Hackett 100-Day Review - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:02 PM
FIN Staff Member

Re: Hackett 100-Day Review

So far what I get from the article is that Hackett has been focused on consolidation of production to cut costs. But with Hackett not being a car guy, maybe not understanding consumers can be more passionate about their car and how/where it's made, than a piece of office furniture, along with eliminating jobs in smaller countries may have a negative impact on brand perception and sales. He just might want to see how this moving the Focus to China and importing a Chinese made Focus back to the US works out first, because I have a feeling that that move will have a negative impact on brand loyalty for many consumers. Meaning that if I have to buy a Chinese made Ford, I might be better off buying an American made BMW, Toyota, Honda or Hyundai/Kia.

As far as Lincoln goes, Ford has no time to change the game plan again and it would be irresponsible for Hackett to take Lincoln in any direction but faster forward. HOPEFULLY, Hackett has figured out that Lincoln needs to very quickly get on par with the two luxury leaders, Mercedes-Benz and BMW. No more avoiding direct competition in each established luxury segment, but building vehicles that can compete head-to-head with the best. Which means D6 up and down the Lincoln lineup, and Quiet Luxury needs to evolve into Exhilarating Performance.

Now I don't care much for the exterior/interior design of the Lucid Air model, but it's the platform, integrated motor/transmission and battery pack that could benefit Ford. But I think the brand would have to be a separate entity and for any success, the interior/exterior design would have to be completely different than what we see on a Ford or Lincoln product. This new brand should actually sit ABOVE Lincoln, offering the highest available power, range, performance from an EV, with tech passed down to Lincoln Luxury hybrids/plug-ins/EVs and then to Fords. But it is the EV brand that would have the flagship EV models at each segment.

Ford
Lincoln
Mercury/Lucid
wingsnut, 2b2 and glyphics like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:27 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Arrow Re: Hackett 100-Day Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
This new brand should actually sit ABOVE Lincoln, offering the highest available power, range, performance from an EV, with tech passed down to Lincoln Luxury hybrids/plug-ins/EVs and then to Fords. But it is the EV brand that would have the flagship EV models at each segment.

Ford
Lincoln
Mercury/Lucid
Bloggin has 2b2 hacked your account?

Are you suggesting that Mercury should be reintroduced and slotted above Lincoln? I usually agree with you but this is ridiculous.

IF (big if) Ford decides to purchase Lucid, then the design should be integrated into the Lincoln brand perhaps as a next gen design language (especially interior design) and the technology could be placed into each model as they are either refreshed or redesigned eventually trickling down to Ford's.

But for Ford to reintroduce Mercury or Lucid and slot either of them above Lincoln is absurd; it would definitely divert financial resources that could go to making Lincolns better.
ehaase, 2b2, scford58 and 2 others like this.
post #13 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:44 PM
Ford Explorer

Just like Lucid, who developed their own in-house battery chemistry, Ford is doing the same. I wonder what synergies can exist there. Kind of reminds me of when Ford developed their own first hybrid control system that overlapped too closely to Toyota, and decided to payout through shared technologies. Ford shared their expertise of catalyst technology and called it even. Of course, the media reported it as Ford is using Toyota hybrid tech. Perhaps a similar scenario is at play.
2b2 likes this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."

post #14 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:58 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ good point
might be cheaper to buy Lucid than license any disputable tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJKnox View Post
Are you suggesting that Mercury should be reintroduced and slotted above Lincoln? I usually agree with you but this is ridiculous...
...But for Ford to reintroduce Mercury or Lucid and slot either of them above Lincoln is absurd; it would definitely divert financial resources that could go to making Lincolns better.

I actually would never-ever want Merc above Lincoln.
&
for electrification, think Merc is best with mainly-plug-ins (+a few ordinary hybrids) for now

Quote:
...IF (big if) Ford decides to purchase Lucid, then the design should be integrated into the Lincoln brand perhaps as a next gen design language (especially interior design) and the technology could be placed into each model as they are either refreshed or redesigned eventually trickling down to Ford's...
I don't find the existing exterior styles incompatible...at all
hbmf3 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

I'm not sure what Hackett's attitudes is toward Lincoln but it's probably seen as a loss leader that doesn't generate any useful assets to the company in the way of technology and research. It still has enormous brand and product challenges that may be too financially risky to keep funding if Lincoln has trouble meeting goals and returning on investment. I'll be interested to see how that evolves, but I doubt we'll see Lincoln untouched by the new leadership. Lincoln's position is still no more secure now than it was before Mullally, it's still the smallest and cheapest luxury maker in the world and it hasn't been able to climb out of that position in any significant way. I don't think Ford really has the patience or need to continue funding Lincoln under this sort of financial reckoning. Lincoln's malleability is very low, it has a very specific customer and the barrier to new customers remains just too big to overcome.
ehaase likes this.
post #16 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:31 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
And as I also stated, Hackett could very well be another Mulally, ready to cut-cut-cut. How that makes him a hero to some of you, I have no idea.
Because for some of us Ford being very very profitable is more important than Lincoln having a competitor for every single BMW, Mercedes, or Tesla or developing a Starstang to please the fanbois.
post #17 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:38 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaase View Post
Because for some of us Ford being very very profitable is more important than Lincoln having a competitor for every single BMW, Mercedes, or Tesla or developing a Starstang to please the fanbois.
Ford is quite profitable, is sitting on a mound of cash, and last I heard, they never had a plan to compete with every single German counterpart. And I for one am glad they did not make a Cadillac of a mistake.

But what about all the other Ford product benefits he launched that contribute greatly through record ATP's? You skipped that part.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
post #18 of 182 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 10:33 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:

Are you suggesting that Mercury should be reintroduced and slotted above Lincoln? I usually agree with you but this is ridiculous.

IF (big if) Ford decides to purchase Lucid, then the design should be integrated into the Lincoln brand perhaps as a next gen design language (especially interior design) and the technology could be placed into each model as they are either refreshed or redesigned eventually trickling down to Ford's.

But for Ford to reintroduce Mercury or Lucid and slot either of them above Lincoln is absurd; it would definitely divert financial resources that could go to making Lincolns better.
ha ha.....slotting the EV brand above Lincoln has to be, because of pricing. 300 - 400+ mile EV models should be at the $75k price point(think Model S), with a sibling or lesser model as Lincolns and Ford models. That would naturally put the models above Lincoln's combustion engine vehicles.
post #19 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 03:07 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

Wednesday = 3 weeks to go for 100 days from May 22
so
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
D6 platform was mean to build the next Explorer (and perhaps the Aviator), plus the Mustang, Continental and MKZ. Crossovers , sedans and coupes.. why not? The Explorer are not vital for Ford? It needs a new platform soon. And Lincoln?... China is enough to justify to keep it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
I'll post it again here, I've been told CD6 is alive and well, and CD6-based Explorer/Aviator have been fast tracked (which would also alleviate some Lincoln concerns).
and
just in case the following is related ...which I never remembered to ask @Topnotch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotch View Post
Just got the "All Good"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 182 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 AM
Ford Kuga

What Billy Ford thinks https://www.wsj.com/articles/bill-fo...-it-1502215263

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page