137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:06 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: Introducing Team Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
The Prius has something to say about this theory of yours
Not all people have great taste in cars like you and me, and, for a while it offered something that others didn't.

The added fact that it's a Toyota meant people felt it was a reliable choice and not much risk involved in trialing the new (at the time) tech.

Whilst your post may be friendly banter I strongly believe that great looks equal a far greater chance of success. I'm sure you've heard of the AU Falcon.
wingsnut, SP1966 and glyphics like this.

Last edited by Falc'man; 08-04-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:54 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man View Post
Not all people have great taste in cars like you and me, and, for a while it offered something that others didn't.

The added fact that it's a Toyota meant people felt it was a reliable choice and not much risk involved in trialing the new (at the time) tech.

Whilst your post may be friendly banter I strongly believe that great looks equal a far greater chance of success. I'm sure you've heard of the AU Falcon.
People will overlook some pretty serious faults if something is beautiful. Conversely, a car like the Prius required Toyota's reputation along with snobbish green angle. Slap an American brand name on it and remove the hybrid tech and it'd go down with the Pontiac Aztek as one of the worst vehicles ever!
post #183 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:07 PM
FIN Staff Member

What kept the Prius on top is the MPG bragging rights. But as we see now, as those hybrid bragging rights are taken away by challengers, the Prius consumer will switch to the new winner. Prius models did not have to look good, but all they needed to do was beat the competition with consistent MPG. Which is why Prius hybrid owners switched to the Prius PHEV in large numbers when it came out. But today a full EV with 200+ miles of range is above any commuter hybrid and wins that competition hands down. Using Zero gasoline and producing Zero CO2 emissions is better than using less gasoline or less CO2 emissions. Which is why the Prius is one of the top 5 cars traded in for the Model 3 costing twice as much.

Which is also why Toyota is racing to get their solid state batteries ready for their replacements for the hybrid Prius models. The hydrogen interim step is just there to show they are doing something, but it really has no future for consumer vehicles, when power from the sun can be free and forever.

Good - Hybrid
Better - PHEV
Best - EV

post #184 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:56 AM
FIN Staff Member

"My team and I are both proud of and energized by the companyís $11 billion investment to bring 16 fully electric vehicles within a global portfolio of 40 electrified vehicles through 2022"

So far we have the Deutsche Post StreetScooter Work XL electric van that launched this year, using the Transit chassis for Europe that launched this month.

https://www.greenfleetmagazine.com/3...ry-van-for-dhl
wingsnut likes this.
post #185 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Ford's cadence of electrification seems appropriately timed and not overly conservative, as some may believe.
They will leverage many years of gathered data and expertise in everything from full EV to hybrid, which few can claim BTW. So in the next year we will learn of Ford's huge hybridization strategy on most products, which is huge in itself, and then the year after, Mach I will be in the news and leading the 'charge' for it's new BEV range of products. Ford is wise to provide both, obviously at great cost at first, while offering customers the choice. Consumer preference will dictate where Ford focuses it's future.

Sounds like a solid plan to me.
post #186 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:07 PM
FIN Staff Member

I wonder how much the plug-in premium will be over the standard ICE model of Expedition/Navigator, Explorer/Aviator, Edge/Nautilus and Escape/Corsir(?). In the early days of Fusion Energi, the premium was about $8k and that was with a small 21 mile battery pack. These new models need to offer at least 31 miles of range to get any incentives from China and in Europe. I hope they offer at least 50+ miles of range so consumers can get a full days driving out of one charge, without having to think about plugging in at each destination. Which can help justify paying the $8 - $10k premium.

BTW....discontinued Fusion Energi Titanium is now the same starting price as the ICE Fusion Titanium at $34K. About the same price as the 210 mile Model 3(with glass roof, Autopilot, etc) that starts production later this year. Has Ford said anything about what they are replacing the Fusion with? The midsize SUV is the Edge.
post #187 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:09 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover

I dont want more announcements, I want (and I think the investors want it too) to see something. A concept, a preview vehicle (like the Aviator). Something tangible that shows that Ford is working on EVs. Until then, everything remains in words and promises.

And about the cadence of the launch of the new vehicles, the impression I have is that Ford gave all his workers vacation for a year or two in the past 2 or 3 years, because there is a very long lapse of time in which no new vehicle reaches the market. The last new vehicle in the USA is the Expedition / Navigator launched almost a year ago. In Europe, the Focus launched at the beginning of this year. Compare with other manufacturers, including those in the premium category such as Mercedes-Benz or Audi, which have launched at least 2 or 3 completly new vehicles this year and many more are on the way. Sometimes we criticize the investors because they do not give a good rating to the shares in Ford's stock exchange, but seeing this situation, where nothing is "seen" in particular, skepticism is perfectly understandable.
joseodiaga4, glyphics and Bloggin like this.

post #188 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:43 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
I dont want more announcements, I want (and I think the investors want it too) to see something. A concept, a preview vehicle (like the Aviator). Something tangible that shows that Ford is working on EVs. Until then, everything remains in words and promises.

And about the cadence of the launch of the new vehicles, the impression I have is that Ford gave all his workers vacation for a year or two in the past 2 or 3 years, because there is a very long lapse of time in which no new vehicle reaches the market. The last new vehicle in the USA is the Expedition / Navigator launched almost a year ago. In Europe, the Focus launched at the beginning of this year. Compare with other manufacturers, including those in the premium category such as Mercedes-Benz or Audi, which have launched at least 2 or 3 completly new vehicles this year and many more are on the way. Sometimes we criticize the investors because they do not give a good rating to the shares in Ford's stock exchange, but seeing this situation, where nothing is "seen" in particular, skepticism is perfectly understandable.
I really don't understand the crazy 'lets run around in circles, the roof is on fire' talk. If this were after the show season, and they still didn't show anything, SURE, grab the pitchforks.....but COME ON.....we haven't even gotten to the shows yet, and you're complaining that they've not shown anything?

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page