122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 03:48 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Re: Hackett 100-Day Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
...C-Max wagon was not really a replacement for the Escape Hybrid CUV, but to compete with the new larger Prius V wagon in its same class. C-Max actually does well in the rest of the world as a petrol/diesel vehicle, along with the Energi model being imported to China and sold to fleet buyers(it's that number of 'OTHER' under imports on the Ford Export sales sheet...
wondering if the current China-bound C-maxes could be un-extended dumping...
...when does their mileage^minimum go into effect?? @Bloggin

Quote:
...This is why I say there will be a new lighter(sharing much of the new Focus platform) more aerodynamic, more fuel efficient C-Max Hybrid, Energi and Full EV model(similar to what Hyundai is doing) coming with its code name being Model E internally. I doubt that Ford would actually try and market an electric vehicle with the name Model E when the #1 selling EV Global brand has Model S, Model 3, Model X and upcoming Model Y. That would really be in bad taste on Ford's part.

The Focus EV is another interesting one. With Ford finally going in house with its battery packs and drivetrain, a Focus EV can now be sold in volume levels. And just like the Fusion/Mondeo, I believe that Ford will do the ICE, Hybrid, PHEV, and EV or ICE, PHEV, EV for C-Max(the small electric cuv with 300 miles of range) and Focus, with PHEV coming for Escape/MKC, Edge/MKX, Explorer/Aviator, Expedition/Navigator. I think going forward, just hybrid itself won't do...it has to have a plug and 31 EV miles of range that China requires.
Lately, I've gotten the feeling that along with B-Max (trademark rumor), C-Max the Nomenclature might not be leaving along with the euro-hand-me-down MPV that bore it.
Which,
raises (for me) the question of the Model-E being labelled E-Max other than in adverts
&
thus a D-Max would not be out of the question either, imho.

My guess is that they will all be ultra-aero Cuvs, to:
• get away from sedan backlash
• offer better packaging-volume
• prevent Cuv-penalty eMpg-loss
tho
imho, IF the spacepod-Look of the 80-90's resurfaces (LUCID et al.), only the first Mfg to make that impression will 'get-away' with it & for only 1-&-a-half generations
(unless the mobility supporters take our vehicles away from the former middle class,
as my paranoia insists is the 1%ers fiendish plan)

- - - - - - -
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Yes but could you imagine the ego on Ford brass if they had committed to Ranger, Explorer and Full sized Utilities like they did with F150 and Super Duty. Man, there would be no living with them because they would be making a fortune more than now with even less regard for the future.
At least this way, the brass know just how vulnerable the company is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
...Previously I thought Ford had an uncanny ability to see the future but they obviously quit...
back in post-2006 (mortgage-time) I decided Fomoco cornered the market on
• Karma (the good kind)
• Genius &or
• LUCK
maybe it was Luck?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
...Obviously Fields was not part of that plan...
...they are sitting on a mountain of cash in preparation to make it all happen...
so (AFAIK) Mark Fields served his ^function^
Quote:
...an era of leadership...
...innovation like Hybrids, EcoBoost, Sync/MyFord pre< [Mulally Era iirc] >post Aluminum trucks...
...(not sure about the timing of) a laundry list of niceties from the kick lift gate, capless fuel filler doors, adaptive cruise, automated parking features, and much much more...

Quote:
...Now we are left with a Ford that has suddenly stopped dead in its tracks in every possible way...
I'll freely admit to favoring a wait-&-see approach last November -- still not convinced it's completely wrong
Quote:
...one of the reasons I find the EcoSport so annoying, a severely compromised and uncompetitive product despite the fact that they are LAST in market...
"The EcoSport reminds me of" the C-Max = euro-Ugly ...face-lift did help a Little
wingsnut likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 04:12 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
...What makes matters worse is that Ford released a video of their engineer talking about how the Fusion Energi was not even planned, but an afterthought. Someone said, 'what if we..." and they did it. Which indicates back in 2012 Ford had no plug-in Energi plan at all...
prolley cuz I believe more invention is Discovery than even perspiration let alone planned-development,
that "WHAT IF" actually gives me Hope
tho the LACK of a mkZENergi might take it away again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #163 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 04:17 PM
FIN Staff Member

^...yeah....I think Ford will use the MAX brand name for a series of electrified vehicles, with a next gen C-Max as part of the plan. But not the boxy version we see today, but more sleek and sporty CUV type vehicles.

B-Max: sub compact EV (small 200+ mile cuv EV) - city car
C-Max: Compact PHEV + 200+ mile EV - wider market compact
E-Max: Midsize EV - commuter 300+ mile CUV

Take this S-Max Concept with it's lower sleek, clean, modern lines and expand that to three size models........that would be HOT!

2b2 likes this.

Last edited by Bloggin; 09-10-2017 at 04:19 PM.

post #164 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 04:48 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ had to rumage thru Mission2020...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2~2yearsAgo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
old rendering found on the web, c.2004

- "spute"
- sportbrake, ref: Cadillac chop
Quote:
Volvo Cars to go all electric - Jul 05, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eIaTikUXvQ
More... plus a longer video
Quote:
was daydreaming about my ideal car and somehow started wondering what a C-Max would look like if it was re-skinned with the Macan? ...very rough&quick
...comtemplating a(nother) To Do List for FLincMoCo...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 09-10-2017 at 09:56 PM.
post #165 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 09:53 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

dunno why they didn't post this on FB earlier...

Ford CEO Shares Vision With UAW Before Wall Street Gets a Look at the Goods
TTAC
- Matt Posky - September 8, 2017

Prior to outlining Ford Motor Company’s new strategy to financial analysts and corporate investors, CEO Jim Hackett wants to check-in with leadership from the United Automobile Workers. Hackett has been undertaking a summer-long assessment of the company’s current status and action points — established during Mark Fields’ executive tenure — with a mind to reevaluate the status quo.

However, before he announces his new vision for the company to Wall Street, Hackett is giving the UAW a peek. Jimmy Settles, the head of the union’s Ford department, called the move an important signal that the current boss is interested in putting workers first and starting things off on the right foot.

“Normally, it’s the other way around, if it happens at all,” Settles explained to Bloomberg on Wednesday. “Then people know that I care about you. You’re hearing it from me. You don’t have to hear about it from the media.”

Despite Ford having made plans to lay off roughly 10 percent of its workforce last month, Settles and UAW President Dennis Williams seemed pleased that Hackett had indicated no loss in union employment.

“He said, ‘Look here, my review is not to see how many heads I can cut.’ He made that perfectly clear,” Settles said of a recent meeting with Hackett. “He’s looking for innovation. We talked about upscaling. The jobs of today may not be the jobs of tomorrow, but let’s talk about that in advance.”

Hackett is expected to elaborate on Ford’s intention to accelerate the development of autonomous vehicles and boost the company’s sagging stock in a meeting with analysts and investors in New York next month. Settles says Hackett should be sharing some of those details with the UAW first — perhaps not everything but enough to give them a sense of what is to come.

“I hope he outlines the vision, the long-term vision,” Settles said. “Our members want to hear that. People want to feel secure.”

Ford’s share price fell 37 percent during Fields’s three years at the helm. It was the primary reason Hackett was tapped to replace him. As the former CEO of office furniture maker Steelcase Inc., he’s still getting accustomed to the automotive landscape but Settles indicated he wasn’t worried about his background.

“Hackett is obviously not a car man, but he knows manufacturing and seems to be very, very innovative,” he explained. “It seems when Bill Ford personally goes out and picks people, they seem to be the right people.”

post #166 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 10:21 PM
FIN Staff Member

“He said, ‘Look here, my review is not to see how many heads I can cut.’ He made that perfectly clear,” Settles said of a recent meeting with Hackett. “He’s looking for innovation. We talked about upscaling. The jobs of today may not be the jobs of tomorrow, but let’s talk about that in advance.”

That is the big take away from that article. Because it speaks NOTHING about autonomous vehicles or PHEVs, but of pure electric vehicles, that are much simpler to manufacture, with thousands of fewer parts, requiring fewer people to build them. But it does open new jobs in battery manufacturing, battery pack building, and building new electric motors and other electric components. More plug and play manufacturing.

VW's CEO did the same with its workers who were freaking out, to help them understand that many of the traditional combustion engine related jobs are going away, but new jobs in EV technology will take its place which will require retraining of current workers for more high tech positions. And Ford is expected to be following right in VW Group's foot steps but with more high tech jobs in the US, Europe, and China.

Volkswagen plans 30,000 job cuts, shift to electric cars

The plan calls for fewer employees and more high-tech factory jobs in Germany.
https://www.upi.com/Business_News/20...5621479471752/
post #167 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Ford Explorer

Sounds like Jim is playing nice-nice with the UAW, in advance of pending huge cuts to the workforce.
falcon lover and jpd80 like this.

post #168 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

If there is one thing Ford is really good at, it's engine development and modular power pack systems that are compatible with all of their cars so they can scale and tailor at a global level. That likely applies to their next Hybrid systems which have to bolt-in like an engine and not be an integrated system dependent on the platform, but ideally they are likely developing new platforms for battery packs which takes longer.
post #169 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Ford Explorer

Of course Ford will combine ICE, hybrid, PHEV and EV. It appears to be the only sustainable path through actual profitability.

post #170 of 182 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
^...yeah....I think Ford will use the MAX brand name for a series of electrified vehicles, with a next gen C-Max as part of the plan. But not the boxy version we see today, but more sleek and sporty CUV type vehicles.

B-Max: sub compact EV (small 200+ mile cuv EV) - city car
C-Max: Compact PHEV + 200+ mile EV - wider market compact
E-Max: Midsize EV - commuter 300+ mile CUV

Take this S-Max Concept with it's lower sleek, clean, modern lines and expand that to three size models........that would be HOT!

All that is is an exaggerated sketch of the current S-Max.
falcon lover likes this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page