Ford Inside News Community

Ford Inside News Community (https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/)
-   FoMoCo Engineering (https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/49-fomoco-engineering/)
-   -   new v8 ... so SOON? (https://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/49-fomoco-engineering/23306-new-v8-so-soon.html)

2b2 12-19-2016 10:24 PM

new v8 ... so SOON?

Sources Say: F-150’s 4.8L V8 To Feature Dual Injection, Replace 5.0L Coyote
FordAuthority

by Aaron Birch — Dec 19, 2016

Should the refreshed, 2018 Ford F-150 and 2018 Ford Mustang bow at next month’s Detroit North American International Auto Show as we’re expecting, both cars might have the same new, normally-aspirated 4.8-liter V8 wedged under their hoods.

The engine, which was alluded to during discussions of the new labor contract between Unifor and Ford Canada, will outright replace the 5.0-liter “Coyote” V8 currently found in both the Ford F-150 and Mustang GT, according to an unnamed source. The same source tells us that this new engine will feature dual injection – that is, both direct and port fuel injection – to achieve greater efficiency than the outgoing 5.0L...

...The combination of both dual injection, and variable valve timing like that found on the Coyote, should permit a higher compression ratio than the Coyote’s respectable 11.0:1. With higher compression generally comes more power, meaning that the new 4.8L could well outperform the 5.0, despite its slightly smaller displacement...

Logans Run 12-20-2016 09:49 AM

Re: new v8 ... so SOON?

Does higher compression favor horsepower or torque more?
I am guessing this will have better performance, and slightly better MPG than the Coyote with the 10-speed.

badhac 12-20-2016 09:49 AM

It does seem odd to me that they would be coming out with a completely different motor already rather than applying the updates to the Coyote. Wonder if it will maintain the current flathead style firing order or go back to the modular V8 firing order.

Andrew L 12-20-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhac (Post 237202)
It does seem odd to me that they would be coming out with a completely different motor already rather than applying the updates to the Coyote. Wonder if it will maintain the current flathead style firing order or go back to the modular V8 firing order.

Maybe they still will do updates for the 5.0 but only for something like the Super Duty? Wonder if anything will be shared at all with the 4.8 but from the sounds of the article it might be all new.

badhac 12-20-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingsnut (Post 237218)
For what it's worth, Coyote upgrade includes slightly bigger displacement.

So are you saying the Coyote is being upgraded in conjunction with this new 4.8 V8? Are we talking like a 5.2?

AM222 12-20-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Sounds like it's going to be the cross-plane sibling of the flat-plane 5.2-liter Voodoo V8.

Texican1911 12-20-2016 06:58 PM

I do not like this, not one little bit.

ZanatWork 12-20-2016 08:57 PM

I worry that Ford is misunderstanding the power the "5.0" badge carries...but I'm very curious about the upcoming engine(s)...!

SP1966 12-20-2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZanatWork (Post 237282)
I worry that Ford is misunderstanding the power the "5.0" badge carries...but I'm very curious about the upcoming engine(s)...!

As iconic as the 5.0 badge is I think the power is in making as much as reasonably possible in this hyper competitive sports car market.

asrapid 12-21-2016 01:34 AM

Quote:

Soooo... 5.2L Aluminator XS:smile2:
Do you know maybe will 4.8 l V8 (if it exist) have ecoboost version?