Ford/Lincoln product forecast UPDATED - Page 15 - Ford Inside News Community
 556Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 592 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Ford Falcon

re: Ford/Lincoln product forecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Yea that is an odd list. You are correct too the T-Bird rode on a modified version of DEW98 which was shorter and stiffened to be a convertible. IIRC the Mark IX concept was also on that platform and the Continental concept was on a stretched version of DEW98. I also think the NaviCross was on it as well. They had plans for that platform which never came to fruition sadly.
Makes you wonder what Lincoln would look like today had they gone forward with some or all of those products.
glyphics likes this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 592 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 12:09 AM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Makes you wonder what Lincoln would look like today had they gone forward with some or all of those products.
By 2019 the New Lincoln lineup will look pretty good...

MKA- Sedan
MKM - Coupe
MKZ - Sedan
Continental - Sedan

MKC - CUV
MKX - SUV
Aviator - SUV
Navigator - SUV
post #143 of 592 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:07 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
By 2019 the New Lincoln lineup will look pretty good...

MKA- Sedan
MKM - Coupe
MKZ - Sedan
Continental - Sedan

MKC - CUV
MKX - SUV
Aviator - SUV
Navigator - SUV
Wow, excellent! I love that Lincoln isn't abandoning the traditional car market, but also beefing up their CUV and SUV offerings. They'll have a great, well-rounded lineup when all of this is in place, and can always add a market-topping sedan at the high end after that.
Bloggin likes this.

Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #144 of 592 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:34 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by patan View Post
says nothing about the Ford E.

where they get the information that there will be two new lincoln ? pure speculation ? is serious that report ?
there have been recent articles forecasting low oil/gas prices to continue ...at least one thought: Indefinitely
so
wonder if FoMoCo will go ahead engineering new architecture to support electrification BUT not actually build many more e-models beyond what they have now until fuel prices go up?

&

I wonder if FLincMoCo truly meant the 3-series(& friends) when they announced Lincoln would target "The Highest Volume Luxury Segment" (2012)?

seems Cuvs are heading there - not sure I see a differentiator for anything Focus/GrandCMax-based, THO
a Cuv-ish sportbrake off the Mustang might really be 'whitespace'.

&

pre-posting a size group for maybe-more speculation tomorrow
_ovl____wlb____w____ht________
189.9 - 115.0 - 72.0 - 59.4 - BMW 328GT
188.3 - 107.1 - 75.4 - 54.4 - Mustang S550
183.9 - 111.6 - 72.8 - 55.7 - Jaguar XE
178.5 - 104.3 - 71.8 - 57.7 - Focus sedan
177.9 - 109.8 - 71.9 - 66.3 - Grand C-Max
177.? - 108.? - 77.? - 53.? - Ford EVOS Concept
177.? - 105.7 - 70.8 - 56.3 - Chevrolet VOLT
176.4 - 106.3 - 68.7 - 58.7 - PRIUS reg5-door
173.6 - 104.3 - 72.0 - 63.9 - C-Max
171.7 - 104.3 - 71.8 - 58.4 - Focus hatch

Bloggin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #145 of 592 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

MK A and MK M... really? If thises rumors are true, the MKA sedan will be based on the Focus platform, not the Mustang RWD . The next Mustang is planned for 2020, so, a new Lincoln model based on that platform is ridiculous and imposible. The coupe? I thing is not true. In case Lincoln is planning a coupe, this will be a FWD coupe to compete with the Audi A5. Maybe a MKZ coupe?

Whatever... i think the timeline for Lincoln is this:

2018 Navigator
2019 Aviator and possible a new MKZ
2020 MKC refresh
2021 MKX refresh and Continental refresh
2b2 and SP1966 like this.

post #146 of 592 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Although I've been one of the people screaming for something below the MKZ in size, I don't think it's going to happen with the current CUV craze going on. If there was going to be a Lincoln coupe I don't see that for some time either, Mustang based or otherwise. Any further expansion by Lincoln would likely be in the form of a CUV below the MKC and the upcoming Aviator. I think Falcon Lover is right on with the timeline for the Navigator and Aviator, but I would venture to think the MKC and MKX will be refreshed before 2020 and 2021. I think the MKC will be refreshed for the 2018 MY and the MKX will be 2019 or 2020 at the latest, need to get the new face of Lincoln on.
falcon lover and 2b2 like this.
post #147 of 592 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 12:44 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
there have been recent articles forecasting low oil/gas prices to continue ...at least one thought: Indefinitely
so
wonder if FoMoCo will go ahead engineering new architecture to support electrification BUT not actually build many more e-models beyond what they have now until fuel prices go up?

&

I wonder if FLincMoCo truly meant the 3-series(& friends) when they announced Lincoln would target "The Highest Volume Luxury Segment" (2012)?

seems Cuvs are heading there - not sure I see a differentiator for anything Focus/GrandCMax-based, THO
a Cuv-ish sportbrake off the Mustang might really be 'whitespace'.

I think Ford is looking deeper into the future and at consumer behavior patterns. Consumers tend to take action based on fear, and eventually swing back to a norm. What's pushing the big exaggerated upswing in CUV/SUV sales is the drop of gas prices, after the big increase in gas prices that scared consumers.

Gas prices spike to $5/gal = consumers ran to hybrids/electrification/dump CUV/SUVs

Gas prices drop to less than $4/gal = consumers overcorrected and created an exaggerated the demand for CUV/SUVs

But with gas prices expected to remain at this level for a long time to come, with oil companies understanding that another price hike, propels consumes into more electrified vehicles and off gas forever, the the industry is trying not to scare the 'cattle' again. Which means, as with all consumer trends, consumers will get swing back from CUVs/SUVs once they forget about $5+/gal gas prices(and consumers have a very shot memory), and back into more fun to drive, sporty sedans, and coupes...because that's what they want.

Which is why I see that Ford is preparing for this. Getting their passenger cars, sedans, coupes ready for the swing back to the norm, while at the same time, building on their ability to capitalize on CUV/SUV craze happening now, that won't last too much longer.
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by Bloggin; 05-12-2016 at 12:47 PM.
post #148 of 592 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:20 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
MK A and MK M... really? If thises rumors are true, the MKA sedan will be based on the Focus platform, not the Mustang RWD . The next Mustang is planned for 2020, so, a new Lincoln model based on that platform is ridiculous and imposible. The coupe? I thing is not true. In case Lincoln is planning a coupe, this will be a FWD coupe to compete with the Audi A5. Maybe a MKZ coupe?
I would think that with Lincoln being very clear about targeting the Highest Volume Luxury Segments, going with a entry level sub-luxury model with low volume does not make sense for the near future.

While at the same time a next gen Lexus IS and new 3-Series is coming in the largest luxury segment globally. If Lincoln expects to reach their 300k units globally by 2020, that is the segment to compete in.

I am focusing on the current S550 platform because at it's current state, offers some of the best driving dynamics, and on par with BMW and Porsche. Which would indicate that a new platform won't offer much of a benefit for a Lincoln sedan or coupe. Along with the fact that Lincoln has already publicly stated they wanted to use that platform on the Lincoln side of the business.

Another justification for using the S550 platform for a new Lincoln sedan and coupe is bringing excitement and the attention of the sub 40 year old consumer into the Lincoln dealership. Today there is really nothing there. MKZ is still 40+ and for 2017 it's trying to look younger. But Lincoln is recognizing that quiet luxury works more with the 40+ crowd, and the concept of not making cars for everyone, only works when you don't have the products for the younger consumer.

I expect with the marketing for the 400hp/400 torque 2017 MKZ, Lincoln will begin to 'broaden' their Quiet Luxury, Effortless Power tag line, with a focus on the Driver's Package, and the driver, along with performance, driving dynamics, etc. With the launch of the new sedan and coupe, that focus on luxury and performance would fit the Lincoln brand very well.

I would think the focus platform as an entry luxury car, is what the Germans had to do to compete with Ford Titanium trim level c-segment or entry level Mustang. I don't think it would help Lincoln to downgrade to c-segment, before establishing itself with c/d luxury performance.

Just think, a luxury coupe with the proven world class S550 platform, wrapped in a sexy, aggressive Lincoln body, loaded with luxury amenities. With a sedan to match.

You may notice that MB and BMW see the Mustang as a huge threat. It's dominating the performance coupe and convertible segment in Europe. MB new C-Class Cabriolet is their attempt to fight back with more luxury and status.

Which is why a Lincoln coupe and convertible has to step up, and ride on the success of the Mustang.

Can't wait to see how this all works out over the next couple years....

2b2 likes this.
post #149 of 592 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:09 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
Although I've been one of the people screaming for something below the MKZ in size, I don't think it's going to happen with the current CUV craze going on. If there was going to be a Lincoln coupe I don't see that for some time either, Mustang based or otherwise. Any further expansion by Lincoln would likely be in the form of a CUV below the MKC and the upcoming Aviator. I think Falcon Lover is right on with the timeline for the Navigator and Aviator, but I would venture to think the MKC and MKX will be refreshed before 2020 and 2021. I think the MKC will be refreshed for the 2018 MY and the MKX will be 2019 or 2020 at the latest, need to get the new face of Lincoln on.
- dunno whether to believe this or not - esp the MucK nomenclature
- maybe FLincMoCo is trying to make up for lost time (due to Mr.M)
- still prefer my idea of combining an MKE with the STARstang; imho that provides a "double-specialness" BUT
don't see that as possible until S650

Quote:
...Which is why I see that Ford is preparing for this. Getting their passenger cars, sedans, coupes ready for the swing back to the norm, while at the same time, building on their ability to capitalize on CUV/SUV craze happening now, that won't last too much longer.
I don't see ALL people forgetting the swings, +so
future 'cars' could go thru a phase of working-back from Cuv to car, like the Ifnit Q/QX pairing and what I posted about A New Small Cadillac == sportbrake
chop swiped from myself @ GMI June2012

edit: I tracked down an original photo still at CarScoops
http://www.carscoops.com/2012/07/wha...illac-ats.html

Quote:
...I am focusing on the current S550 platform because...
...Another justification for using the S550 platform...
my main problem with the current Stang is that I've heard over&over that it cannot be stretched
&
imho a smaller than Z Lincoln will still Have To offer interior room like the 110.7" wlb of the 3/4er

edit:
& I still want(demand) The New Face of Lincoln on ALL models asap after the Navi comes out
badhac likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 05-12-2016 at 03:15 PM.
post #150 of 592 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:41 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
my main problem with the current Stang is that I've heard over&over that it cannot be stretched
&
imho a smaller than Z Lincoln will still Have To offer interior room like the 110.7" wlb of the 3/4er

edit:
& I still want(demand) The New Face of Lincoln on ALL models asap after the Navi comes out
Yeah, and I heard over and over again that the Ranger is not coming to the US, the New Taurus is not coming to the US. All while the business case was building for the opposite. But I think it's all about listening to what Ford/Lincoln actually tells us. Lincoln did already state that they wanted to use the S550 platform on the Lincoln side.

Ford/Lincoln has been very consistent with following through with what they say they are going to do. It's in listing to 'how' it's said that's important. 'Currently' and 'no plans', only mean as of 'today' that they are willing to share. Then look at what Ford/Lincoln does and if there is a business case....it's a go.

Which is why I think there is a very strong possibility that the two new Lincoln sedan and coupe will be based on a version of the current S550 platform. And saying the S550 platform cannot be stretched a few inches, is like saying metal can only be formed in just one size. ANY platform can be stretched or reduced by inches. The S550 platform did not come from another planet as one unit....it's pieces of metal wielded together to make the platform.

Another benefit is that a modified(stretched/light weighting) version of the S550 platform could become a dedicated Lincoln platform. Now Lincoln would have a global platform for a sedan, coupe and convertible that is already on par with BMW and Porsche.

Which makes me think that Ford's big push to reduce Ford brand product platforms was so that Lincoln could have their own.
2b2 and glyphics like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page