January 2011 Chat with Eric Kuehn - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Chief Engineer 2011 F-150

Re: January 2011 Chat with Eric Kuehn

1. Our planning assumed free demand on the engines that allows for the customer to decide on which engine best suits their purpose. And for our ability to match that customer demand.
2. We have setup the F-150 for 2011 to have the EcoBoost available in a majority of the configurations to allow both the leisure as well as work truck buyers to have access to this great engine. With the EcoBoost, more on the premium engine side, we would expect the engine to have more buyers on the higher end of the F-150 lineup.
3. The tailgate step has been very well received and no matter how you look at it there is something to be said about providing a customer feature that aids in them getting in and out of the bed of the truck no matter what the work task. Maybe the fact that our competitors have stopped talking about it has them thinking more about the customer and what they need.
4. We cannot talk about future product plans and we continuosly assess the customer market demands as part of our planning process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeSVT View Post
LOL, thanks.

Questions for Eric,

I am not a truck guy at all . . . more of a Mustang type of person but I am both impressed and intrigued with Ford's constant push to make the F-150 better thus solidifying its position as "US Top Truck". From my non-truck point of view I would like to ask:

1. What mix are you expecting to get, lets say after the first year of offering the new engine line up between the 3.7, the EB, the 5.0 and the 6.2?
2. What is the mix between leisure (or personal) trucks and actual work trucks in the F150 sales and do you expect that the EB would tip the scale towards the leisure trucks?
3. How have the "man-setps" been received so far? I don't see your competitor making fun of them anymore . . . a little birdie told me that they may be showing something of the sort too.
4. Would you consider a Diesel F-150? Is such a thing in the cards for the near term?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Ford Ka

Eric,

Engineering-wise - what was your most interesting challenge on this project? What was your favorite challenge of the project?

Regards,

Tim
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Ford Ka

Thank you for the responses.

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Ford Ka

Eric,

Planning and design wise. How involved were you with the latest F150 raptor? Did you have final say on every detail about it? It is my favorite truck out there in the market and kudos to you guys for building it.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM

1. Optimizing the weight on our vehicles is an ongoing process for further improvement in fuel economy. This included improvement in 2011 and will continue year after year.
2. Glad that you have no doubt on the durability and trust that the torture testing on the EcoBoost was an example of the lengths that we are going to in order to demonstrate to our truck customers the durability and capability of the these new engines. Warranty policies are not looked at on a single vehicle or engine line basis but across all our corporate vehicles and brands. Our warranty policies are reviewed regularly and any changes come out of that process.
3. In our powertrain lineup, it would be our 6.2L that would face off against the 6.2L GM engine. Even with that said we would fully expect there will be those looking to test and compare the EcoBoost against the 6.2L GM engine. Even in absence of the test, just start with looking at the Fuel Economy comparison between the EcoBoost and the 6.2L GM engine and you will see where the EcoBoost really shines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
A few questions, if you don't mind.

1) Everyone complains about the weight of todays vehicles. Is there an ongoing program to reduce the weight of the current F150, and if so, what kind of goals are we looking at??
2) With the new truck and new truck engines, there has been questions, about durability/reliability. Would a higher mileage warrantly of highly doubted technology (not doubted by me), like the EB, be cost effective??

3 (last) There has been alot of complaining, on many of the boards, that Ford did not offer a 6.2L GM to test against the EB and 6.2L Ford. Why was this decision made?? Are there any planned tests to quiet the critics. Or, will they have to wait for pickuptrucks.com to do it??

Thank you in advance,
Gloria (the resident female enthusiast. LOL)
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Most interesting challenge was turning over the entire powertrain lineup for the F-150 in one year delivering on what we called the "And Solution" that included proving hp, torque, capability, And fuel economy.
My favorite challenge was coupling with the new powertrain lineup all of the great new technologies, features, and functionality that our customers have come to expect from the Ford Truck team. With what we've added it makes the vehicle more capable and more productive than in prior models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkadar View Post
Eric,

Engineering-wise - what was your most interesting challenge on this project? What was your favorite challenge of the project?

Regards,

Tim
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Ford Ka

Hello Eric,

On a day to day basis i do haul a lot of construction equipment and such, what is the towing capacity on the 2011 Ford F-150 Eco Boost? How much of a different is the towing capacity from the 3.5 v6 Eco Boost to the 5.0 and 6.2 V8's offered?
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Ford Ka

When will the 36 gallon tank be available for EcoBoost Supercrew?
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Although the base F-150 and the Raptor are developed and planned together, there is a chief engineer whose name is Jamal Hameedi who is responsible for the Raptor. This arrangement maximizes the development, the learning and capability of both vehicles through this process. I share your enthusiasm about the Raptor and agreee that Jamal and his team have delivered the best vehicle in that market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaBear View Post
Eric,

Planning and design wise. How involved were you with the latest F150 raptor? Did you have final say on every detail about it? It is my favorite truck out there in the market and kudos to you guys for building it.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Ford Ka

Hi Eric! I just wanted to thank you for opening up your time for a few hours today! Its great that we get the opportunity to ask you some questions.

What I have is more of a concern.... Im in the market for a new truck and the appeal of the EcoBoost engine is really attractive to me. I do a lot of towing on the weekends from things like PWC's, Boats, Motorcycle trailers that sort of thing. I know the EcoBoost probably gets great gas mileage but what does it do under load? In my mind even though it does make the power and torque numbers, how are they compared to v8's? The Turbos must work pretty hard to make those number and when the turbos spin that equals higher fuel consumption.

Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011, chat, eric, january, kuehn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page