Ford Will Ease Into EVs - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:47 AM
Ford Kuga

Re: Ford Will Ease Into EVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
Do you think the Audi R8 is profitable? Do you think the Acura NSX is profitable? Those cars, like the Ford GT, are Halo cars... their function is to attract buyers to the dealers , to show the advanced tech and improve the image of the brand, not to produce money. The GT is the perfect halo car-
Except you will never see a Ford GT at a Ford dealership, neither will you find a relatable scale of products, and Audi has been making the R8 for 11 years with no plans to stop.

The Ford GT is a beautiful creation, if I could buy one I would, but it's completely irrelevant to a company that still needs to sort out the basics and it's certainly not Audi or Acura.

I'd be more willing to celebrate the Ford GT if Ford was a healthier carmaker, the GT won't change its fortunes because we already know it's not here to stay.

Last edited by Assimilator; 08-30-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
The MKC is getting a major facelift for 2019 while the Escape will be all-new in 2020, still confused by this product cadence, especially as it relates to electrification.

So we can put names to more than half of the new electrified products.

F-150
Expedition
Navigator
Mustang
Escape
Kuga
MKC
Transit Custom
Model E

The F-150/Expedition/Navigator hybrid will be the biggest news for the EV industry but I suspect GM and RAM will get there first with their 2019 trucks so it's good to get that messaging out ahead of them.

Lincoln could really use an electrified Continental and MKX.
Ram/GM get there first? What are you talking about? There's been zero talk about them having such programs at all.

I too don't understand their timeline with Escape/MKC. 2019 is a refresh for MKC, and I'd be surprised if they somehow added a plug in to that. Next gen of both, absolutely, but not sure about the refresh.

Quote:
Except you will never see a Ford GT at a Ford dealership, neither will you find a relatable scale of products, and Audi has been making the R8 for 11 years with no plans to stop.

The Ford GT is a beautiful creation, if I could buy one I would, but it's completely irrelevant to a company that still needs to sort out the basics and it's certainly not Audi or Acura.

I'd be more willing to celebrate the Ford GT if Ford was a healthier carmaker, the GT won't change its fortunes because we already know it's not here to stay.
I'd hardly hold up Acura as any sort of success story.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #23 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:26 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Ram/GM get there first? What are you talking about? There's been zero talk about them having such programs at all.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/chevrol...ybrid-pickups/

post #24 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

hope I get all these quotes straight...
Quote:
...I think right now Ford is behind every one in the industry in the electric/hybrid/plug-in-hybrid vehicles field, but by 2020 will be ahead every body...

Quote:
...Is easier to produce a Luxury electric sedan (Tesla) with sales around 90000 per year, or a new compact hatchback (VW) , than to produce an electrified version of the best seller vehicle in USA, a pick up truck used for hard work and with sales of more than 800000 units per year. If Ford can do it, will be the leader of the industry in the electric area.
EXACTLY WHY Fomoco shoulda been electrfrying LINCOLN FIRST!!

Quote:
Do you think the Audi R8 is profitable? Do you think the Acura NSX is profitable?...
...halo car
Quote:
"The GT has ZERO impact on Ford from a cultural or customer perspective" "Is an unsustainable 2 year aberration" " and has no impact on any other Ford project or tech"...
Quote:
...I'd hardly hold up Acura as any sort of success story.
What do you think about this others aberrations like the Audi R8 or the Honda/Acura NSX? Are aberrations, too?...

...Maybe not, because are produced by Audi and Honda.... Or maybe Honda CEO are "neglecting his fiduciary responsabilities" UN-like the Audi CEO...
imho Acura & Audi are perfect bookends == waste of time // effective halo :=
Quote:
Except ... neither will you find a relatable scale of products,
Audi
has been making the R8 for 11 years with no plans to stop...
...if Ford->LINCOLN was a healthier carmaker, the GT...change its fortunes...
& fixed ^

Quote:
...I too don't understand their timeline with Escape/MKC. 2019 is a refresh for MKC, and I'd be surprised if they somehow added a plug in to that. Next gen of both, absolutely, but not sure about the refresh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
...this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
So, the new CUV between EcoSport and Escape will // mean the Escape adds needed size. It will likely compete with HRV and be priced likewise.
I still think there is a market for a Focus Sportwagon, priced in the same range.
makes me think the Escape could do the usual super-sizing WHILE
the MKC could have more success by shrinking slightly to make room for my MACAN-fighter under the MKX.
I like getting F-&-L's *recognized*nameplates* out of "lock-step" ... even if it's a bit of shell-game (like MOST marketing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
Are our electric grids ready for the increased demand due to the electrification of vehicles?
HOW can you even ask that rhetorically, Logan?
OF COURSE our infra-structure in NOT ready ...That'd be UNamer'cun :Harvey:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 08-30-2017 at 02:29 PM.
post #25 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Ford Falcon

Oh, the e-Assists barely move the needle.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #26 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Not exactly first.

What about plug-in-hybrid? Is clear this is the Ford plan....

post #27 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Ford Explorer

So not really a hybrid truck from GM, but yet another electric assist?? Not so sure that is a wise idea.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
post #28 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:21 PM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
The headline here should mention how Ford is going bold and broad into electrification, and wisely careful into BEV.

Going to fast into EV is foolish. Few people want a chord attached to their vehicle, and no automaker wants zero profits. So why go too fast into that.
Tesla has zero profits and yet it's stock is kicking Ford's a** and getting Ford's CEO fired. Amazon proved long ago that profitability does not necessarily dictate a company's shareholder value.

One can debate the merits of Tesla as an automaker but the corporate facts cannot be ignored. Sometimes an automaker needs something called Vision to capture the imaginations of potential shareholders and potential customers.

Dipping your toe into a pool does not make you a swimmer.
post #29 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Dipping your toe into a pool does not make you a swimmer.
And going all in on EV does not make you profitable.
Not by long shot.

Ford is profiting just fine, so I trust their opinion on how quickly to go into EV.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
post #30 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
FIN Staff Member

^.....maybe it's not about 'going all in' on EVs but just getting in the game.

Investors are not going to see Ford as serious about the immediate EV future until Ford offers a 200+ mile EV platform, and actually, start production/commit to a partnership on a battery factory that can support at least 500k units annually. And investors may not care as much about what Ford is doing in China, but what Ford is doing in NA....the current largest market for Ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page