Fordís New CEO Hints at Ambitious Plans - Page 14 - Ford Inside News Community
 461Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Re: Fordís New CEO Hints at Ambitious Plans

Borg, really, how many times a day would you say you like remind us how far behind Ford is with their electric strategy. I mean, you said it 3 times just in the paragraph above.

But the fact remains, they are number 2 in electrification and have more years of BEV experience than most. There is plenty to learn from that as they develop their next gen stuff.

A bigger battery does not equate to leadership.
ehaase and falcon lover like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Focus RS WRC

I'm not convinced that a "field of dreams" approach "if you build it they will come"
and really think that when it comes to BEVs, buyers don't necessarily come because
you've built something.

I think Ford should be hitting its straps with ICE and hybrid Utilities and trucks,
earn tons of money with conventional vehicles and use that to fund EV research
and development.

Let the early adopters get punished by the fickle nature of a low gas price market
but also accelerate the things needed now - newer more exciting products

I really don't think that trying to pander to hipsters is the solution either, their whims
and desires change like their underpants and committing to something today may well
see an auto company out of fashion by launch of the new product. It's better to be a fast
follower when so called watershed products are being predicted....
ehaase, wingsnut and falcon lover like this.

Last edited by jpd80; 10-07-2017 at 10:10 PM.
post #133 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 10:05 PM
FIN Staff Member

I think we might be confusing consumer interest with consumer options. Today's options include $80k-$140k Tesla models which is outside the budget of most consumers. And then we have the Bolt subcompact that offers over 200 miles of range, but in a package of an economy wagon, at the price of a midsize premium car that makes it an unattractive option.

Now that we have an attractive midsize sedan from Tesla, with paid reservations that exceed 500k today with orders being filled as production ramps up. This is the indicator that the ICE manufacturers are paying attention to because Tesla has a Model Y sports CUV coming soon. One has to pretend these actual consumers that have already paid $1,000 each(that's over $500 Million in reservations or over $17 Billion in sales revenue waiting on just one model) and are in line waiting for their vehicle(the ONLY widely desireable 200+-300+ mile EV) don't exist, in order to think there is low demand for EVs in the US.

Another way to look at this is that the Ford Brand has to sell 100,000 30+ mile PHEV + BEV models in China by the end of 2019.

Lincoln that could reach 70k sales in China for 2019 must sell 7,000 PHEV + BEV models by end of 2019.

But Ford/Lincoln can't be weak in the US, because ALL the competition are doubling-down on BEVs, and if Ford/Lincoln do not have the BEV that the consumer wants, they will go to the competition to get it. BEV will be a more powerful draw than RWD or 8-speed transmissions or V8 Engines. And Tesla and others are looking to disrupt the full-size pickup segment, with electrification, so Ford had better come with all they got....because cost of ownership of a BEV vs ICE is dramatic. 1/4 the energy cost, less than 50% maintenance costs, and this is what commercial customers are looking at now. Which is why Ford knows they need to offer BEV vans in China and Europe to compete, with the US next.

Yea....consumers are lined up waiting for their BEVs...and it's going to be about who can offer the BEV package that the consumer wants, and that's who becomes the leader. What this seems like is when consumers shifted dramatically from big SUVs to compact cars, and US manufacturers were not prepared and had little to offer the consumer, and Toyota and Honda won and are still winning and are still the leaders.

Ford/Lincoln just need to offer an ICE, PHEV and EV version of each model and let demand dictate where production volume sits. Something as simple as that.

Last edited by Bloggin; 10-07-2017 at 10:12 PM.

post #134 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Focus RS WRC

According to autoline daily, the stamping plant for the Tesla 3 is still in Michigan, they are yet to move it
to California so therefore, full line production is not happening soon enough and won't be any time soon.

If I was ordering a Tesla 3, I'd be wondering where my deposit went becaue Tesla's cash burn is about
to get a whole lot worse to pay for delays in ramp up - they're not getting the expected revenue needed
early in the project to get the rest done....this is going to be very bad for Tesla.

And you're right about PHEV Transit, just about every Ford van sold in China will be a PHEV but don't
forget that BEVs generate multiple credits so something like a NG Focus EV would generate considerable
breathing space....

I'm not denying that there isn't demand for BEV in the US but you cannot multiple the demand for Tesla
acrsoo all other brands, Tesla is the concentration for those buyers. and until we se much more interest
in brands other than Tesla, I'd give them all a wide berth.

Anyone thinking that EVs will remain low cost to power is kidding themselves, power utilities will change hands as our new energy masters position themselves to charge the new era fuel...

If BEV do eventually become the dominant vehicle some predict, the charge load on power utilities will
force a change of policy and if you own a BEV, you will be paying more than a few cents a night to recharge your car. The loss of gas tax income for road maintenance will also be addressed by higher registration fees.
ehaase, wingsnut and falcon lover like this.

Last edited by jpd80; 10-07-2017 at 11:55 PM.
post #135 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:48 AM
2b2
Mercury C557

ok... I saw a lot of hype when Magna opened a $40million factory in Grand Blanc, Michigan, 2012...

...well actually I just saw it NOW when googling CUZ
when I did a google-MAP for it the info panel says it's permanently closed
but
DON'T SEE any easy LINKS for THAT

@YellowZx5 you know about this??

edit - found another Magna factory a few miles northwest
10410 N Holly Rd, Holly, Michigan which seems open
I was gonna ask if MAGNA's (not Ford's) drivetrain was gonna make it to China
&
if the new VERSION (afaik it's Not All New) can do a better job of battery packaging??
jpd80 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 10-08-2017 at 01:16 AM.
post #136 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
According to autoline daily, the stamping plant for the Tesla 3 is still in Michigan, they are yet to move it
to California so therefore, full line production is not happening soon enough and won't be any time soon.

If I was ordering a Tesla 3, I'd be wondering where my deposit went becaue Tesla's cash burn is about
to get a whole lot worse to pay for delays in ramp up - they're not getting the expected revenue needed
early in the project to get the rest done....this is going to be very bad for Tesla.

And you're right about PHEV Transit, just about every Ford van sold in China will be a PHEV but don't
forget that BEVs generate multiple credits so something like a NG Focus EV would generate considerable
breathing space....

I'm not denying that there isn't demand for BEV in the US but you cannot multiple the demand for Tesla
acrsoo all other brands, Tesla is the concentration for those buyers. and until we se much more interest
in brands other than Tesla, I'd give them all a wide berth.

Anyone thinking that EVs will remain low cost to power is kidding themselves, power utilities will change hands as our new energy masters position themselves to charge the new era fuel...

If BEV do eventually become the dominant vehicle some predict, the charge load on power utilities will
force a change of policy and if you own a BEV, you will be paying more than a few cents a night to recharge your car. The loss of gas tax income for road maintenance will also be addressed by higher registration fees.
I have thought similar, that the electric costs will increase for everyone as road taxes, rates, etc. They could do that by simply charging more during off hours, when people are charging. But there is little doubt, everyone would pay more for electric somehow.

post #137 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 10:30 AM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
I have thought similar, that the electric costs will increase for everyone as road taxes, rates, etc. They could do that by simply charging more during off hours, when people are charging. But there is little doubt, everyone would pay more for electric somehow.
Are we forgetting about solar? With the rapid growth of solar adoption, especially with the new Tesla solar shingles and new panels + battery pack, homes are getting off the grid at a rapid pace. Along with small and large businesses, GM announced they should take all their plants off the grid in a few years globally with sun and wind.

Power companies charge based on when the peak load is, and the top-off charging most EVs will do at night, won't get close to the high demand from homes and businesses during the day running air conditioning. And just like with the oil companies, if they get greedy and try to jack up prices, that will just push more toward adding solar + battery pack to their homes and get off the grid.

What this means is electric costs should go down, with lower demand from homes in general and large business users. Even power companies are investing in solar farms. And with homeowners with solar and an EV, the car can get most if not all of it's daily charging from the sun(two car garage with solar can offer up to 50 miles of range).

Whether it's a road tax, fuel tax or toll road(tax), those dollars go to maintain the roadways. So if EVs are not using fuel and not playing a fuel tax, they just pay a higher road tax, but that's based on the propulsion of the vehicle, not in general for everyone. This is happening now.

But what I do see happening as more get off the grid, those left without access to solar will begin to pay more to support the old system of generating electricity.
post #138 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 10:31 AM
FIN Staff Member

"Earlier this week, Ford CEO Jim Hackett spoke at Grand Valley State University and told attendees he wouldn't ride in an autonomous vehicle on public roads yet because "the trust isn't real high."

That surprised a number of different people considering Ford is investing in the technology and it is notable as GM CEO Mary Barra has taken to Twitter to reveal she's certainly not afraid of autonomous driving. In a tweet, Barra revealed she spent 30 minutes on Wednesday cruising around San Francisco in an autonomous Chevrolet Bolt developed with the assistance of Cruise Automation."

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/gm-...-car-days.html
post #139 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

After every Hackett meeting, I walk away feeling depressed. Many I have talked to feel similar.
I came away from every Mually meeting feeling energized.
Fields just sounded like an engineer, but at least he was up beat.

That's just the way it is/was folks. So far, Hackjob is not impressing me in the slightest. I seriously doubt anything will change in short term, however, long term is up for grabs at this point.

Hackett's words about AV are very indicative of the man, not ever sounding too upbeat about the core of the business and products, etc. but rather, the future and legacy of the company.

As for the technology itself, I think Detroit has the lead. Ford has the better strategy going forward, although GM has implemented some of it just recently. I just don't want to see automakers rushing half-baked applications of AV to market to get a leg up.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/detroi...ving-car-race/
ehaase, 2b2 and jpd80 like this.

post #140 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Ford Focus ZX

From the Truth About Cars, October 8, 2017 ...

Promoting a future for wide electrification appears to be the Achillesí heel for bearish investors. Despite some bad publicity last week, Tesla Motorsí already sky-high share price resumed its relentless upward trend after a brief September slump. However, Tesla isnít the only domestic company benefiting from electrification. Both General Motors and Ford have also seen marked improvements on Wall Street following tech-forward corporate announcements.

For General Motors, that meant the promise of widespread electrification. CEO Mary Barra pressed the issue by reaffirming GMís three-tiered policy of, ďZero Crashes. Zero Emissions. Zero Congestion.Ē On a LinkedIn posting, Barra elaborated on the companyís vision where technology minimizes accidents via driverís aids and autonomous hardware, nullifies emissions through alternative powertrains, and reduces congestion using inter-vehicle connectivity.

In addition to GMís proposal to launch 20 new electric or fuel cell vehicles by 2023, the company has seen its share price jump twice in the same week. But Ford saw similar, although more modest, improvements in value following itís own announcement of a tech-driven future.

Ford CEO Jim Hackett, loosely defined the companyís drastic cost-cutting measures and proposed a flexibility that would allow it to remain competitive within an uncertain market. Part of that meant keeping its options open in regard to electrification and not abandoning the autonomous technologies it has spent a bundle procuring.

Market analysts have been carefully optimistic. More bullish experts have marked up both companiesí prospective valuations but admit to there being a cap on what Wall Street can expect, according to a report from Automotive News.

ďAt this point in the cycle [both in the U.S. and globally], it is extremely difficult to sustainably push earnings expectations to new highs,Ē Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas said in a note to investors. ďWe are not surprised to see auto firms spend greater portions of their presentations focused on a thoughtful pivot to Auto 2.0.Ē

That isnít reserved to domestic manufacturers, either. Toyota also pressed carefully onward with its own vision of the future by showcasing its new fun-loving attitude and adherence to a zero-emissions tomorrow ó neither of which appear to have hurt the feelings of investors. Itís valuation improved along a similar scale to GMís, although its already higher starting point made the increase slightly less noteworthy. Ford also didnít see astronomical gains but, having spent so much of the last five years on a downward trajectory, the sudden improvement could be indicative of something.

That something may be investor lust for tech talk and planning.

ďGeneral Motors believes the future is all-electric. A world free of automotive emissions,Ē product chief Mark Reuss said last week. ďThese arenít just words in a war of press releases. We are far along in our plan to lead the way to that future world.Ē

Reussí words coincide with GMís first stock leap from last week perfectly and was followed by a second jump when Barra discussed the companyís vision roughly a day later.

Fordís discussion wasnít nearly as specific, however it did say that it wanted to deliver an EV crossover with a 300-mile range by 2020 and follow it with other electric models. Perhaps more helpful was Hackettís claim of widespread connectivity, a technology he said could hold hidden financial potential. ďI donít feel that where we are competitively is where we should be,Ē Hackett said, adding he felt that could be resolved rather quickly.

Some of that is in regard to its current production strategy. While not exclusively tech-driven, Ford wants to streamline production and make some financial room for EV development and employment ó but plenty will also be going in to light trucks. Itís a more present-day strategy with hints that the company is keeping one eye on tomorrow. It was exactly what shareholders wanted to hear and, as a result, Fordís stock price climbed slightly.

Some investors wanted more concrete promises from Ford ó which might have been useful in bolstering share prices, but unwise before it has a clear course of action. While Ford definitely intends to put self-driving cars on the road and increase electrification, General Motors appears to have more overt confidence as to how to do it.

ďGM has the right hardware ó a centuryís worth of experience designing and assembling more than 500 million vehicles, more than any other automaker in the world, integrating software and hardware and delivering to customers the vehicles and experiences they want,Ē said Barra. ďAnd, as Americaís largest automaker, GM has the right scale. In contrast to companies that have built a small number of self-driving cars, our 150 manufacturing facilities can produce some 9 million vehicles a year, giving GM the capability to test and manufacture the next generation of electric and autonomous vehicles at scale.Ē

That shouldnít make one dismissive of Ford, though. Taking a more pragmatic and less staunch approach to the same technologies doesnít mean it wonít have them. And, while GM is fixated on futuristic automobiles with unproven sales records, Ford will be trying to improve its profit margins and focus a little more on the vehicles customers want today.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...s-electrified/
wingsnut, 2b2, jpd80 and 1 others like this.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page