Fordís New CEO Hints at Ambitious Plans - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 461Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 555 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: Fordís New CEO Hints at Ambitious Plans

Globally, as well as locally, Ford cars sell or don't sell on reputation. That Ford has models with such poor reputations says a lot about past corporate decision making.

Ford makes vehicles and they should be of high quality and have high desirability quotients. Ford can make all of the mobility appliances it wants but the buying public will always want the best bang for their bucks. So Ford's reputation as a vehicle manufacturer should always take center stage.

Hacketts biggest job is elevating Ford's reputation as an automotive manufacturer. The Silicon Valley stuff has to piggy-back on that. If he takes his eye off that ball, Ford will be dead in the water.
2b2 and AM222 like this.

Last edited by glyphics; 09-25-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 555 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

So one week away from the big revelation. I am quite eager. I think Hackett will be an agent of big change, unlike conventional changes we have experienced. I had my doubts and said I would give him a chance to prove himself, and from what I am piecing together, I think he will deliver in a big way. Although I have my worries about short and longer term cost to jobs. Specifically long term, if EV perpetuates faster than many predicted.

Interesting article here on that subject:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...one/105887760/
2b2 likes this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
post #13 of 555 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
Globally, as well as locally, Ford cars sell or don't sell on reputation. That Ford has models with such poor reputations says a lot about past corporate decision making.

Ford makes vehicles and they should be of high quality and have high desirability quotients. Ford can make all of the mobility appliances it wants but the buying public will always want the best bang for their bucks. So Ford's reputation as a vehicle manufacturer should always take center stage.

Hacketts biggest job is elevating Ford's reputation as an automotive manufacturer. The Silicon Valley stuff has to piggy-back on that. If he takes his eye off that ball, Ford will be dead in the water.
Two questions.

1. What Ford models do you believe have such poor reputations?
2. Do you believe your general statement can also be applied to any similar brand?
falcon lover likes this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."

post #14 of 555 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Ford Kuga

Any announcements will probably be light on specifics, such as what cars they are cutting and what cars they are bringing, especially since decisions are constantly changing which is why Field's overly transparent long-term product strategy is not a good idea. And any decisions made now will take at least 3-years to implement so we are going to be in a holding pattern for quite sometime on the company. It's probably a good time to consider a major restructuring, they need to significantly downsize their ICE development and refocus more on EVs, I'm pretty sure we'll see some longterm downsizing in those departments out of Dearborn and a shift toward Silicon Valley and China for much of their EV and Autonomy development. And this is also a good time to seek more partnerships since many of these technologies are well outside Ford's core competency and are incredibly expensive to undertake.

In either case, it's good to see Ford is self-aware enough to know they are at a critical point in their development. Right now the company has mostly disappeared from the conversation and has almost completely halted any forward momentum while the industry plows way ahead of them in almost every way. I know I won't be buying another Ford product for the foreseeable future but I hope they win me back next decade when their vision should be closer to realization.

Last edited by Assimilator; 09-25-2017 at 10:19 PM.
post #15 of 555 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Somewhere between the assertion by almost nobody that Fields was overly transparent on future product, and the all too frequent complaints by very many, that Fields revealed far too little....must be an actual truth.

And I can't see ICE downsizing just yet. In 10 years, even if EV manages to achieve 20% of sales, which I doubt, that still means that ICE will exist in some form in the remaining 80% of sales, which is quite significant. That 80% number requires development. They can't suddenly stop developing because of fewer sales. Perhaps fewer ICE options will account for much of that hypothetical 20% reduction, but ICE will continue to improve for many years to come and will no doubt begin to decrease in coming years. Just not at any sort of a fast rate.. And EV has already been increasing development for years now. As has all forms of electrification.

But the focus now will be on new ideas for mobility and autonomy. EV will be a big part of that, no doubt.

post #16 of 555 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:25 AM
Ford Kuga

The pace of EV conversion is being dramatically accelerated by China and the move away from Diesels in Europe should speed them on their way toward EVs...or a new age of petrol engines. VW is the one to watch closely since they seem to have the most aggressive large scale global EV strategy from platform up and Ford always seems to follow just behind them by about 3-5 years. So what we are seeing at VW and Audi probably gives us a rough idea of some of Ford's EV strategy, right down to the Model E.

As for ICE development, I know it will continue but major new developments make less sense if the market is shifting. There are going to be less ICE customers so the shift can start now.
post #17 of 555 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 AM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
So one week away from the big revelation. I am quite eager. I think Hackett will be an agent of big change, unlike conventional changes we have experienced. I had my doubts and said I would give him a chance to prove himself, and from what I am piecing together, I think he will deliver in a big way. Although I have my worries about short and longer term cost to jobs. Specifically long term, if EV perpetuates faster than many predicted.

Interesting article here on that subject:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...one/105887760/
Using the iphone "disruption" as a comparison to what might happen to the auto industry is ridiculous IMO. But they have to write something I suppose.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto
post #18 of 555 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Any announcements will probably be light on specifics, such as what cars they are cutting and what cars they are bringing, especially since decisions are constantly changing which is why Field's overly transparent long-term product strategy is not a good idea. And any decisions made now will take at least 3-years to implement so we are going to be in a holding pattern for quite sometime on the company. It's probably a good time to consider a major restructuring, they need to significantly downsize their ICE development and refocus more on EVs, I'm pretty sure we'll see some longterm downsizing in those departments out of Dearborn and a shift toward Silicon Valley and China for much of their EV and Autonomy development. And this is also a good time to seek more partnerships since many of these technologies are well outside Ford's core competency and are incredibly expensive to undertake.

In either case, it's good to see Ford is self-aware enough to know they are at a critical point in their development. Right now the company has mostly disappeared from the conversation and has almost completely halted any forward momentum while the industry plows way ahead of them in almost every way. I know I won't be buying another Ford product for the foreseeable future but I hope they win me back next decade when their vision should be closer to realization.
What are you talking about?

Fields' overly transparent long-term product strategy? You mean the one single announcement last year at NAIAS? The one that was made because they had the image of having nothing coming because of how non-transparent they'd been? Furthermore, much of what was announced was no-brainer product that we mostly already knew was coming.

You can argue that they're behind in several areas, because they are due to Fields' pausing everything, but having an "overly transparent long-term product strategy" is not something you can argue.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #19 of 555 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Two questions.

1. What Ford models do you believe have such poor reputations?
All of the Ford models they are about to cut.

Quote:
2. Do you believe your general statement can also be applied to any similar brand?
Yes.
post #20 of 555 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphics View Post
All of the Ford models they are about to cut.

Yes.

You mean the vehicles Ford will cut from USA have bad reputation? OK... we will see:

1- Fiesta: one of the best SuperMini or B cars. Acclaimed by experts as one of the best small cars. One of the best selling car in Europe. Why Ford is cutting it from USA?: because americans dont want to buy small cars, and want it to be cheap, very cheap to buy them. In Europe, you can buy a Fiesta Vignale with all the tech available in a bigger Fusion/Mondeo, at the right price (28000$). This car is not for USA.

2- Taurus: this is not a bad car, maybe an old one. Americans, again, dont want to buy big sedans... for them, only exist SUVs and Crossovers. Taurus is such a good car, that in China was launched a new version (chineses customers still want big, confortable sedans).

3- Lincoln MKT/Ford Flex: these old vehicles will be cut soon.. the Lincoln will be replaced by the rumored Explorer-based Aviator. The Flex will be axed will no replacement. Bad vehicles? Not really. The Flex will be acclaimed by journalists as one of the best people movers of the market, and have a lot of lovers in California. The MKT simply is ugly, but not a bad car.

I dont have notice about another vehicle that Ford will cut from USA portfolio... if you have more information, please share it...
ZanatWork likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page