DHL, Ford Unveil Jointly Made Electric Delivery Van - Ford Inside News Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
DHL, Ford Unveil Jointly Made Electric Delivery Van

BERLIN (AP) ó Deutsche Post DHL Group and U.S. automaker Ford have unveiled a jointly manufactured electric delivery van amid growing demand for emission-free utility vehicles.

The StreetScooter WORK XL merges a Ford Transit chassis with an electric drivetrain designed for the German logistics giant.

It's the third and largest electric delivery van made by DHL, which began manufacturing its own vehicles after finding none that met its specifications.

DHL plans to put 2,500 of the new electric vans on the streets of major cities by the end of 2018. Each van will save 5 metrics tons (5.5 tons) of carbon dioxide a year.

The company has started selling its smaller models to third parties and said Wednesday that the StreetScooter WORK XL should be available for purchase as well in future.

Read More Here: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...c-delivery-van
2b2, ZanatWork, Bloggin and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:29 PM
FIN Staff Member

Re: DHL, Ford Unveil Jointly Made Electric Delivery Van

Dang.....current automakers didn't make the EV the commercial industry wanted, so the industry made their own, becoming an auto manufacturer and selling it to other businesses.

With this one, it sounds like it's DHL's drivetrain and Ford offered the vehicle since this is not the first EV commercial vehicle that DHL has produced and is selling. Now DHL will be a competitor in the commercial market for EVs where Ford has no offering itself. Ford is still testing a PHEV with a combustion engine, while DHL wants an EV and has to make their own.

Who's next...Fed-EX and UPS?

Ford better get on the EV band wagon or they will give the commercial consumer too much momentum where they won't need Ford. Ford should be offering an EV version of all sizes of the Transit Van to meet the quickly growing global demand.
2b2 and FordSUVfan like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 07:11 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

I wonder what the range is on these. I know load will affect it but just curious on an approximate.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5

i sent a tweet to FOrd on twitter saying they're so far behind that I don't think anyone is going to want to buy a Ford EV since GM and Tesla have their cars already out. Ford I believe has 2 years still before they can even reveal it.

Current Car; 2018 Focus EV 115m Range
2015 Focus EV 75m Range, 2013 Cmax Energi, 2010 Fiesta, 2007 Milan, 2005 Ranger, 2002 Focus Zx5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vermont Drive Electric Ambassador
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:02 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowZx5 View Post
i sent a tweet to FOrd on twitter saying they're so far behind that I don't think anyone is going to want to buy a Ford EV since GM and Tesla have their cars already out. Ford I believe has 2 years still before they can even reveal it.
If you've sat in a Bolt, you'll see it's nothing special.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowZx5 View Post

Did Ford tweet back that they have been selling EV's long before GM?

I know Ford loses money with Focus EV and that GM loses plenty on Bolt, but does anyone know what Tesla loses per sale? Anyone do the math?

Come on Ford, hurry and spend billions so that you too can lose big, or bigger.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:59 AM
Ford Sport Ka

I understand that as a company, Ford must make a profit in order to stay in business. How long will Ford push out mediocre cars and expect brand loyalty to carry it? I'm a Ford fan but I'll be honest in saying that the latest crop of VW vehicles do look enticing. Today it's the iPhone, Android generation. If you're not in the market, you have no Mindshare. No minshare, no sales. Even if you bring out a superior product. Ask the Android phone manufacturers, even superior product cannot erase that momentum. Ford is headed the same way. Even if they just put on display a proposed new chassis, and extoll the virtues of it, it might convince the cocaine nosejobs in Wall Street to give Ford a second glance. It can also generate some positive buzz and that might persuade some to put off the purchase of a vehicle until the car arrives. You can also make a decent EV get a positive vibe going for it and artificially limit quantity in order to limit the losses the company incur by selling it. You can even consider it a marketing expense. Tesla is like the iPhone of the car world, except the profits. They have the Mindshare, All they need are the volumes and the profits will follow. What will Ford then do? Its this cheapening of my favourite Ford cars that has me worried. Just remember the age old adage, it takes money to make money.
Bloggin likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:04 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
GKN Driveline supplies drive technology to electric vehicle company

30 January 2017
http://www.materialstoday.com/metal-...ve-technology/

''GKN Driveline has partnered with StreetScooter, an electric vehicle company owned by Deutsche Post DHL Group. GKN Driveline will supply its electric drive technology, the Family 2 eTransmission system, to transmit torque from the eMotor to the wheels of a new StreetScooter zero-emission electric van.
GKNís system has an output torque of up to 2000Nm and reportedly has improved noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) characteristics and efficiency. Other applications for the system include the Fiat 500e city EV and the CitroŽn Berlingo Electric light commercial vehicle.
StreetScooter is a start-up formed by leading German technical university RWTH Aachen to develop more affordable electric commercial vehicles for urban operations. Following a successful trial, Deutsche Post DHL intends to deploy around 2,000 new StreetScooter vehicles in its urban delivery fleet by the end of the year.
Germany Inc....
2b2 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Ford Explorer

Ford really needs to get their next gen EV message out there soon.
If for no other reason than to mitigate all the whining.
ZanatWork likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:08 AM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Germany Inc....
So this clarifies things, Ford just provided the truck, GKN was responsible for the EV drivetrain and DHL for specs and manufacturing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page