Leading in Electrification - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Re: Leading in Electrification

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Frump has little to nothing to do with this.

Awesome awesome awesome. It's about time Ford got on the ball with electrification. They're falling behind fast! But things like a hybrid F-150 and Mustang will put them towards the top yet again.
I think Ford is still second only to BMW in total EV vehicles sold.
But electrification includes PHEV and hybrid too, and with that metric, I think Ford is second only to Toyota. I may be wrong.

Edit: BTW, I don't consider a Volt an EV vehicle, but a PHEV.
Ed753 and FloridaMatt like this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."

Last edited by wingsnut; 01-03-2017 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Volt Comment added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:13 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Ok ok ok this is big news and lots of questions rolling in my head now.

Hybrid Mustang has my ear! They stated V8 power which makes me believe that it won't be paired with the V8 but maybe the 2.3 EcoBoost? It's all in how it's worded

Quote:
A hybrid version of the iconic Mustang that will deliver V8 power and even more low-end torque
But correct me if I am wrong. Either way that will give the Mustang an edge in the muscle car competition. We are seeing this market change quite a bit with the AWD Challenger as well (too bad it's only a V6 though).

BUT if this is the 2.3 EcoBoost hybrid I hope to god that it makes it in the MKZ Hybrid giving the Lincoln some differentiation between the Fusion Hybrid. Interesting times a head!

I hope Continental gets a hybrid option as well though this news seems to be for Ford only.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:13 PM
FIN Staff Member

7 Electrified Vehicles Confirmed:

* Also note that Ford is very loose/vegue with what will be a hybrid and what will be a plug-in hybrid

1. F-150 Hybrid - as we know just hybrid won't offer much more power--for long, or power to run a generator, but plug-in hybrid will.

2. Mustang Hybrid - plug-on hybrid is necessary for as much power needed for the Mustang to be fun to drive.

3. 300+ mile small SUV EV

4. Ride Sharing Hybrid

5. Transit Custom plug-in hybrid (Europe Only)

6. Pursuit Rated (NG Explorer/Expedition) Hybrid (plug-in hybrid)

7. Pursuit Rated (NG Taurus) Hybrid (plug-in hybrid)

There are still 6 more to go by 2020 or 2021....

Last edited by Bloggin; 01-03-2017 at 12:26 PM.

post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:13 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Ford Adding Hybrid F150, Mustang, Transit by 2020 in major EV push; expands US pl

C'mon Ed get with it!
Ed753 likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Ok ok ok this is big news and lots of questions rolling in my head now.

BUT if this is the 2.3 EcoBoost hybrid I hope to god that it makes it in the MKZ Hybrid giving the Lincoln some differentiation between the Fusion Hybrid. Interesting times a head!

I hope Continental gets a hybrid option as well though this news seems to be for Ford only.
i thought LINCOLN when I read about the wireless charging. The Lincoln customer should not have to plug-in their vehicle at home every night, it should charge itself....that's luxury. I did notice the announcement had no Lincoln news...so expecting something else for Lincoln to come soon.
post #16 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Im kind of curious about the hybrid Mustang as all thats going to do is add weight. Wondering if it maybe will be a regular RWD Mustang with electric motors on the front wheels that could provide torque vectoring as well as AWD grip. The F150 is a no brainer, augmenting the gas engine with a high torque electric motor. Also using the truck as a generator at the job site.
post #17 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 PM
FIN Staff Member

An all-new fully electric small SUV, coming by 2020, engineered to deliver an estimated range of at least 300 miles, to be built at the Flat Rock plant and sold in North America, Europe and Asia

That big 100 kWh battery pack(same as Tesla P100D) should have Ford creating their first EV platform (battery on wheels). Hopefully the way it's designed allows for NG Focus, Escape, C-Max top hats to share the platform. Along with NG MKZ, Fusion/Mondeo and New Lincoln sedan and coupe.

100 kWh.....same as the biggest Tesla battery pack, but small enough to fit under a compact car. I also wonder if Ford will install the same pack, but offer more power/range/upgrades at additional cost via software updates. 'software limited battery packs'.
post #18 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:00 PM
FIN Staff Member

Ford Mustang Hybrid due in 2020, and it may be powerful

Jan 3, 2017

We all knew this day was coming, but it's just something an auto enthusiast can't prepare for. A Ford Motor Company [NYSE:F] Mustang Hybrid is happening, and it will be here in just a handful of years.

To be specific, 2020 is when the Mustang will add a hybrid model. Details are slim, but Ford confirmed it's happening. Claims are it will have the power of a V-8 with even greater low-end torque.

Naturally, when enthusiasts think hybrids they think Toyota Prius, and then they get the shakes. One has to believe Ford isn't willing to risk ruining the heritage it has built with the Mustang nameplate just to increase fuel economy.

Aside from fuel economy, hybrid systems do have at least one performance advantage. An electric motor and battery pack combine to provide instant off-the-line torque. That torque fill could allow Ford to use larger turbos that take longer to spool up. The result would be more power.
post #19 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:07 PM
FIN Staff Member

* In addition, Ford announces that its global utility lineup will be the company’s first hybrids powered by EcoBoost® rather than naturally aspirated engines, furthering improving performance and fuel economy.

NG Expedition/Navigator, NG Escape/MKC, NG Explorer/Aviator
2b2 likes this.
post #20 of 106 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

By 2020, next gen EB engines that are uniquely built and optimized for hybrids will be available. Today’s hybrids use existing engines with little more than different cam profiles. We have found many ways to further optimize, especially through reduced friction. All combined, these next hybrids will be much more efficient. This is also why I have been pro hybrid instead of EV. And speaking of EV, I bet this new CUV includes AWD. Something currently lacking.
Bloggin, badhac and Rickman like this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page