Ford says battery tech still too immature for performance EV - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Ford says battery tech still too immature for performance EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
The power and range is already here for the competition, it just takes 'volume' to bring down the unit price. Which is why the Model 3 starts at $35k today, but at 10k weekly production by 2019 it drops to $28, which should put a dual mode performance model at about $40k. And it is in chasing those rainbows and unicorn that is the power behind all innovation and advancements across industries. No one innovates at a profit.....it is an investment in future profitability. Tesla has just expanded that envelope more than any other automaker dared to do, and a few now trying to catch up, and others like Ford timidly waiting for their safety net, after others have led the way. But this is consistent for Ford, who is more comfortable in the midrange with innovation, not on the leading edge, but trying not to get left too far behind. Unfortunately for Ford, the auto industry is blending with the fast paced technology industry, where you are either one of the leaders or you fade away.

I know, Ford has to play it safe because they mad bad and slow decisions and now don't have the cash to fund the EV push without dropping out of the car market for several years, unable to fund a generation of cars. Everyone knows that story. But it is also necessary to understand that every action moving forward is hinged on that failure. So no, battery tech is not to immature, it's just Ford's version of the battery tech that is still too immature. And Ford has waited too long to move forward with EV technology banking on hybrids instead, trying to hold on to combustion engine profits as long as possible, While making a last ditch effort at more SUVs right as gas prices begin to spike long term globally, sending more consumers toward EVs.

As a combustion engine company, Ford does have a disadvantage compared with a new EV company. Which is why it would have been better if Ford would have launched a separate EV only company, instead all the 'mobility' distractions, ramped up technology, platforms, products, charging infrastructure and production so they are prepared to compete directly with the EV competition globally, while transitioning their ICE business products as the market dictates over time. Because every year that Ford does not have production EVs out on the road in customer hands, driving them, the further Ford gets behind with the technology, market/investor perception and penetration. Dropping out of the EV business for 2 years will hurt, and again give Ford another hill to climb, just like dropping out of the small pick-up market and having to re-enter. But this time they won't have an established model to use to re-enter the market, and just using names from old ICE models won't get them there.

About those 2 years for Ford without a pure EV , those are 2 years without big loses. Let Tesla burn their money. When the EV will be ready to be commercialized with profits, there will be Ford in the business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Ford Explorer

I am still wondering what will happen to the market when it is flooded with BEV options. Specifically price. Will BEV's start sitting on lots with huge discounts because consumers are not adapting nearly fast enough, combined with evolving hybrid benefits. I think that will be the norm. At least in the immediate future. I am actually to the point of not caring what happens to Tesla, and if we could shut the blow hard up (Musk), I might actually be grateful.
falcon lover and glyphics like this.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Focus RS WRC

It might be better if new upcoming BEVs are higher priced luxury models rather than lower priced mainstream models. People with money are more likely to be early adaptors and less likely to be put off by a high price tag.

The infrastructure for battery charging won't be able to keep up with huge numbers of mainstream BEVs at first. A trickle of luxury BEVs allows the charging infrastructure to phase-in more slowly while the affordable BEV tap opens up slowly.

IMO, if Ford's first BEV was a 2019 luxury model (Hello Lincoln), Ford might make a (small) profit while getting real-world performance data and giving investors something to talk about. As battery prices fall, more lower-priced, higher-volume mainstream vehicles will present a more favorable ROI. Waiting for a lower price threshold on batteries before introducing affordable vehicles may give other manufacturers beside T***a head starts. Just speculatin'.

My guess is that the first non-T***a production BEVs will come from high-margin (read luxury) manufacturers like Jaguar, Porsche, BMW & Mercedes-Benz.
wingsnut likes this.

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:45 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
The power and range is already here for the competition, it just takes 'volume' to bring down the unit price. Which is why the Model 3 starts at $35k today, but at 10k weekly production by 2019 it drops to $28, which should put a dual mode performance model at about $40k. And it is in chasing those rainbows and unicorn that is the power behind all innovation and advancements across industries. No one innovates at a profit.....it is an investment in future profitability. Tesla has just expanded that envelope more than any other automaker dared to do, and a few now trying to catch up, and others like Ford timidly waiting for their safety net, after others have led the way. But this is consistent for Ford, who is more comfortable in the midrange with innovation, not on the leading edge, but trying not to get left too far behind. Unfortunately for Ford, the auto industry is blending with the fast paced technology industry, where you are either one of the leaders or you fade away.

I know, Ford has to play it safe because they mad bad and slow decisions and now don't have the cash to fund the EV push without dropping out of the car market for several years, unable to fund a generation of cars. Everyone knows that story. But it is also necessary to understand that every action moving forward is hinged on that failure. So no, battery tech is not to immature, it's just Ford's version of the battery tech that is still too immature. And Ford has waited too long to move forward with EV technology banking on hybrids instead, trying to hold on to combustion engine profits as long as possible, While making a last ditch effort at more SUVs right as gas prices begin to spike long term globally, sending more consumers toward EVs.

As a combustion engine company, Ford does have a disadvantage compared with a new EV company. Which is why it would have been better if Ford would have launched a separate EV only company, instead all the 'mobility' distractions, ramped up technology, platforms, products, charging infrastructure and production so they are prepared to compete directly with the EV competition globally, while transitioning their ICE business products as the market dictates over time. Because every year that Ford does not have production EVs out on the road in customer hands, driving them, the further Ford gets behind with the technology, market/investor perception and penetration. Dropping out of the EV business for 2 years will hurt, and again give Ford another hill to climb, just like dropping out of the small pick-up market and having to re-enter. But this time they won't have an established model to use to re-enter the market, and just using names from old ICE models won't get them there.
Remember that the Ford quote came from a Ford Europe chief with a different perspective to North America.
So in that respect what's being said about battery development required is actually the chenistry required for faster charge but also faster release at an more affordable price. we're now locked int LI Ion because manufacturers want to ride that pony into the ground before making that tech redundant - avoiding the NiMH situation (like Beta Tapes).

All I see is a Ford Europe voicing a regional opinion of what Europe and rest of the world markets require that really secondary to what's going on with the US Tax rebate driven advancement, there will be no such schemes in Europe or elsewhere to encourage buyers into BEVs, so battery tech has to be a lot more mature.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-25-2018 at 06:47 AM.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:05 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
It might be better if new upcoming BEVs are higher priced luxury models rather than lower priced mainstream models. People with money are more likely to be early adaptors and less likely to be put off by a high price tag.

The infrastructure for battery charging won't be able to keep up with huge numbers of mainstream BEVs at first. A trickle of luxury BEVs allows the charging infrastructure to phase-in more slowly while the affordable BEV tap opens up slowly.

IMO, if Ford's first BEV was a 2019 luxury model (Hello Lincoln), Ford might make a (small) profit while getting real-world performance data and giving investors something to talk about. As battery prices fall, more lower-priced, higher-volume mainstream vehicles will present a more favorable ROI. Waiting for a lower price threshold on batteries before introducing affordable vehicles may give other manufacturers beside T***a head starts. Just speculatin'.

My guess is that the first non-T***a production BEVs will come from high-margin (read luxury) manufacturers like Jaguar, Porsche, BMW & Mercedes-Benz.
If Lincoln did offer a 2019 BEV, which means it would be available today or very soon, how should it be priced I wonder?. And just how well would it sell today? Would it outsell their other products? I do feel strongly that BEV's need to be sleek, preferably sedans, but what do I know. I simply base that on a gut feel, not an ounce of real research. I guess we should presume Ford has studied the trends and has planned to land where they feel they need to be in coming years. My point goes back to, how bad is FoMoCo really suffering by not having several BEVS's this year or next. And again, I doubt they would be profitable so soon anyway. I also think that no matter who floods the market first, second or third, consumers just don't give a **** as long as you show up with a compelling product. And again, if your argument is more sales, then I say again, red ink is NOT your friend. Balance, young grasshopper.

Last edited by wingsnut; 06-25-2018 at 04:07 PM.
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I am still wondering what will happen to the market when it is flooded with BEV options. Specifically price. Will BEV's start sitting on lots with huge discounts because consumers are not adapting nearly fast enough, combined with evolving hybrid benefits. I think that will be the norm. At least in the immediate future. I am actually to the point of not caring what happens to Tesla, and if we could shut the blow hard up (Musk), I might actually be grateful.
It will take a very long time before the market is flooded with BEV options like it is currently with ICE options with huge discounts because consumers don't want them. The market is just getting to the point where automakers are beginning to offer BEV options that consumers actually want. Mostly what we have today are compromise first gen BEV options. Leaf(dorky hatchback), Focus Electric (retrofit hatch low range), Bolt ($40k subcompact), i3 (overpriced low range, ugly), etc. But now that we have the Model S on the high end that stills it's ICE competition combined, and Model 3 that's already outselling it's ICE competition with over 400k reservations, then there is the Jaguar i-Pace that is set to do well on the mid-high end. We are just waiting for more Model 3 $30k 200+ mile range competition that looks like it's worth $30k.

There is no question that the BEV is the future of transportation, and that it will very quickly dominate the commuter market once more viable options are available. But right now aside from Model 3, we just have early adopters and compromise models, while ICE automakers slowly and reluctantly transition from ICE to BEV. VW is the only global automaker that actually have/forced to have a plan, and is implementing it today to transition in a big way and challenge Tesla.

And by this time next year Electrify America will have over 500 charging station with over 2,000 chargers across the US, along with over 100 charging stations at Walmart locations across the nation near freeways.

But for those who need the big heavy SUVs to haul stuff and lots of people around, they will stay back on old school ICE with hybrid tech for some time. It's going to take another battery innovation like solid state to get a pack powerful enough to move all that weight and not take up too much space. This is where Ford will live for a while since what they are focused on offering is not easily compatible with going BEV. But what will have that group wanting a BEV is the higher cost of gasoline as it increases, as the volume demand continues to decrease as many more move to BEV.

Think about it...most every city in the country is in the process or is planning to replace their ICE buses with BEVs, which eliminates the fuel of 30 cars per BEV bus. Gas prices have no place to go but up and those ICE/hybrid vehicles will continue to pay the price.
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:33 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
If Lincoln did offer a 2019 BEV, which means it would be available today or very soon, how should it be priced I wonder?. And just how well would it sell today? Would it outsell their other products? I do feel strongly that BEV's need to be sleek, preferably sedans, but what do I know. I simply base that on a gut feel, not an ounce of real research. I guess we should presume Ford has studied the trends and has planned to land where they feel they need to be in coming years. My point goes back to, how bad is FoMoCo really suffering by not having several BEVS's this year or next. And again, I doubt they would be profitable so soon anyway. I also think that no matter who floods the market first, second or third, consumers just don't give a **** as long as you show up with a compelling product. And again, if your argument is more sales, then I say again, red ink is NOT your friend. Balance, young grasshopper.
A Lincoln BEV should be a next gen Continental Electric. Bold, AWD, Powerful, 400+ miles of range, and the ultimate in Quiet Luxury. Inductive charging so no need to plug anything in at home. Early on when Tesla offered to let other automaker s invest in the Supercharger network, Ford should have done so, then the Continental Electric would be able to use the Supercharger network that is currently available.

And there it is.... a missed opportunity.

post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:22 PM
Ford Explorer

The market will be flooded within the next 2-3 years, with nearly 200 BEV's.

This has been stated many times in the media.

And Ford too has a BEV conversion plan, as does pretty much everyone. Just because they are not profitable today with it, does not mean they don't.
jpd80 and Bloggin like this.
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Ford Ka

Those who know me already know that I am not a fan of the BEV, IMO it's a forced technology that is almost certainly never going to be both practical and truly affordable. That said, I'm not surprised that Ford is telling it like it is here, when it comes to hybrids and BEV's Ford has generally been more blunt about shortcomings than most automakers.

I would also forward the idea that this is just one more reason not to burn the Mach-1 moniker on this vehicle.
Logans Run likes this.
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 12:28 AM
Focus RS WRC

I don't know that the U.S. market will be flooded with BEVs in 2-3 years. The charging infrastructure won't support it. Many are announcing that they are going to dive off the high board but most will dip their toes into the water first. Every company has a plan for BEV conversion and their engineers are working hard but until those plans are executed, there is no way to know the results. Reality has a way of modifying plans. Mike Tyson once said, "Everybody's got a plan (to defeat me) until I punch them in the face."

Luxury automakers will have the funding and the overhead to risk introducing BEVs first. They will be high-end and expensive. Even T***a introduced the relatively low-volume Model S, a luxury sedan, as their first product. Battery tech is not so immature that it cannot produce here and now vehicles. I just don't see high volumes of mainstream BEVs appearing on the forecasted timelines and only partly because of the infrastructure deficit. Right now, all we have is hype, projections and announcements.

BTW & IMHO, Amazon and T***a have proved that profits are not the only thing that excites shareholders. A disruptive vision for the future and the prospect of profits in that future can also drive shareholder interest. T***a's only weakness is that it hadn't a clue as to what it took to be a volume auto manufacturer; a condition that it may have the funding and the time to overcome, much like Amazon had. But since the disruptive horse is now out of the barn, every other automaker is in catch-up mode. And that's just the way it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page