Peeking Inside The GM/Ford Transverse Nine Speed Transmission - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 12:14 AM
FIN Staff Member

Re: Peeking Inside The GM/Ford Transverse Nine Speed Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
The 9 speed should be about a year from now, maybe slightly longer.
GM launches in about a year. Is a few months really worth all the drama and concern.

And NO, Lincoln should not have waited.
That's not how they typically do things.
It's all in the timing. If the Continental was to have the 9-speed at launch, it would have been delayed until MY2019 at the earliest. The 10-speed in the highest volume vehicle has to launch first in the current F-150, then in refreshed Mustang and Next Gen Expedition/Navigator.

Ford has to get those new launched underway before launching another new transmission in next gen models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:49 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

Three for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne

GM plans 10 models with 9-speed transmission by ’17
TheDetroitNews

Michael Wayland, December 6, 2016

...four for its Chevrolet brand...
...2017 Malibu...$32,000 — $10,000 more than the standard L model with 1.5-liter turbo...
...followed next year by the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze diesel with the 1.6-liter diesel engine...
...2018 Chevrolet Equinox with available 2.0-liter turbo...

...GM declined to disclose what models outside of Chevrolet will feature the new transmission. But GM confirmed it is compatible on other vehicles with the same platforms of the three announced vehicles. Meagher said a fourth Chevrolet vehicle with the transmission will “be announced very soon.”...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:53 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

...GM transmission
quote:

GM's new 9-speed has all sorts of patents on it because they managed to get 9 forward gears while using about half the parts one would expect in a transmission with that many speeds. I don't understand the full technical ramifications of what GM did, but apparently it is fairly groundbreaking transmission design. It's seriously tiny as far as transmissions go. Physically, there's no reason they couldn't fit it in cars as small as the Spark or Adam...
hbmf3 likes this.

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus

Thanks 2B2! Enclosed is an article on the new GM/Ford Nine-Speed automatic transmission published by WA in early December 2016.

http://wardsauto.com/technology/new-...-limit-gm-says
2b2 and MKII like this.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:59 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

@hbmf3 ^
I still need to learn WTHeck a "selectable 1-way clutch" is
+ "The new 9-speed yielded GM 60 new patents and required 800 prototypes"... I fear they needed MORE
&
crossreferences:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
&
Last year's GM/collaboration 9-speed transmission... thread in the CompetitionNews section

hbmf3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Ford Focus

copy/2017 Chevrolet Malibu Premier: A flawless transmission helps this family

Enclosed is an AW article on the 2017 Chevrolet Malibu Premier. The brief article is significant because of it's take on the nine-speed automatic transmission, GM developed with Ford. If the nine-speed automatic is this good in the Chevy, it bodes well for future applications in Ford products.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...ppy-turbo-four
2b2 likes this.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:15 PM
Ford Kuga

Re: 2017 Chevrolet Malibu Premier quick take: A flawless transmission helps this fami

GM makes superb transmissions so I'm very glad Ford is taking advantage of their expertise, it has been sorely needed. I have never seen a glowing review of a Ford transmission like this in my life and it has always been the achilles heal in every Ford or Lincoln I've owned, although they have worked miracles on most of the 6-speeds combined with EcoBoost.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: 2017 Chevrolet Malibu Premier quick take: A flawless transmission helps this fami

Where is the review? There is barely a couple brief paragraphs. Do you have to find a sub link or something?

And let's not blow too much smoke up GM's ass, while simultaneously condemning every single Ford transmission in history. They both have made less than stellar pieces that were thin skinned in the past as well as workhorse units. Overall, I would conclude that GM has done better, but let's not get carried away. The Ford engineered 10 speed appears to be a great unit too. It has done well with GM's calibration in the Camaro Z28, which is far easier than a truck with 7 shift modes. I understand the truck to be a nightmare in calibration. But when it appears with Mustang, it should also receive praise. One hopes anyway.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:54 PM
FIN Staff Member

"Chevrolet's 2017 Malibu will arrive with an optional nine-speed automatic transmission that improves fuel economy by 3% and marks the brand's first implementation of a nine-speed automatic."

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/chan...17-malibu.aspx
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Where is the review? There is barely a couple brief paragraphs. Do you have to find a sub link or something?

And let's not blow too much smoke up GM's ass, while simultaneously condemning every single Ford transmission in history. They both have made less than stellar pieces that were thin skinned in the past as well as workhorse units. Overall, I would conclude that GM has done better, but let's not get carried away. The Ford engineered 10 speed appears to be a great unit too. It has done well with GM's calibration in the Camaro Z28, which is far easier than a truck with 7 shift modes. I understand the truck to be a nightmare in calibration. But when it appears with Mustang, it should also receive praise. One hopes anyway.
Here is a little more of a review...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/12/...vrolet-malibu/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page