of the platform has a better foundation.

One thing I know for sure, is my next car will be a 200+ mile EV. Model 3 is at the top of the list, followed by a used Model S that is really too big. Bolt is too dinky, the rest don't offer enough range to own for several years when we can get double the range for about the same price.

post #94 of 346 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:09 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
I am hoping it's coming with the NEW Hybrid that is to appear before 2020. Tesla has made it perfectly clear that there must be a dedicated EV platform for the future. I am hoping Ford/Lincoln starts with the Model 3/3-Series size 200+ mile EV, starting at the $35k price before $10k in incentives...
Quote:
...I think Ford should offer a sedan/sportback and CUV 'top hat' using the same 200+ mile EV platform and let the customer make their choice...
/yet
imho Tesla is seen as a step up from the Ford Brand
&
(perhaps/at less-urban dealers/...vs-more specialized(dedicated EV)dealers) it might mean something to some customers not to have to wade thru fields of F-series to get to the EV section/lone on-lot example ... or find a sale person who bothers to know about EVs

Quote:
...Actually I think the next Focus should be 'based' on a EV platform that is modified to fit an ICE platform. NOT the other way around. This way the electrified future of the platform has a better foundation...

Quote:
...before 2020...
wonder when in ^those 46 months??
if not towards the 'front-end' of them,
imho 'we' really need a major update like-now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 02-21-2016 at 04:32 PM.
post #95 of 346 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 05:37 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^^ kept slipping my mind to say
imho it's very interesting to see 200 miles all-of-a-sudden become such a THRESHOLD - imho artificial:
in that
all the 'data' from when the Volt came out about how 90% (?) of commutes (or daily driving) is actually under 40 miles

guess the new requirement is "everything less than a roadtrip"

ref
2016 Hyundai Ioniq HEV review
AutoCar.co.UK
- Hilton Holloway - 16 February 2016

...The plug-in hybrid and EV versions of the Ioniq get progressively bigger battery packs that are squeezed under the boot floor and, in the EV, also replace the fuel tank. There’s no news on the size of these battery packs, but Hyundai is estimating an EV-only range of 32 miles for the PHEV and 155 miles for the EV...
...The Ioniq is probably the most normal-feeling small hybrid yet...

"with starting pricing expected to be close to $30K--before the tax credit" (CarSpyShots)

Last edited by 2b2; 02-21-2016 at 05:57 PM.
post #96 of 346 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:38 PM
FIN Staff Member

Dec 11
Hyundai and Kia sign licensing agreement with Paice
"Paice, a pioneer in hybrid electric vehicle technology, has reached an agreement to license all of its hybrid vehicle technology to Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors Corp. Paice has now licensed all or part of its hybrid vehicle technology portfolio to Toyota, Hyundai/Kia, and Ford – three of the world’s six largest automakers."

There seems to be a bit of drama going on between Paice and Ford

"Ford has a limited licensing agreement with Paice that applies only to Paice’s first patent. When the companies were unable to reach a licensing agreement on subsequent patents, Paice filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Ford in February 2014 in U.S. District Court in Baltimore."

With the result so far being....

"The PTAB ruled in September 2015 that the claims of Paice’s hybrid vehicle patents at issue in these three Ford petitions are not patentable, concluding that prior art cited in these petitions renders the technology at issue obvious. The decision involves two of the five patents – U.S. Patent Nos. 7,104,347 and 8,214,097 – that Paice has accused Ford of infringing. Paice believes that these matters were wrongly decided and intends to appeal the rulings."

I wonder if these issues were what slowed Ford's pace with adding hybrid and Energi drivetrains to more vehicles. But with the patent court ruling in Sept 2015 that what Paice want's to patent is 'obvious' technology that a skilled artisan would conclude, it's all go for Ford and the implementation of hybrid tech across the board.

So maybe now we will see a MKZ Energi?

Mind you, from what I have read from the documents, Ford only licensed a limited amount if early gen tech from Paice, and developed their own next gen hybrid tech from there. But Hyundai and Kia, along with Toyota are licensing everything directly from Paice.

You can read the documents here
post #97 of 346 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:29 AM
FIN Staff Member

"Despite the rise of electric vehicles (EVs), especially from the likes of Tesla Motors, it wouldn’t be wrong to predict that low oil prices will continue to drive demand for ICE (internal combustion engine) cars. "
http://www.profitconfidential.com/st...-the-skeptics/

It's not that low gas prices are drive demand for ICE vehicles, but it's that we have not yet had affordable longer range EV available yet. Tesla at the top end is a prime example of how gas prices have less to do with the EV purchase than most think.

Backing that up, looking at total EV and plug-in hybrid sales in NA, Tesla leads them all by a wide margin. YTD 3,170 units for a full EV and at the top of the price segment. Ford is actually #2 at 2,500 YTD including Energi plug in and Focus Electric.

I predict that it will be the $25k(after tax credit) 200+ mile EVs coming later this year and next that ramps up EV sales. Because now it's not about buying cheaper gas, it's about buying ZERO gas, and almost ZERO maintenance, with charging at home while you sleep, with quiet, fast acceleration, and the highest safety ratings. Many will hold on to the one ICE vehicle for long trips, but the primary driver will be the EV for daily driving.
2b2 likes this.
post #98 of 346 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 07:01 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Interview: 13 new electrified FoMoCo vehicles for JUST $4.5 Billion

Meet Ford's Kevin Layden, who'll spend $4.5 billion on 13 new electrified vehicles
AutomotiveNews

Richard Truett - March 29, 2016

Rather than retrenching from electrified vehicles, Ford is doubling down, committing $4.5 billion to develop the next generation of EVs and powertrains. And Layden is the man who will spend a big chunk of that cash.

Layden, 53, a 30-year Ford veteran, has spent his career trying to make things work more efficiently. He’s had a hand in developing many of Ford’s award-winning European diesel engines as well as the trend-setting, 1.0-liter, three-cylinder engine available in the Fiesta and Focus.

Although Layden could drive any vehicle in Ford’s fleet, his family runs a stable of plug-in hybrids...

interview
AN: If we are going to live in a world of cheap fuel where pickups and SUVs dominate sales, what do you think is the best way to electrify these heavy vehicles? We see GM coming out with a belt-alternator system on trucks, for example, but we know that consumers have not valued hybrid trucks.

Layden: Ford has announced we will do a [hybrid] full-size SUV/truck by the end of the decade. We were pioneers in making great product that matched consumer needs but also came with hybrid technology. The Escape Hybrid was well-received and provided great attributes. You can bet that Ford will not disappoint anyone when we do SUV/truck hybrids. We have the technology and the experts to make a fantastic vehicle with no compromise on attributes.

AN: In December, Ford committed $4.5 billion for electrified vehicles. So, obviously, the decision to invest that kind of money isn’t based on short-term fuel prices. Can you give us a flavor on how some of that money will be spent? For example, can you say some will go to fuel cells, some for research into batteries, maybe next-generation electronic continuously variable transmissions, etc.?

Layden: Ford will deliver 13 new electrified vehicles by 2020. This is the big push,delivering more and better electrified vehicles -- [hybrid-electric vehicles], PHEV and BEV.

As part of this effort, we will be driving down costs of batteries, inverters and other EV components. We’ll develop the next generation of the Powersplit front-wheel-drive transmission and rear-wheel-drive applications previously announced (?).

In addition, we will continue our research efforts, which are not included in the $4.5 billion. We continue working with our supplier partners to bring to market new battery technology, and we’ll continue working with great universities, such as the University of Michigan, to search for new breakthroughs and to develop new relationships. We will continue fuel cell research and development in Vancouver with our partner, Daimler. Ford is very active in the pure science, research and development of all electrified efforts.

AN: GM was first with a range extender in the Volt, and now BMW has one in the i3. Does Ford think a range extender is worth a second look?

Layden: We’re very comfortable with the efficiency of the Powersplit transmission as a PHEV choice. The overall efficiency can’t be matched by a range extender. You can look at some of our key competitors, such as GM, who have increased the size of their engines and gone to a powersplit configuration to try to close the gap with Ford on attributes including fuel economy.

AN: What lessons have been learned from the Focus Electric that can help improve the marketing appeal of whatever replaces it?

Layden: We learn from every vehicle we produce. We constantly evaluate quality and customer satisfaction. The Focus Electric is no different. We see that customers love to drive electric. They find the charging system easy to understand and convenient. They love the full, five-passenger seating. For their next vehicle, they are expecting Ford to deliver continuous improvements, such as more range, more range and more range. With the 100-mile version of the Focus Electric coming next year, we will have an even more compelling product. With DC charging, we’ll have more flexibility. We’ll still have great durability, reliability and overall quality.

AN: I know you can’t talk about future products in great detail, but can you say whether Ford is interested in electric rear axles? We are seeing them start to reach the market in Europe.

Layden: You have to make sure you are spending the money correctly. If you can deliver all-wheel drive without an electric-rear-axle design, that’s a good thing because you avoid an incremental rear motor and incremental inverter, which can be expensive relative to a mechanical gearbox. At the same time, an electric rear axle does give you some flexibility to do some things that you might not be able to do with a mechanical all-wheel drive, some packaging flexibility. We are definitely evaluating it.

@YellowZx5 , who last I checked owns a FEV
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 03-29-2016 at 07:04 PM.
post #99 of 346 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:26 PM
FIN Staff Member

"If you can deliver all-wheel drive without an electric-rear-axle design......"

OK, how could that be done. Offer AWD in an EV without an electric rear axle?
post #100 of 346 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:14 AM
Ford Sport Ka

Quote:
"If you can deliver all-wheel drive without an electric-rear-axle design......"

OK, how could that be done. Offer AWD in an EV without an electric rear axle?
Have the electric motor in the front turning the driveshaft to the rear the same way it is done with an ICE?
Bloggin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electric, ford, investment, lincoln

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page