South Florida International Auto Show - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

South Florida International Auto Show

I went to the South Florida (Miami) International Auto Show this past evening, and really enjoyed it.

Ford
Ford had plenty of new stuff there, including the new F-150 and Flex. I got to see the updated Focus Coupe's front end, and it looks a lot better than the old front end. The F-150 was on the floor and I was able to finally sit in it. It was "only" a King Ranch (I was hoping a Platinum would've been there.... ). I was really impressed by the interior, along with the additional room. Looked like Ford did a great job with this one. I liked the new flat rear floor (below the rear seats) along with the ease of one hand lifting (of the seats) to access that area. Much better than the current setup.

They also had the Explorer America concept there, which looked pretty good. I still am not a big fan of the front end, though.

The new Edge (09) has newly styled air vents in the front. Basically the slats are vertical, rather than horizontal as they are now. They looked good though.

I got to see the Transit Connect. I think it could sell pretty well to contractors, etc. I didn't really look at it in detail though.

Lincoln
Moving to Lincoln, the usual suspects were there....MKZ, MKS, MKX, and Navigator. One family, when talking about the MKS, commented on how reasonably priced it was even with all the stuff it has standard. To my surprise, the MKT concept was there. I was really happy to see it there. My view on that vehicle still stands....LOVE the front end and side design, but don't like the rear. I don't mind the actual design of the rear as much as how steep the slope of the rear window is, which is being changed for production anyways.

Toyota/Lexus
Moving outside of the Ford realm, I completely skipped the Toyota area, like a true Ford person (I just really hate Toyotas anyways). Really the only reason I would go there would be to make fun of the Toyota products and how ugly they are.

Nothing new at Lexus outside of the IS-F, which I've already seen on the road. I don't mind it, except for it's hideous quad-stacked exhaust pipes. Outside of that it was usual Lexus-ville.

GM
Anyways.....GM had some decent stuff there.

Chevy
Chevy had a production Camaro (RS) there. Looked the same as the concept on the outside and inside (unfortunately for inside). I absolutely hate where they put the reverse lights though. And most will agree the interior is ugly, although they had it on a stand with the doors closed so nobody could see how horrendous it looks. I took a look at the Traverse and left unimpressed by both the exterior and interior.

Cadillac
Caddy had the CTS Sport Wagon there. I don't like the rear's design. Too many odd angles and points for my liking.

Pontiac
Pontiac had the usual vehicles there, except they had a Solstice Targa(?) (the coupe) there. It looked pretty good, but as Ford-150 and I were discussing elsewhere, I wonder if it's still a-go? Also, to my surprise there was a G8 ST there (the ute). It looked good, although I question the market (or at least how large of a market) there is for this type of vehicle.

Dodge
Dodge had a Challenger there to sit in. I like the exterior design; the interior, while not "ugly," is uninspiring to say the least.

They had a couple of new Rams there. It looked decent. The interior was ok too. I've decided for sure that Dodge makes things big just to make them big. Take, for example, the center console.....the lid is HUGE! But when you open it, the actual storage area is tiny compared to the lid. Same "HUGE" theme applies to the gear shifter, which includes the stupid "staggered" pattern many Japanese vehicles have. I really see the Ram as catering more towards it's current buyers and not necessarily taking sales from GM or Ford. It may take back some Tundra defectors though.

Mercedes-Benz
Mercedes had their new GLK there. I don't mind, if not like the exterior, but the interior left something to be desired, in fact it was border-line ugly to me.

Hyundai
A Genesis or two were present, but there was too many people for me to wait, so I can't give my opinion on that, unfortunately. The Genesis Coupe was there as well. I liked it, except for the odd rear window indentation, which I've complained about ever since it's release.

Nissan
Nissan had a GT-R on display. They look great, IMO! I've already seen 2 on the road (one on the way to the show, ironically) and love them every time I see them.

Acura
Got to see the new hideous TL. It look absolutely horrible. I don't know how a vehicle that was so beautiful could be destroyed like that. Also of note, nobody was around it either....I guess they all agree it's ugly.

"Million Dollar Alley"
Bugatti
Bugatti had a Veyron there, which I was impressed by.

Rolls-Royce
A Phantom Drophead Coupe was there, which looked great (I'm fond of Rolls).

The other high-end brands were there, but with nothing "interesting."

Other 'regular' manufacturers
Anybody that wasn't listed here either didn't have anything new or I'm just forgetting them right now.

I'll also attach the 5 pics I took---I'd say they turned out pretty good, considering they're from my iPhone.

**If anybody has any questions about anything such as specific vehicles, I'll be more than happy to answer/comment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gtr1.jpg (127.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg gtr2.jpg (122.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mkt1.jpg (128.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg mkt2.jpg (115.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg veyron.jpg (138.8 KB, 2 views)

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 03:44 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: South Florida International Auto Show

thanks for posting this, Rmc!

It's great to hear Ford made an effort with showing a LOT of its best at Miami -for FMC too

I still *LOVE* the MKT
sooo glad you took pix - Nice Ones too!
definitely haven't had my fill of them yet
(for me, the T stands for Treasure!)

interesting you mention work applications for the TransitConnect
imho that^ (& do-it-yourself hippie/young-buyers) is how I see the Ford version too
& a premium Merc version would be perfect for more established/accomplished-yet-alternative types.

Last year I had to "force myself" to swing by Luxif & that T-brand too - just to "know the enemy"
Think I might skip Acura this year - why bother? - it's too sad...
Rolls... anything resembling the 101EX is worth taking in imho!

Haven't seen the inside of the Camaro in person yet - the pix DO impress me
& I'm looking forward to the CTS coupe &or wagon almost as if they were Mercs

oh!/question:
did Buick have the Invicta/LaCrosse there?
too bad they (undoubtedly?) wouldn't have the Insignia/Regal

ps I stuck a link to this thread in the AutoshowDates thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
thanks for posting this, Rmc!

It's great to hear Ford made an effort with showing a LOT of its best at Miami -for FMC too

I still *LOVE* the MKT
sooo glad you took pix - Nice Ones too!
definitely haven't had my fill of them yet
(for me, the T stands for Treasure!)

interesting you mention work applications for the TransitConnect
imho that^ (& do-it-yourself hippie/young-buyers) is how I see the Ford version too
& a premium Merc version would be perfect for more established/accomplished-yet-alternative types.

Last year I had to "force myself" to swing by Luxif & that T-brand too - just to "know the enemy"
Think I might skip Acura this year - why bother? - it's too sad...
Rolls... anything resembling the 101EX is worth taking in imho!

Haven't seen the inside of the Camaro in person yet - the pix DO impress me
& I'm looking forward to the CTS coupe &or wagon almost as if they were Mercs

oh!/question:
did Buick have the Invicta/LaCrosse there?
too bad they (undoubtedly?) wouldn't have the Insignia/Regal

ps I stuck a link to this thread in the AutoshowDates thread
I mentioned the work apps for the TC b/c they had it set up that way, complete w/ some tools in it.

The exterior of the Camaro looks decent, but the interior is horrible. I don't think it will age well, though....maybe it's just cuz we've seen it for years already now though...

Buick....didn't see anything new, but would've liked to seen one of those concepts at least.

Miami is more of a 'recycled' show--basically getting the concepts and models from last years major auto shows. The closest thing to a major debut was the new Mariner either last year or the year before (whenever it was first released).

Current Vehicles:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
...Buick....didn't see anything new, but would've liked to seen one of those concepts at least.

Miami is more of a 'recycled' show--basically getting the concepts and models from last years major auto shows. The closest thing to a major debut was the new Mariner either last year or the year before (whenever it was first released).
yeah, I just read today that the Invicta/LaCrosse & CTS variants won't even be at LAIAS
also, since LA is consider first rung (I guess) Ford rarely brings anything that debuted at the previous NAIAS - may never get to see the ExplorerAmerican re-
& wonder about the MKT ::waaah::

edit
yeah, the Milan-VOGA was last year, the Mariner was the year before iirc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
yeah, I just read today that the Invicta/LaCrosse & CTS variants won't even be at LAIAS
also, since LA is consider first rung (I guess) Ford rarely brings anything that debuted at the previous NAIAS - may never get to see the ExplorerAmerican re-
& wonder about the MKT ::waaah::

edit
yeah, the Milan-VOGA was last year, the Mariner was the year before iirc
Well, whenever the newest Mariner debuted, it was here at the SFIAS.

I should've taken pics of the Explorer America....sorry.

Current Vehicles:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ oh that's ok
guess since I spent quite a bit of time chopping the Explorer America & using its grille in other chops, I don't have the same 'need' for it as for the MKT
tho I'll be excessively interested as to how they'll develop the E-A for production
(& of course wouldn't mind At All seeing it in person...)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks for posting those good pix RMC. I really love the design of the MKT I think it looks terrific except for the rear it kinda makes it look like big station wagon but anyway it's still great looking.

I was kinda hoping that when the South Florida Show rolled around that Mercury would display a customized Sable like they did with the Milan and Mariner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
auto, florida, international, south

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page