Introducing Team Edison - Page 9 - Ford Inside News Community
 137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Re: Introducing Team Edison

A menu to turn on wipers???
One of the first things I do when I drive off in the morning, is clear my windshield of morning mist, dust, snow, and of course rain. So in a Tesla 3, I would have to go through a menu?

Yikes.

Unless Musk is so high tech, they have sensors to detect all the above, customers are going to hate that and Tesla will learn something Ford has already learned, that customers or people, prefer dedicated buttons for basic functions.

I am sure there are other annoyances that Tesla missed, in their effort to cheapen the car.
falcon lover likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 05:07 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

fwiw...and to bump this thread

Ford Partners With Silicon Valley Startup Autonomic For Mobility Software
FordAuthority
ó Aaron Brzozowski ó Oct 12, 2017

Fordís transition into and automotive and mobility company, still in its infancy, has already produced a great number of partnerships with other firms. The latest, announced during Fordís strategic update conference with investors last week, is with a 15-month-old Silicon Valley startup called ďAutonomic Inc.Ē

Autonomic provides a software platform for mobility apps and services, saving Ford the effort of having to develop entirely from scratch. According to Reuters, one of Fordís first services built on the Autonomic platform Non-Emergency Medical Transport, launched this past summer by Ford and Michiganís Beaumont Hospital. It allows patients to schedule appointments and pickup times from a mobile app, helping them receive non-emergency medical treatment where transportation might otherwise be an issue.

Down the line, should Ford Motor Company choose to launch its own ride-hailing or fleet management services, Autonomicís platform could take care of customer identification, digital payments, and managing data between the vehicle and the customerís mobile app, Reuters reports.

Fordís big, central mobile app for mobility services Ė FordPass Ė launched last year, giving commuters access to things like pay-in-advance parking and Chariot shuttle rides. Itís unclear if that will be replaced, rebranded, or redesigned on the Autonomic platform in the future.

more Links @ site
Bloggin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:21 PM
FIN Staff Member

It looks like VW is planning to keep their winning streak going in China...

"From 2018 to 2020, the Volkswagen brand will introduce five additional EVs and six plug-in hybrids in China."

Notice how VW is clear about EV as opposed to plug-in hybrids. No need for deception when you actually plan to launch the products.

Ford....are you paying attention?

post #84 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Has anyone added up how many BEV's are being announced thus far, by 2020 or so for NA? That is only a bit more than 2 years away. I don't expect many changes in the product, range and price, which means we can expect very little consumer interest here. Today it is still under 1% of sales in NA.

This is why I think Ford's expanded hybrid plan will be an excellent stepping stone in the interim, as they expand EV at a rate proportional to demand here. HEV's are low too, around 2%, but I think the major reason is the boring choices.

So I think a hybrid F-150, getting well over 30mpg, and a Mustang, getting well over 40 mpg and both with V8 performance and capability, will be much better sellers, because they are not boring products like a C-Max or Prius. Especially if they come in near base MSRP.

Not sure yet how many BEV's Ford needs after 2020, as long as they are ready to move fast if they need more. Unlike developing ICE cars, there is very little testing needed. No dyno and emission work. A fraction of the calibration. And of course, development is quick, and certainly relatively easy.

I think Ford will make good moves, albeit a bit conservative, but what worries me is the job loss pending. It's coming.

Last edited by wingsnut; 10-12-2017 at 09:33 PM.
post #85 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Ford Kuga

Unless fuel prices go up, there is no need for a Hybrid transition era, we can go straight to EVs which is the market's preference anyway. It's really only necessary for companies like Ford which will have a much harder time selling to EV customers so they have to use their existing fleets to sneak them in. I look forward to the Mustang hybrid to see what the story is what that, but presumably it's the same system going into the F-Series. A hybrid system geared toward performance is something Ford has never attempted.

Last edited by Assimilator; 10-12-2017 at 09:42 PM.
post #86 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Ford has plenty of experience making and selling many types of hybrids.
Not exactly rocket science to have a bit more ICE output, and call it performance.

In about 2 years Ford will launch their light duty and then medium duty trucks as hybrids. They will have quite the leg-up on everyone in terms of efficiency combined with capability. And they will actually be affordable.

Nobody is rushing a BEV truck to market that is F series capable any time soon, because it can't be done anywhere near a price that people can afford.

I think Mustang HEV will surprise many as well. over 40mpg and V8 performance with sexy looks......yeah, hybrids are going nowhere fast. People have to stop kidding themselves.

Last edited by wingsnut; 10-12-2017 at 10:52 PM.
post #87 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Ford has plenty of experience making and selling many types of hybrids.
Not exactly rocket science to have a bit more ICE output, and call it performance.

In about 2 years Ford will launch their light duty and then medium duty trucks as hybrids. They will have quite the leg-up on everyone in terms of efficiency combined with capability. And they will actually be affordable.

Nobody is rushing a truck to market that is F series capable any time soon, because it can't be done anywhere near a price that people can afford.

I think Mustang will surprise many as well. over 40mpg and V8 performance with sexy looks......yeah, hybrids are going nowhere fast. People have to stop kidding themselves.
Considering GM's success recently I think we can expect an impressive showing with their new 2019 trucks, including a hybrid.
post #88 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

think this will probably sounds schizophrenic (...hey)
but
imho, it just sounds like Not making EVs for EV-lovers yet making EVs for people who doN'T want one
& while I applaud/rant for electrifried STARstangs, All Awd;
think an "eMu...stang" might be as popular as kale-at-the-bottom yogurt

post #89 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Considering GM's success recently I think we can expect an impressive showing with their new 2019 trucks, including a hybrid.
Yeah, GM rocks!!!

and yet, just a couple of posts above this you said;

"...there is no need for a Hybrid transition era, we can go straight to EVs which is the market's preference anyway. It's really only necessary for companies like Ford which will have a much harder time selling to EV....blah blah blah"

Last edited by wingsnut; 10-12-2017 at 11:06 PM.
post #90 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 01:23 AM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Has anyone added up how many BEV's are being announced thus far, by 2020 or so for NA? That is only a bit more than 2 years away. I don't expect many changes in the product, range, and price, which means we can expect very little consumer interest here. Today it is still under 1% of sales in NA.

We will have 1, 2 or more 200+ mile EVs from just about every auto manufacturer by 2020. We are talking BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi, VW, Nissan, Honda, GM, Toyota, Hyundai, Tesla(Model Y), Ford, Lexus...no word on Lincoln. The choices are getting so much better and not it becomes more difficult to decide what to buy.

So there will be many new models, lots of price variance for the different segments so big changes are coming quickly. Model 3 deliveries alone should be about 300k total by 2020.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page