Ford Inside News banner

Ford April Sales Down 7.2% Overall

8K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  Bloggin 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2017/05/sales/april17-sales.pdf

Media.Ford.com
Highlights:

 Ford Motor Company’s overall U.S. April 2017 sales declined 7.2 percent compared to a year ago, with 214,695 vehicles sold
 Retail sales totaled 140,762 vehicles, a 10.5 percent decline
 Fleet sales flat, with 73,933 vehicles sold
 Ford Motor Company average transaction pricing remains strong, increasing $1,900 last month,
outperforming the industry increase of $210*
 Ford F-Series surpassed the 70,000 vehicle mark, with 70,657 pickups sold. This is a 0.2 percent
decline versus a year ago, with an overall increase of $3,700 in average transaction pricing*
 Ford Escape sales totaled 25,637 vehicles last month, up 7 percent
 Ford Expedition sales totaled 5,116 SUVs, a 13 percent gain; Ford Edge up 6 percent, with 12,147 vehicles sold
 Lincoln retail sales up 3 percent, retail passenger cars up 43 percent

See less See more
#3 ·
Conti and MKZ both up. All of Lincoln's utilities are down, which is interesting. I wonder why. Can't wait for new Navigator to arrive. I do believe it'll give Lincoln a shot in the arm - both on Navigator volume alone and the sort of halo effect it will bring to the brand's other products.

Also, thanks to whoever added the sales chart to my post.....I tried to, but couldn't get it to work, and didn't have time to mess with it further.

#17 ·
...Also, thanks to whoever added the sales chart to my post.....I tried to, but couldn't get it to work, and didn't have time to mess with it further.
YW :D
...Lincoln has flattened out now, adding less than 2,000 sales so far this year as they give and take across the line...
really NEED the coming-I-trust analysis in Andrew's LuxSales thread
I've always wondered this, MKX sales have been relatively flat since it debuted, it has never grown despite the emergence of the segment and Lincoln's relatively early penetration. Part of that is just Lincoln's smaller customer reach and the increased competitive variety. MKC certainly absorbs some of those customers as well.

Here is a summary of its sales hisotry. You can see 2007 and 2016 were its best years.

Calendar Year American sales
2006[6] 859
2007[6] 37,953
2008[7] 29,076
2009[8] 21,433
2010[9] 21,932
2011[10] 23,395

2012[11] 25,107
2013[12] 23,913
2014[13] 23,995
2015[14] 22,199
2016[15] 30,967...
reminder: 2008 was the start of the Great Recession and $4+ petrol

#4 ·
Retail Passenger car sales up 43 percent while car sales are down 24%? That's some interesting data right there.

Another flat month for Ford SUVs with Expedition accounting for most of the growth and absorbing the Flex, Explorer, and Edge declines this year. Escape finding a bit more room and seems poised to overtake Fusion as their bestselling car this year if only because of Fusion's collapse. Fusion has lost almost 30,000 sales so far this year, that represents about 50% of Ford's car decline. Mustang and Focus take up the rest with Fiesta holding fairly flat.

Lincoln has flattened out now, adding less than 2,000 sales so far this year as they give and take across the line. Continental above 1,000 this month again is good to see. Navigator accounting for most of the sales loss ahead of the next model. Lincoln seems prone to some ups and downs from month to month, last few months MKX and MKC had big increases, this month it's MKZ while the rest is down. It's probably tied to other factors like incentives which is pulling sales up each month.

Otherwise, at least Ford doesn't standout as much this month as it has been in recent months, the rest of the industry isn't much better.

#8 ·
I have to agree. I don't get how Cadillac sells double the amount of XT5s.....granted it's their only crossover, vs. 2 for Lincoln. As I said in my above post, I'm thinking/hoping Navigator will help bring up sales of the whole lineup, bringing customers into the showroom. The coming refresh that eliminates the polarizing (though I think great looking) split wing grille would probably help it appeal to a broader audience as well.

#7 ·
- Ford Motor Company’s overall U.S. April 2017 sales
declined 7.2 percent compared to a year ago, with
214,695 vehicles sold
- Retail sales totaled 140,762 vehicles, a 10.5
percent decline
- Fleet sales flat, with 73,933 vehicles sold
- Ford Motor Company average transaction pricing
remains strong, increasing $1,900 last month,
outperforming the industry increase of $210*
- Ford F-Series surpassed the 70,000 vehicle mark,
with 70,657 pickups sold. This is a 0.2 percent
decline versus a year ago, with an overall increase of
$3,700 in average transaction pricing*
- Ford Escape sales totaled 25,637 vehicles last
month, up 7 percent
-Ford Expedition sales totaled 5,116 SUVs, a 13
percent gain; Ford Edge up 6 percent, with 12,147
vehicles sold
-Lincoln retail sales up 3 percent, retail passenger
cars up 43 percent

#11 · (Edited)
I don't think MKC makes for a great Lincoln because it doesn't offer the same size and comfort people expect from Lincoln. And for the price, MKX certainly offers more for the money. It's also a hard sell if you are cross shopping Fords which many Lincoln customers do, you can buy an Edge or Explorer for the same money so you'd have to want the MKC for other less tangible reasons like brand and style. Still, I think it's holding on quite well for Lincoln. Unless fuel efficiency becomes a bigger concern, I think the small luxury crossover sales are going to be limited. And it seems to be a big seller in China.

Both the MKC and MKX are also due for the new Lincoln look in a few years which should spread some of that new Lincoln enthusiasm to the crossovers.

As for the stubby shape of MKC, it's going to be very hard (or expensive) to fix this unless the next-generation C platform stretches out the wheelbase which is possible. Although it's never going to be quite as dramatic as the Germans, it should give them a bit more room to style the vehicles in a way that is consistent with other high-end luxury brands and less Ford-like.

One of the best looking 2-row crossovers right now that ISN'T German is the Volvo XC60 which I'm definitely considering for my next purchase.

#13 ·
One of the best looking 2-row crossovers right now that ISN'T German is the Volvo XC60 which I'm definitely considering for my next purchase.

Now that's nice. It's got a longer 109 inch wheelbase(MKX is 112), compared with 107 expected with the new MKC. But notice how it's more sport/athletic and luxury. Lincoln needs to get there with their lineup.

For example, the best segment selling RX is another example of what the larger market wants. But I do understand Lincoln is still on it's come back, and did not have the years of development in place before having to launch new models. It is the 2018 Navigator which is really the first Lincoln that is designed to compete head to head with the segment leader. It's the first model Lincoln has that's not designed and marketed 'between' the major segments or 'around' the competition.

I anticipate each coming new model(MKC and MKZ) to be right on target for the established global segments, able to check all the boxes the consumer has with no compromises, so it's near the top of the shopping list and not an afterthought.....Oh....what about Lincoln.

#12 ·
What's also interesting to note is that Navigator is down, but not just because of the next gen, but because it's expensive and OLD!.

Expedition is just as old, with next gen model coming 4th quarter, but sales are still up 13%. I still wonder what's driving those sales.

#14 ·
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...r-van-explains-why-u-s-auto-sales-are-slowing

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2017-05-01/what-is-driving-down-u-s-auto-sales-video

A $50,000 Chrysler Minivan Explains Slowing U.S. Auto Sales

To understand why the U.S. auto market isn’t growing, consider a top-of-the-line minivan from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV now costs about $50,000.
With twin second-row touch screens, reclining third-row seats, a vacuum and automated parallel parking,*the Chrysler Pacifica packs plenty of features to justify a hefty expense. But this big a price tag puts the prototypical family vehicle out of reach for most Americans.

After U.S. auto sales fell in each of the first three months of the year, the annualized sales pace, adjusted for seasonal trends, probably slowed in April to about 17.1 million, from 17.4 million a year earlier. With marginal buyers beginning to balk due to sticker shock, Ford Motor Co. cautioned last week it’s not going to be able to count on price increases to boost North American profits the rest of this year.
“At some point that will be one of the aspects that will continue to drive down the volume,” Bob Shanks, Ford’s chief financial officer, said in an interview. “It will become tougher.”

#16 · (Edited)
The $50k price tag was always there for a fully loaded version of the minivan from any of the manufacturers. The article makes it seem like everyone who wanted a Pacifica had to buy the fully loaded version. Not the case. Right now it's just making it to dealerships and filling inventory. The 2017 Pacifica starts at the same $28k as before.

#19 · (Edited)
I'm with you, although I think the new direction was needed. I just can't get excited by the new style however, but I hope it has room to evolve. It's a little like the Ford grille, the new Lincoln grille looks better on certain cars, specifically those that were designed around it from the beginning like the Fusion. For the rest it looks watered down or just awkward by comparison (Fiesta, B-Max, S-Max, Galaxy) . I think the MKZ update ruined a superior design inside and out, mostly because the execution was so incomplete and tacked on. But it's still a better product with nicer hardware which typically makes up for it. I'm hoping they iterate the design and do something more interesting each time, especially by the time it gets to MKX. I wouldn't mind if it looked more like that Volvo, just a little more charisma and youthfulness would be nice. Sharper more aggressive lines, less chrome saturation, more depth to the surfacing, etc. And if you're gong to be style for minimalism, focus more on impressive proportions.

#22 · (Edited)
I think Lincoln was going for something more sporty and European with the new grille and lower fascia, although I think the previous design was more 'aggressive and progressive' so to speak. The overall execution however is more sedate and less relatable to those other vehicles simply because Lincoln doesn't have that architectural presence of the RWD Europeans it's emulating. The Continental is halfway there while the MKZ is....not. I get what they are trying to do but I would direct Lincoln's attention toward the new Caddy Escala fascia which I think achieves something similar but in a more original and progressive design that I actually find pretty exciting. In either case, I don't think Lincoln's strength right now is in design but in its luxury, amenities, and surprising performance. I think their goal is just to give customers fewer reasons to ignore Lincoln by using fairly standard luxury design nomenclature instead of freaking out like Lexus when they haven't earned the confidence to do so. And for the most part I think their targeted customers prefer a Lincoln that LOOKS like a Lincoln and people are generally happy with it. People like me originally liked Lincoln because they were a little on the edge and experimental, it was always something unique if inconsistent. They are heading in the right direction either way, I have confidence they know what they are doing and the brand has never been so well put together. While I would never consider the new MKZ (use to adore it), I like the Continental so I have hope they can get it right on MKX and others.

#26 ·
2018 Navigator gives a good indication that Lincoln is willing to go all the way exterior design wise. There is a lot happening there, that is not traditional Lincoln, but the New Lincoln. We almost got there with Continental, and it's like they chickened out with the front end and toned it down, but the rest of on point. The MKZ intention I think is to prepare the consumer for what's coming next. That's why I am expecting a design leap with the new MKC and new MKZ.

#23 ·
Behind the Numbers with Erich Merkle: April 2017

There are a lot of negative industry sales stories being penned this month by the media. While sales for us and the industry were down, it’s not as bad as the headlines suggest. Oftentimes, members of the media use a little volatility in the market to attract eyeballs.

We are in a plateauing industry that we are anticipating will be slightly lower than a year ago. This means that we are going to experience both pain and gain on a monthly basis as we move through the year. Last month was a bit of a pinch.

The auto industry as a whole was down, as we saw some restraint on incentive spending last month, which typically results in lower sales volumes in a plateauing industry. However, one thing differentiating Ford from the rest of the pack last month – in a good way – was our average transaction pricing (ATP), which was up $1,900 in April, far outpacing the industry’s $210.

Were there any key takeaways last month to build from? Sure.

F-Series sales surpassed the 70,000 mark with 70,657 pickups sold, which is roughly on par with last April’s results. Okay, it was just short of the 70,774 F-Series sold in April last year but that particular month was one of the tougher comparisons, as F-Series was up 13 percent. Nevertheless, anytime you break through the 70,000 truck mark in April… it’s a good month, and our pricing combined with the strong consumer interest in high-series trim levels can’t be overlooked. For example, ATPs for Super Duty hit a record $58,200 per truck, which is $8,400 higher than a year ago. Sixty percent of 2017 Super Duty customers are buying high-series models – Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum – and many are opting for our new diesel powertrain, which is almost an $8,795 option! I don’t own a diesel, but I love ‘em!

Ford brand SUV s are off to their best start ever with a total of 259,888 vehicles sold through April. They also had a record April sales month with 67,309 vehicles sold. Escape led the way with sales up 7 percent and 25,637 vehicles sold. The Expedition and Edge also had a strong month with sales up 13 percent and 16 percent respectively. I am really looking forward to the all-new Expedition later this year; we will be truly competitive in a growing segment. Yes, I said growing. The large traditional SUV segment is up 18 percent through April of this year. That compares to an overall industry that is down slightly. By the way . . . did you know that the largest buying block for large SUVs is people between the ages of 35 to 44? It’s true. I also know that there are a lot of young people that get a year older every year. The oldest millennial turns 37 this year – I like the future of this segment!

#24 · (Edited)
Ford's overall SUV sales are only up a couple thousand units for the year however and not absorbing the huge losses in their car business. I really wish they would address this or tell us where those customers are going since their SUV sales have been flat instead of growing like the rest of the industry. I certainly respect that Ford is focusing on fewer but more profitable sales and shifting their business over to where the money is, but SUVs need to be part of that transition and that's not happening. It could be that Ford has simply gotten to the SUV markets early and can't really go up without entering more segments since the market continues to diversify and divide up the customers.

#25 ·
I think there are few factors playing into it....

1) Many competitors have newer products
2) Mixed refresh results (Escape's was better than Fusion's or Focus' but still could've been better)
3) Other brands have produced more, but are also using incentives to keep sales up high, Ford is doing the opposite
4) Ford has more SUVs/CUVs coming to help expand their marketshare.

#29 · (Edited)
Ford of Canada Delivers Best April Since 1989

OAKVILLE, Ont., – Propelled by record truck sales and steady momentum from utilities, Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd. delivered its best April since 1989 with 30,401 vehicles sold. Canadian-built Ford Edge had its best April on record with a 22 per cent sales increase. Additional sales jumps from Ford Escape, Ford Explorer and Ford Expedition, up four per cent, 20 per cent and 134 per cent respectively, establishes Ford as Canada’s top SUV brand.

“We continue to see sales growth in utilities with customers favouring the functionality and technology of Ford’s SUVs,” said Mark Buzzell, president and CEO, Ford of Canada. “With new utilities on the horizon including the all-new 2018 EcoSport, Ford’s smallest SUV, and an all-new 2018 Ford Expedition, we’re well-positioned to meet the future demands of Canadians.”

With 14,326 Ford F-Series sold in the month of April, Canada’s best-selling pickup achieved its best April on record and saw a sales increase of three per cent. Ford Transit Van experienced its best month on record with a 23 per cent sales increase.

Lincoln also posted gains in utility sales with the Lincoln Navigator up 20 per cent.

Highlights:
Ford F-Series sales increase 3% - Best April on record

Ford SUV and CUV sales increase 13%

Ford Escape sales increase 4%

Ford Edge sales increase 22% - Best April on record

Ford Explorer sales increase 20%

Ford Expedition sales increase 134%

Ford Transit Van sales increase 23% - Best month on record

Ford C-MAX sales increase 7%

Lincoln Navigator sales increase 20%

#30 ·
Thanks 2B2 for the 2015-2017 three year Ford/Lincoln sales comparisons & thanks wingsnut for the April 2017 Ford/Lincoln Canada sales update! :) Ford's year-to-date 2017 sales of both trucks and utilities is ahead of 2016! Unfortunately, all of Ford's cars' (except for the Fiesta) sales are lower for 2017, than 2016. :| Hopefully updated new products will help to refresh a universally stagnant automobile market. It's not so surprising, Lincoln Motor Company sales are higher, year to date, with the new 2017 Continental and refreshed 2017 MKZ. The 2018 Lincoln Navigator can't come soon enough, to help Lincoln to recapture the full size luxury suv market it first established, in 1998.

#31 ·
Here is an article entitled, "Lincoln Sales Total 9,691 Vehicles in April as Continental, MKZ Drive Retail Car Growth," from The NW focused on Lincoln 2017 sales. :)

"Lincoln’s US sales totaled 9,691 vehicles in April, down 0.9% year-over-year from sales of 9,776 units the year prior. Retail sales were up 3%, however, driven by a 43% year-over-year sales increase for retail passenger cars made possible by big gains from the MKZ and the continued success of the new Continental."

"Through the first third of 2017, Lincoln’s sales are up 6% at 36,774 vehicles sold." :cool:

http://thenewswheel.com/lincoln-sal...l-as-continental-mkz-drive-retail-car-growth/

#33 ·
Ford Motor Company China Sales Rise 11% in April; Ford, Lincoln Sedans Boost Monthly Performance

• Ford Motor Company sold nearly 94,000 vehicles in April in China, up 11 percent compared to April 2016.

• Monthly sales for Changan Ford Automobile (CAF) totaled more than 62,000 vehicles, up 6 percent compared to the same time last year.

• Jiangling Motor Corporation sold more than 25,000 vehicles in April, a 15 percent increase compared to April 2016.

• Lincoln sold more than 4,500 vehicles in April, a 95 percent increase compared to April 2016.

• Sales of Ford sedans bounced back in April, with sales of the Escort, new Focus, new Mondeo and Taurus together up 10 percent compared to April 2016.

• Ford SUVs also remain popular among consumers with sales of the EcoSport, Kuga, Edge, Everest and Explorer up 4 percent in April. The Ford Edge remains a top performer, with sales up 19 percent in April. Kuga sales rose 9 percent in April, with the nameplate seeing it’s best month so far in 2017.

• Sales of Lincoln sedans remain strong, with sales of the MKZ and the Continental up more than 282 percent in April and 366 percent for the year.

• Lincoln SUV monthly sales increased 44 percent compared to April 2016 and year-to-date sales are up 50 percent.

• Ford now expects China industry sales volume to be 28.2 million in 2017.

Here is the PDF

#34 ·
In the US Lincoln sold 9,691with about 900 stores, and in China is already selling 4,500 with about 100 stores.

I wonder if it's primarily Continental that's boosting Lincoln sedan sales by at least 300%, with a 66% increase for MKZ.

Also just noticed that the Continental comes with a 261hp? 2.0L or a 378hp? 3.0L engine in China.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.