Re: Ford's Future Engine Story
Watched the full video and here are a few things that stood out:
- Electrification means 'it has a battery', which means the 48-volt electrical systems, 60 volts hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and EV all fit.
- Hybrid Mustang was mentioned that it could have an electric motor tied to the rear axle
- The 3-cylinder engine with cylinder deactivation 'could' make it to the US, and cylinder deactivation can work with constant speeds up to 70 or higher on a flat surface.
- 10-speed transmission is the max number of gears before benefits drop substantially for combustion engines
- Electrified vehicles would benefit from having a 2 or 3-speed transmission in the future.
I was waiting for them ask about combining the 3-cylinder engine with cylinder deactivation with electrification, but it didn't happen. But it seems that electrification at lower speeds, and cylinder deactivation, just 2 cylinders at higher speeds, would boost hybrid and plug-in hybrid efficiency.
No questions about Ranger or Bronco????