The American Gas Guzzler Myth - Ford Inside News Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Content Admin
 
mchicha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 950
The American Gas Guzzler Myth

Quote:
domestic automakers are in a heap of trouble right now. Truth is, almost every car maker--domestic or import brand--is having a lousy year.

Mainstream media covering the financial woes of the auto industry seem fond of noting that domestic makers produce “gas guzzlers”. It’s generally understood that the hapless American car builders couldn’t build an efficient car if their lives depended on it, which they seemingly do.

It’s certainly true that domestic makers produce more vehicles in categories not known for fuel efficiency, but are these vehicles really guzzlers?
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...zzler-myth.htm


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mchicha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,017
Re: The American Gas Guzzler Myth

I think Toyota/Lexus builds the most gas guzzlers in a lineup.

Toyota makes...
Tundra
Sequoia
Land Cruiser
FJ Cruiser
4Runner
Tacoma

Lexus makes...
LS 460
LX 570
GX 470

The truth is in my opinion American Automakers do not build anymore gas guzzlers than anyone else.
MERCURYSABLE08 is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Content Admin
 
mchicha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 950
Re: The American Gas Guzzler Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCURYSABLE08 View Post
I think Toyota/Lexus builds the most gas guzzlers in a lineup.

Toyota makes...
Tundra
Sequoia
Land Cruiser
FJ Cruiser
4Runner
Tacoma

Lexus makes...
LS 460
LX 570
GX 470

The truth is in my opinion American Automakers do not build anymore gas guzzlers than anyone else.
Amazing, especially when you look at the list and realize there is not a single category where Japan is most efficient.
A malibu LTZ getting same 33 Mpg as civic and beating the sentra by a good margin!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mchicha is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 22
Re: The American Gas Guzzler Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
Amazing, especially when you look at the list and realize there is not a single category where Japan is most efficient.
A malibu LTZ getting same 33 Mpg as civic and beating the sentra by a good margin!!
Uh, did you forget about the Toyota Prius? And right now, I'd say that Nissan Altima Hybrid is the leader in the midsize segment (I do not consider the Prius a midsize car, although I know that the EPA says otherwise), although the Fusion is about to change that.
nelsonlu is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Ford Falcon Ute
 
SobeSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sobe, FL
Posts: 4,679
Send a message via AIM to SobeSVT
Re: The American Gas Guzzler Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonlu View Post
Uh, did you forget about the Toyota Prius? And right now, I'd say that Nissan Altima Hybrid is the leader in the midsize segment (I do not consider the Prius a midsize car, although I know that the EPA says otherwise), although the Fusion is about to change that.
I like Nelsonlu's approach. You all know I am all against BS ourselves and we do a lot of THAT here.

In this case however, the fact that the Prius exists or that the Nissan Altima hybrid rules (momentarily) doesn't negate the fact that Detroit is suffering unfairly from the burdens of this media fed gas guzzlers reputation, when big foreign car companies like Nissan, and Toyota also make thirsty behemoths w/o suffering the consequences from a PR point of view.

Companies like Honda, Suzuki or VW are the ones that may deserve some praise but those companies do not cover all segments of the automotive market.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SobeSVT is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Ford Mondeo
 
Tahoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA, Living Room, Babies Sleeping
Posts: 1,062
Re: The American Gas Guzzler Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonlu View Post
Uh, did you forget about the Toyota Prius? And right now, I'd say that Nissan Altima Hybrid is the leader in the midsize segment (I do not consider the Prius a midsize car, although I know that the EPA says otherwise), although the Fusion is about to change that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobeSVT View Post
I like Nelsonlu's approach. You all know I am all against BS ourselves and we do a lot of THAT here.

In this case however, the fact that the Prius exists or that the Nissan Altima hybrid rules (momentarily) doesn't negate the fact that Detroit is suffering unfairly from the burdens of this media fed gas guzzlers reputation, when big foreign car companies like Nissan, and Toyota also make thirsty behemoths w/o suffering the consequences from a PR point of view.

Companies like Honda, Suzuki or VW are the ones that may deserve some praise but those companies do not cover all segments of the automotive market.
you both make valid points. I think the article is trying to say that, contrary to popular opinion, Detroit is in the game. Notice there were no hybrids sighted in the CR article. If they were, then you would have had the Tahoe Hybrids, the Ford Escape, and GM BAS system vehicles in there too.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tahoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
american, gas, guzzler, myth

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome