new v8 ... so SOON? - Page 5 - Ford Inside News Community
 37Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotch View Post
Thanks for the reminder, Topnotch

forgot to post this:

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 12-30-2016 at 03:36 PM.
2b2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 PM
Ford Explorer
 
Andrew L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 5,877
Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Makes me wonder if D6 can handle a V8 which way will it be mounted?
My mind started wandering while I thought about this during lunch and did some searches to see if there ever was a transverse RWD vehicle some stated you could always remove the front drive shafts of an AWD vehicle then someone brought up Ford's T drive concept from the 90s which was a sideways mounted I6 and I8 RWD architecture. They eventually abandoned it because of reliability and vibrations. Realistically the engine I would imagine be N/S facing but we shall see!
2b2 and badhac like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Andrew L is online now  
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:56 AM
Ford Mondeo
 
badhac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Newport News VA
Posts: 1,066
Garage
Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
My mind started wandering while I thought about this during lunch and did some searches to see if there ever was a transverse RWD vehicle some stated you could always remove the front drive shafts of an AWD vehicle then someone brought up Ford's T drive concept from the 90s which was a sideways mounted I6 and I8 RWD architecture. They eventually abandoned it because of reliability and vibrations. Realistically the engine I would imagine be N/S facing but we shall see!
Never heard of the T-drive concept. Looked it up and saw they did see they did a Tempo with a DOHC Inline 8
2b2 and Andrew L like this.
badhac is online now  
 
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Ford Explorer
 
wingsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,391
Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

T-drive was a concept that had an output shaft coupled through a center gear system between two crankshafts spinning opposed to each other. The idea was t cancel out shaking forces. It worked good. In theory. I was actually involved in early concepts. I was never too impressed with it.

**********************
"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
wingsnut is online now  
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
2b2
Mercury C557
 
2b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N NW of Atlantis (Reno)
Posts: 22,734
Blog Entries: 6
Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

not a new thought but sorta from the other direction...

we'd heard about a new, smaller, closer-to-4L, v8 a while ago
what IF
the 4.8approxLiter(289") v8 was not the first priority?
but
that's just the largest they could stretch the smaller one (4.0-4.4)??
& we're just hearing about this bigger variant first???
.
jpd80 likes this.

.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2b2 is offline  
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Ford Escort
 
asrapid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Croatia
Posts: 60
Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
not a new thought but sorta from the other direction...

we'd heard about a new, smaller, closer-to-4L, v8 a while ago
what IF
the 4.8approxLiter(289") v8 was not the first priority?
but
that's just the largest they could stretch the smaller one (4.0-4.4)??
& we're just hearing about this bigger variant first???
.
Nano V8 ...something like that wasn't it?
2b2 likes this.
asrapid is offline  
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:15 PM
Ford Focus ZX
 
jpd80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 490
Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

I keep getting this sense that large gasoline engines stll have an important role in
Super duty and Medium Duty trucks. At the moment, the 6.2 V8 and 6.8 V10
seem to be filling those roles well in F250 and F650 but the trucks between and
above, not so much...

So that got me wondering if a larger gas engine of say, 7.0 liters would be of
benefit in the F350-F550 zone while an even bigger gas engine (7.5-8.0 liters)
would be an even better fit for the Medium Dutys...

See, I have this feeling that the big gas engines give a grea up front price discount
to buyers wanting a capable truck but not necessarily one that will be maxed out
by towing or pay load, just dependable mechanics in a larger package.

Last edited by jpd80; 01-01-2017 at 08:17 PM.
jpd80 is offline  
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Ford Escort
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 62
Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I keep getting this sense that large gasoline engines stll have an important role in
Super duty and Medium Duty trucks. At the moment, the 6.2 V8 and 6.8 V10
seem to be filling those roles well in F250 and F650 but the trucks between and
above, not so much...

So that got me wondering if a larger gas engine of say, 7.0 liters would be of
benefit in the F350-F550 zone while an even bigger gas engine (7.5-8.0 liters)
would be an even better fit for the Medium Dutys...

See, I have this feeling that the big gas engines give a grea up front price discount
to buyers wanting a capable truck but not necessarily one that will be maxed out
by towing or pay load, just dependable mechanics in a larger package.
I think a 4 valve 7 liter might be the hot ticket to replace the V10. That should work well in the F750 too. Ford can add mild boost if they feel the need for more torque.
LEDandSafety is offline  
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Ford Explorer
 
SP1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,356
Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrapid View Post
Nano V8 ...something like that wasn't it?
SP1966 is offline  
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:27 PM
Ford Focus ZX
 
jpd80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 490
Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDandSafety View Post
I think a 4 valve 7 liter might be the hot ticket to replace the V10. That should work well in the F750 too. Ford can add mild boost if they feel the need for more torque.
The issue is that the 6.8 V10 is not quite big enough for medium Duty trucks.
Yes, the 7.0 V8 should add nore gasoline sales to the larger Super Duty trucks and probably add
more efficiency to the Medium Dutys but really an even bigger gas engine would be the ticket for them...
jpd80 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome