Ford Inside News banner

2008 Mercury Mountaineer

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  falcon lover 
#1 ·
2008 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER DEBUTS TWO INDUSTRY-EXCLUSIVE FEATURES

• Getting Connected. Mercury Sync™ hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system (late availability) joins the suite of high tech offerings on the Mountaineer for 2008.
  • Industry Innovation. Mountaineer comes to market with Ford’s industry-exclusive capless fuel filling system (late availability).
  • New Options. New features for 2008 include 20-inch wheels (late availability) and seven new packages, including: Mountaineer Chrome Package, Navigation and Moon and Tune Elite Package, Comfort Package, among others.
  • New Exterior Colors. Three new exterior colors: White Suede Clearcoat, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic and Stone Green Clearcoat Metallic.

Major Features and Options

Mountaineer: 4.0-liter V-6 with a 5-speed automatic; Capless fuel filling system (late availability); 17-inch aluminum wheels with P245/65R17 all-season tires; Power door locks; Message center with four-line display; Auto-dimming rear-view mirrors; Dual power heated outside mirrors with security and approach lamps; Remote keyless entry; Fog lamps; Headlamps with auto lamp; Premium AM/FM stereo with single CD player and MP3 capability; Auxiliary audio input jack; First-row cloth seats with six-way power driver seat with manual lumbar support; Color-keyed and leather-wrapped steering wheel with speed and redundant audio and climate controls; AdvanceTrac® with RSC®; Intelligent Safety System™; Safety Canopy™ side curtain air bags for the first- and second-row passengers plus rollover protection sensors.

Mountaineer Premier adds: Satin aluminum round exhaust tip; Satin aluminum roof side rails; 18-inch satin aluminum chrome clad wheels with P235/65R18 all-season tires; Color-keyed running boards; First-row heated leather-trimmed sport bucket seats with Preferred Suede inserts; Six-way power passenger seat; Second-row reclining seatbacks and access to the standard third-row seat.

Options include: Mercury Sync™ (late availability); Third-Row Seat Package; Third-Row Seat Elite Package (includes PowerFold™ third row seat and auxiliary air conditioning); Chrome Package; Amenities Package; Moon and Tune Elite Package (includes Power moonroof, SIRIUS® Satellite Radio and Audiophile sound system); Navigation and Moon and Tune Elite Package (includes all previous equipment plus voice-activated navigation); Comfort Package; Heated Package (includes heated seats and windshield); Power-deployable running boards; Power adjustable pedals with memory; Power moonroof; Voice-activated navigation system; Rear-seat DVD entertainment system; Quad bucket seating; Heated front seats; Auxiliary climate control; color keyed running boards and third-row 50/50 split bench seat); Reverse Sensing System; Trailer Tow Package.

For the entire Press Release CLICK HERE

See less See more
#5 ·
It may be a fantastic vehicle, but its by far a relic of the old haphazard Ford.
Ford should kill it, like now. Put it out of its misery, and give the Edge an XL version to replace it.

As Far as I am concerned, this thing and the Pontiac Grand Prix are in the same class.

They represent the thinking that brought detroit to its knees

#6 ·
It may be a fantastic vehicle, but its by far a relic of the old haphazard Ford.
Ford should kill it, like now. Put it out of its misery, and give the Edge an XL version to replace it.

As Far as I am concerned, this thing and the Pontiac Grand Prix are in the same class.

WRONG!!!!
The Explorer is still tops in it's class for a reason, it is and has always been the BEST mid-sized, BOF SUV on the road.

People have a need for BOF SUV's, and no unibodied CUV will ever be able to tow or haul what they can - period. Also, many people prefer their size to the hulking full SUV's. If you want medium towing abilities of over 7k lbs in a roomy 7 passenger vehicle with a V8 that gets over 20 mpg, 6-speed, 4-wheel independent suspension and folding 3rd row, all for well under $30K...then where else are you gonna look?

#7 ·

Actually, they represent the thinking that gave Detroit an unespected renaissance in the 1990s and the thinking that gave Detroit unprecedented profits.

I really don't understand what misery you are talking about when the Explorer and the Mountaineer will sell about 160,000 units this year.

You are right though, that after their current cycle the Explorer and Mountaineer will be built on a unibody architecture, because the public is finally rejecting the body on frame SUV that they adopted with such tremendous passion 15 years ago.

Comparing the Explorer with a Pontiac Grand Prix is historically inaccurate and factually and visually insulting to the Explorer.

#9 ·

I think of this
Vs. This
If you like the 4 Runner better that is your thing. I happen to like the Pathfinder a lot but the fact remains that the Explorer outsells them both handsomely.

I am confused though. First you said that Ford should stop making the Explorer because is a relic of the past with some reference that BoF SUVs are a relic of the past but then you seem to imply that they should make something like the the 4Runner? I don't really follow you. . .

#11 ·
If you like the 4 Runner better that is your thing. I happen to like the Pathfinder a lot but the fact remains that the Explorer outsells them both handsomely.

I am confused though. First you said that Ford should stop making the Explorer because is a relic of the past with some reference that BoF SUVs are a relic of the past but then you seem to imply that they should make something like the the 4Runner? I don't really follow you. . .
Relic, not becouse its not new, but becouse it was built using the old Ford design philosophies and way of doing things. The 4 Runner looks good, and sells very well, around the globe. I do not think a freeway suspension set up is what makes an SUV.
Selling in America is not everything.

That tired old solid-axled Toyota, that has less power and FE than the Explorer, looks like it was styled by Pontiac in the 90's.

Does the phrase wretched-excess mean anything to you. Look at the relatively clean style of the Explorer and then look at the gawdy, tack-on plastic bolstering of the Toyota. Or, just look at sales. Toyota is in last place.
That 4 Runner is not tired, neither is a solid Axle 'bad'
Why does Land Rover use solid Axles front and back on the Defender? Why does Toyota and Hummer use them? This is a 4WD we are talking about, not a Mommy fire sale grocery getter.
The only reason Ford outsells Toyota on this truck is becouse, they practically give em away. Pick your weekend paper and see your local ford 'deals'

#12 ·
Relic, not becouse its not new, but becouse it was built using the old Ford design philosophies and way of doing things. The 4 Runner looks good, and sells very well, around the globe. I do not think a freeway suspension set up is what makes an SUV.

That 4 Runner is not tired, neither is a solid Axle 'bad'
Why does Land Rover use solid Axles front and back on the Defender? Why does Toyota and Hummer use them? This is a 4WD we are talking about, not a Mommy fire sale grocery getter.
The only reason Ford outsells Toyota on this truck is because, they practically give em away. Pick your weekend paper and see your local ford 'deals'

Mbukukanyau,
you are all over the proverbial map with your reasoning.
My over-zealous remark was in response to your remarks that the Explorer is
"over" a "relic of haphazard Ford" and should not exist anymore, and then you compare it to the Toyota which has had it's engine and transmission and solid axle for much longer than the Explorer - while proclaiming it's superiority offroad with it's old technology. You totally missed the point here.

And I am well aware of some off-roaders having solid axles, H1 aside, but I don't see too many Toyota SUV's on trails, soo....

#13 ·
If you are just using whatever reasoning comes at hand just to win an argument that is fine, but at least be honest about it. What are these Ford old design philosophies? If anything the current Explorer was designed in the days were the most important thing for Ford were BOD SUVs, the days when Ford neglected car development and was centered only in designing good SUVs.

The 4Runner looks good and sells very well? The 4Runner looks good to you and sells very well if very well is a fraction of what the Explorer still sells is very good, and for some some cars it may be. Now the only reason why the Explorer is in trouble is because it doesn't sell as good as it used to. If you think that making a vehicle that is a total off roader and goes like crap on the road is going to sell the volume that the Explorer still sells, then you are sorely mistaken.

I wonder what is your opinion of the Hummer H2?

That 4 Runner is not tired, neither is a solid Axle 'bad' Why does Land Rover use solid Axles front and back on the Defender? Why does Toyota and Hummer use them? This is a 4WD we are talking about, not a Mommy fire sale grocery getter.
The only reason Ford outsells Toyota on this truck is becouse, they practically give em away. Pick your weekend paper and see your local ford 'deals'
The Defender is not a volume seller is a niche vehicle that can afford such idiosyncrasies.

BTW the incentives on the Explorer are not higher than those on the GMT900s. Just to put things in perspectives since you decided to throw crap to the best mid size BOD SUV available today.

#14 ·

What????????????? you are crazy, man !. The Explorer-Mountaineer are the best vehicles in this category. The CUV are in vogue, but this king of SUV is still important for Ford and for others global manufacturers.

Long live to the Explorer!

#16 ·

I agree with you...this is a Toyota 4 Runner or a Pontiac 4 Runner.....??? hahahahahahha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.