A bit of Mustang philosophizing, here: - Ford Inside News Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via MSN to ZanatWork
A bit of Mustang philosophizing, here:

OK, so we're all (excepting the board's case of VD) agreeably happy that our beloved and original pony car is the numero uno sports coupe here and abroad, leading to greater brand/model recognition for an already legendary vehicle.

I have to believe that this changes some things regarding the Mustang's status within FoMoCo.

I was in my late teens when the movement to make the Mustang go FWD hit the news, and I admittedly gnashed my teeth at Ford's willingness to let their best-known performance car languish on (albeit evolved) Carter-era bones for so many years. 25 years on Fairmont bits? Granted, the Fairmont was pretty decent when new...but then again, 200 horsepower was big news in 1979.

So, the point: with all the new recognition, does this mean that RWD will actually get some wider-spread prioritizing with Ford?

The Mustang should be stating its case to remain in its basic layout, and other Ford market niches from everywhere from Australia to Lincoln have long had yearnings/appreciation for RWD products. While I know full well that it cannot become the dominant layout for Ford's cars-fwd packages much better, and has traction advantages in adverse weather-could the Mustang's momentum lead to a dedicated architecture for multiple models?

I've seen the rumors that the new D6 platform will have modular capability in terms of drive wheels, but I have concerns that it could be too compromised if used too widely.

In any case, that was on the front of my brain, and I thought I'd share.
2b2, glyphics, Bloggin and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: A bit of Mustang philosophizing, here:

I think the pretty obvious answer is yes, RWD is making a comeback of sorts in Dearborn.

1. Regarding D6, if it's truly known as such inside Ford is obviously for large vehicles, thus performance is of a much lesser priority. Yes, better balance will always be welcomed at any market level, and could pay significant dividends for Lincoln, but it needn't be front and center.

2. The fact that S550 will be replaced by S650 more than a year earlier than planned if 100% in response to Lincoln, not Mustang. The Mustang is outselling its competition by a good margin, there is no reason to to knock a year off S550's ROI when you're exceeding expectations. Thus my theory that the shortcomings of S550 that caused Lincoln to pass are being resolved with the evolution to S650 and they are going to launch when ready, thus we get a new Mustang in the deal early. Thank you Lincoln!

RWD is not going to suddenly become Ford's focus, but it will finally have a seat at the table in those markets in which it makes sense, and cents!
2b2, glyphics and Bloggin like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:38 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ @ZanatWork
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
"Company insiders cited by Motor Mag said a while ago the mega-hatch will get carbon fiber reinforced plastic bodywork, carbon fiber brakes, and forged aluminum suspension parts to shave off weight. For the same purpose, Ford apparently plans to remove some of the sound insulation for what will be a stripped-out cabin."

This could be the first fruit of Ford's advancement with mass production of carbon fibre body parts Trickling down what they have learned from the GT. Which could mean a version of the 2017 Mustang could get light-weighted and a speed boost. I would think Ford is highly aware of the 200+ lb weight advantage the Camaro has with it's new platform. But with the current platform, Ford could use carbon fiber to level the weight playing field and expanding the Mustang's performance lead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
jumping 'ahead' to composites with Mustang makes a LOT of sense to me
plus
imho electrification will be an equally powerful design consideration
Bloggin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:56 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
1. Regarding D6, if it's truly known as such inside Ford is obviously for large vehicles, thus performance is of a much lesser priority. Yes, better balance will always be welcomed at any market level, and could pay significant dividends for Lincoln, but it needn't be front and center...
just my usual reminder about CAFE leading to longer wheelbases for ALL segments to bend/play/defeat the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
2. The fact that S550 will be replaced by S650 more than a year earlier than planned if 100% in response to Lincoln, not Mustang. The Mustang is outselling its competition by a good margin, there is no reason to to knock a year off S550's ROI when you're exceeding expectations. Thus my theory that the shortcomings of S550 that caused Lincoln to pass are being resolved with the evolution to S650 and they are going to launch when ready, thus we get a new Mustang in the deal early. Thank you Lincoln!...
basically agree
just that I also feel that timing has to do with Mr. Mulally leaving before any Lincoln plans could begin to really move.
THEN it was a matter of compromising the Mustang's previously planned date with Lincoln's immediate (imho) needs.
So imho either
- S650 will be a partial step on the way to cD6-ism (no platforms anymore)
or
- could be a bigger step than Mustang was going to get without STARstang ( THO LeMans+etc might have bearing ...wondering what price a ~2030 Mustang is being designed towards -&- if it could become or become-PAIRed-with something in the Corvettes' (current) price ranges??)
ZanatWork, glyphics and Bloggin like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

RWD is a value for some market niches: luxury sedans and coupes, european sport sedans, Australia, sport cars. So, is not a crazy idea that the upcoming new Mustang platform can be used for those niches. A new Mustang coupe and convertible, a new midsize sport sedan for Europe and Australia (China?), a new luxury midsize sedan and coupe for Lincoln.

And, i insist, the Mustang may be the origin for a new Mustang sub-brand, with the current coupe and convertible, plus a sedan, a shooting-brake (for Europe) and a 4-door coupe. Even some kind of crossover can be made based on the Mustang.
glyphics likes this.

Last edited by falcon lover; 06-23-2016 at 08:22 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Focus RS WRC

So glad RWD is making a comeback of sorts..... Will be interesting to see how & if more options develop in the coming years.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"It was like a lighted match had been tossed into my soul" __ Trisha Yearwood __ 'The Song Remembers When'
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:17 AM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
RWD is a value for some market niches: luxury sedans and coupes, european sport sedans, Australia, sport cars. So, is not a crazy idea that the upcoming new Mustang platform can be used for those niches. A new Mustang coupe and convertible, a new midsize sport sedan for Europe and Australia (China?), a new luxury midsize sedan and coupe for Lincoln.
That's what I always thought. Also, I think that Ford needs to offer a mid-engine sports car above Mustang, but well below GT. Right at $50k - $84k+ where Corvette, Boxster/Cayman lives. Mustang can't reach that far because it has to remain 'affordable'. This sports car could be more connected with GT than Mustang, via mid-engine design along with external design elements. Mustang has it's own design language and front engine design that is core to Mustang.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 05:35 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
That's what I always thought. Also, I think that Ford needs to offer a mid-engine sports car above Mustang, but well below GT. Right at $50k - $84k+ where Corvette, Boxster/Cayman lives. Mustang can't reach that far because it has to remain 'affordable'. This sports car could be more connected with GT than Mustang, via mid-engine design along with external design elements. Mustang has it's own design language and front engine design that is core to Mustang.

If the Mustang shrank slightly (size of a '67) and used more high-strength lightweight steel and aluminum and weighed 200+lbs less. That thing could be a lower-priced 2+2 alternative to a Corvette.
2b2 and Bloggin like this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 02:54 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ check the dimensions for the 3er/4er that I've posted ALL over FiN
considerably longer wlb and considerably shorter ovL than the S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin
...Right at $50k - $84k+ where Corvette, Boxster/Cayman lives...
(not awake) ...afaik Stingray start$ a bit over $60k & there's posts somewhere about a nextgen that might be separate from "ordinary" Corvettes being mid-engined
just-imho
an "ordinary" STARstang oughta go from $50k-to-near-$90k
&
what do top Shelbys go for?
&
a carbonfibre midengine Lincoln (a chop IS in the Mission for quite some time!), should start maybe $99,999.99
?
-imho
Bloggin likes this.

Last edited by 2b2; 06-26-2016 at 02:58 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 04:55 PM
FIN Staff Member

^.....Corvette starts at $55.400 and the Shelby GT350R starts at $63k. I would think a new 'lower volume than Mustang' mid-engine sports car should start at about $65k. While at the same time a next gen Focus coupe and convertible.

I really think fun to drive coupes and convertibles are on the rise. The economy is better and gas is cheap, so people are looking to buy and drive what they want, not what the think they are limited to or have to drive. The Miata is a good barometer of that with sales up 103% for the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page