Fordís New CEO Hints at Ambitious Plans - Page 6 - Ford Inside News Community
 461Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: Fordís New CEO Hints at Ambitious Plans

Thereís a lot of money to be had with a luxury brand, theyíll regret it if they just go down to Ford. Platinum and Limited trims can only have so much reach.
wingsnut, 2b2 and glyphics like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Weirdly Lincoln is not part of their strategic vision at all.
The complete lack of discussing it makes me wonder if a separate announcement will be made at another time?

Seems like a stupid, short sighted move to me, if it's not part of the vision.
2b2 likes this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior

Last edited by rmc523; 10-03-2017 at 06:20 PM.
post #53 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Ford Kuga

Not good for car fans, workers (generally speaking) and still no real idea what they are going to do.
2b2 and glyphics like this.

2012 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 SW Moondust Silver 5spd manual
2014 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.6 EcoBoost AWD Panther Black 6spd Auto

post #54 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 07:02 PM
FIN Staff Member

autonews.com
Ford's Hackett Calls for Sweeping Changes in Vehicle Development, Investment
Michael Martinez

Jim Hackett: "We must accept the virtues that brought us success over the past century are really no guarantee of future success." Photo credit: Rex Larson

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. CEO Jim Hackett on Tuesday outlined sweeping changes that include reallocating $7 billion from cars to SUVs, crossovers and pickups, speeding vehicle development, slashing costs by $14 billion and building Internet connectivity into Ford's full U.S. lineup within two years.

The updates are designed to improve Ford's competitive fitness, a term Hackett has used to describe how the automaker must evolve to stay ahead of its competition.

"When you're a long-lived company that has had success over multiple decades the decision to change is not easy -- culturally or operationally," Hackett said in a statement. "Ultimately, though, we must accept the virtues that brought us success over the past century are really no guarantee of future success."

Hackett's goals include aggressive cost-cutting. He plans to slash internal combustion engine capital expenditures by one-third and redeploy that money to electrification efforts. The company said Monday it would dedicate a team to expanding the number of fully electric cars Ford would offer.

Overall, Ford plans to reduce the rate of its automotive cost growth by half through 2022. It plans to cut $10 billion in incremental material costs and reduce engineering costs by $4 billion over the next five years.

Ford said it's reallocating $7 billion of capital from cars to light trucks. Earlier this year, Ford decided to move production of its next-generation Focus sedan from North America to China, saving money.

The automaker did not say whether it planned to kill any specific car nameplates. It did not say it would exit any vehicle segments, but rather that would continue in a more focused, reduced manner.

It also plans to simplify what vehicles customers can order. Ford said the team has identified a tenfold reduction of orderable combinations in the next-generation Escape. In addition, it's moving from 35,000 combinations in the current Fusion to 96.

Ford plans to add Internet connectivity in every one of its vehicles in the U.S. by 2019. By 2020, 90 percent of Ford's new global vehicles will feature connectivity, it said.

Ford said it was reaffirming its long-term goal of an 8 percent automotive operating margin as it looks to boost profitability. It also reaffirmed its financial guidance for 2017 of a $9 billion pretax profit.

CEO STRATEGIC UPDATE

Last edited by Bloggin; 10-03-2017 at 08:08 PM.
post #55 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Arrow Re: Fordís New CEO Hints at Ambitious Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellanca4.2 View Post
Thereís a lot of money to be had with a luxury brand, theyíll regret it if they just go down to Ford. Platinum and Limited trims can only have so much reach.
I don't think they are preparing to cut Lincoln off entirely as a brand.

However, the pessimist in me realizes that after the deliberate non-mentioning of Lincoln in the announcement it is abundantly clear that Ford's senior management is focused solely on Ford and Ford alone. If this truly is the case then Lincoln may just end up being an "accessory" brand like Acura is to Honda and Ford's will continue to go upscale in design, performance, and features until there is virtually no distinction between it and Lincoln other than a badge.

The optimist in me hopes that Ford will realize a healthy Lincoln brand is crucial to their global success, and that all of the progress Lincoln has made so far should not be interrupted.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
post #56 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:02 PM
FIN Staff Member

Attached Images
File Type: png Order Combinations.png (313.2 KB, 64 views)
2b2 likes this.
post #57 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 PM
FIN Staff Member

I think we found most of the $14 Billion to be saved right here...
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by Bloggin; 10-03-2017 at 08:06 PM.
post #58 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 PM
FIN Staff Member

Attached Images
File Type: png ICE to EV.png (190.6 KB, 60 views)
2b2 likes this.
post #59 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 PM
FIN Staff Member

Attached Images
File Type: png Reallocate.png (280.8 KB, 58 views)
post #60 of 555 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Simply amazing.....from 35K combinations to only 96 for Fusion. No wonder some people fret when ordering. If you are OCD, you are in deep shite.

And I don't know why I was expecting anything different than a long winded discussion from Jim, whereby he says very little in proportion to his word count. That is exactly what we have gotten from him thus far. The man can talk talk TALK, and that is conveyed in his 10 page PDF file where we still have a lot of unanswered questions.

And yeah, I think it is quite possible that Lincoln will soon be on the chopping block because we have not heard anything about their future, and even internally it is all cloudy and uncertain. Or at least some kind of radical change or shift.

So far, not impressed, but I will give him a bit more time before I thrash him and remind all who found fault with Fields and assumed he would be much better.
ehaase, 2b2, Bellanca4.2 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page