Leading in Electrification - Page 10 - Ford Inside News Community
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:26 PM
FIN Staff Member

Re: Leading in Electrification

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I see that Bolt sales dropped in February, under 1K. Considering all the pent up demand, what happened? Did Bolt already achieve it's high water mark? Some are calling EV's the hottest trend, but I don't see anything close to that just yet.

But, I think Ford is wise to bring an EV CUV and truck to market though. Especially the truck.
More importantly, stay ahead of the market with hybrids and PHEV.
The Bolt was an EV with an intended low demand built in. Chevy took the slowest selling body style in the US, and put in on their EV platform. Huge compromise. Only a very few would want to buy/lease or be seen driving a $40k sub-compact econobox. A $40k car should look like it costs $40k. This is why the Model 3 has close to 400k paid deposits waiting for delivery starting late this year. I expect to see a jump in Model 3 reservations once the final production model is shown in July.

Chevy would have done much better with putting the EV powertrain under a new Volt body, and saved so much development time and dollars...and Chevy knows this. Chevy is limiting their EV sales on purpose. Bolt even with it's 200+ mile range, still offers too much of a compromise for a $40k car.

This as an EV would sell much better.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 11:27 PM
Focus RS WRC

Why doesn't GM base its EVs on a popular selling model like Equinox, Cruze or Malibu?

It's like they set themselves up for failure with a small vehicle that has limited appeal.....
Bloggin likes this.
post #93 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

I hope Ford chooses a path that includes profitability for their next EV platform. GM's rumored losses per Bolt sale are not exactly something any company wants to work toward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:43 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I hope Ford chooses a path that includes profitability for their next EV platform. GM's rumored losses per Bolt sale are not exactly something any company wants to work toward.
Losses suck to be sure! So does being late to the party.

Ford needs to find a balance of investment and ROI in the near term that I would think lies closer to investment than return. Once electrification and autonomous vehicles begin to become the norm there is going to be massive contraction within the industry IMO. It would suck to find yourself on the outside looking in because you were too conservative as the industry approaches this crossroad. By all outward appearances Ford executives seem to be of similar opinion.
2b2 likes this.
post #95 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

The early bird gets the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 05:27 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
Wonder what happens to the partially built San Luis Potosi plant, and the supplier park development already underway. Plus all the transportation infrastructure that has been done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
thought I'd made a post with a pic of the S.L.P steel framework - can't find that thread...

Ford's loss on canceled Mexico plant will be lower than expected
AutomotiveNews
- Michael Martinez- April 27, 2017
Why a "$1.6bn" car plant has been left to decay
BBC News, Mexico,
By Zoe Thomas, 24 May 201

& thread @ GMi
&
Quote:
I wonder...
New 9-Speed Pushes Tech Limit, GM Says
WardsAuto
| James M. Amend | Dec 7, 2016

...As for now, a fourth model also will receive the 9-speed soon, perhaps on a redesigned GMC Terrain midsize CUV. GM expects 10 vehicle models to use it by the end of 2017. It is built at GM’s San Luis Potosi, Mexico, manufacturing operation after a recent $131 million investment to accommodate its production...
if Ford's main plan was for vehicles built in their cancelled San Luis Potosi factory?

Last edited by 2b2; 05-31-2017 at 05:30 AM.
post #97 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:45 PM
Ford Kuga

It's safe to assume Ford stopped well short of actually spending $1.6BN.

As for the transmissions... I have to hold my tongue on this one since it's pretty easy to get a little frustrated by the poor job they've done with ATXs for so many years. When I hear Ford scaling back on a GM design that was suppose to fix their woes, I get very skeptical.

Last edited by Assimilator; 05-31-2017 at 03:36 PM.
post #98 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 06:47 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
It's safe to assume Ford stopped well short of actually spending $1.6BN.

As for the transmissions... I have to hold my tongue on this one since it's pretty easy to get a little frustrated by the poor job they've done with ATXs for so many years. When I hear Ford scaling back on a GM design that was suppose to fix their woes, I get very skeptical.
"DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co.ís loss on its aborted Mexico plant in San Luis Potosi totaled $153 million, 23 percent less than it had originally booked."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...-than-expected
2b2 likes this.
post #99 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 06:17 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

guess the bleak foto of San Luis PotosŪ (above) makes this thread a valid choice for posting the first 2019my OrderGuide I've seen
...which...
indicates (careful word choice) that the Fusion Hybrid drivetrain will NOT get updated within that timeframe

...wonder if the MKZ still could?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2019 Police Responder Order Guide.pdf (74.8 KB, 18 views)
Bloggin likes this.

post #100 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 06:46 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
guess the bleak foto of San Luis PotosŪ (above) makes this thread a valid choice for posting the first 2019my OrderGuide I've seen
...which...
indicates (careful word choice) that the Fusion Hybrid drivetrain will NOT get updated within that time frame

...wonder if the MKZ still could?
hummm...this makes no sense to me. MY2019 Ford/Lincoln should be offering the next gen hybrid drivetrain. 2018 Camry Hybrid models mpg is at 53 city and 51 highway and 46/47, with a 2019 Fusion Hybrid at 43 city and 41 hwy is just embarrassing.

Which explains why we haven't heard anything about the 'new' hybrid system, which means Fields had it put on the back burner with the EV technology.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page