Introducing Team Edison - Ford Inside News Community
 137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Introducing Team Edison

Since becoming CEO four months ago, Iíve often been asked about our vision for electrified vehicles.

As we move into a future of smart vehicles in a smart world, a large piece of that strategy will be the electrification of our products. Global trends are demanding this, and it also aligns with our company goals.

Earlier this year, we laid out plans to invest $4.5 billion by 2020 in electrified vehicles. Today, Iím pleased to announce we are taking an important step toward advancing our winning plan through the creation of a new, dedicated global electric vehicle organization called ďTeam Edison.Ē The name of course harkens back to Thomas Edison, who collaborated with Henry Ford on some of the first electric vehicle concepts more than a century ago.

Team Edison will be led by Ted Cannis under the direction of Sherif Marakby, Fordís vice president of electrified and autonomous vehicles. Darren Palmer will lead EV product development, and Mark Kaufmann will head up marketing. Team Edison will focus on BEVs and will include members from other functions in the company.. Bill Ford and I have challenged Team Edison to think big and move fast to deliver vehicles and experiences that are uniquely Ford and human centric in the design.

At Ford, our strategic approach is to leverage our unique product strengths and acute understanding of our customers to design vehicles they love and help make their lives better. This vision encompasses the full spectrum of electrified vehicles -- hybrids, plug-in hybrids and pure battery-electric vehicles.

While hybrids are becoming more commonplace, we believe pure battery electric vehicle will have the greatest impact on our industry and our world. This will open the door to new ways of thinking from vehicle design and assembly, to customer services to software. We must imagine new possibilities of where to play and how to win.

With lower operating costs and compelling attributes, electric vehicles will fit perfectly with many peopleís lifestyles. Battery range and charging speeds have progressed and will continue to improve. Itís imperative we take advantage of this moment in time to expand our portfolio.

The team includes talent from all disciplines working to deliver strategies and plans for the present as well as the near and far-reaching future:

Team Edison will focus primarily on:

∑ Rapidly designing and implementing new holistic, customer-focused BEVs, services and ownership experiences

∑ Improving revenue through choices of nameplates and thorough understanding of customer trends and segmentation by market

∑ Providing unique battery electric vehicle features and services, including over-the-air upgrades, charging, and customer experiences

∑ Reducing cost through a focused strategy and new business models, scale, commonality of systems and partnerships.

I know I can count on all of you to give Team Edison your full support as we move into the future with new purpose and ambition.

Sincerely,

Jim
2b2, hbmf3, joseodiaga4 and 2 others like this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Introducing Team Edison

Thank you for sharing that with us, Wings.
2b2 likes this.

post #3 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

A Model E sold under the Team Edison brand, is starting to make a lot of sense.
2b2 and hbmf3 like this.

"kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court, Avenatti is in jail, Stormy has to pay Trump's legal fees, and there is no collusion. What a great country."

post #4 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
A Model E sold under the Team Edison brand, is starting to make a lot of sense.
I don't think this is a separate brand?
SP1966 likes this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #5 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 01:18 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ define "brand"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 01:29 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
^ define "brand"
Any meaning of the word brand. I hightly doubt "Team Edison" will make it anywhere near the vehicle as far as badging or branding goes......it's just a name for the group that will work on developing Ford's EV tech.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #7 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
I don't think this is a separate brand?
Well it’s the group or team of people behind it. But yeah, it would probably have a different name. Assuming new brand as well. I think that would be best anyway.

post #8 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 03:51 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Any meaning of the word brand. I hightly doubt "Team Edison" will make it anywhere near the vehicle as far as badging or branding goes......it's just a name for the group that will work on developing Ford's EV tech.
I just wanted to raise the idea (if not nec. include it) that in some contexts,
things like the "F-Series" or even "EcoBoost" can be called 'brands'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Well it’s the group or team of people behind it. But yeah, it would probably have a different name. Assuming new brand as well. I think that would be best anyway.
Curious why you think a new brand would be best? Ford has a history of walking away from product names in the hopes a simple name change will disinfect the brand itself. Unless you believe the Ford brand is tarnished I fail to see how launching an all new brand benefits Ford Motor Company more than moving the Ford brand into the future itself.

As for the "Team Edison" naming, I think it's clearly meant to draw comparison to the competition that existed between Edison and Tesla in their heyday, and point clearly to whom they're in fact focused on! I approve!
falcon lover, 2b2 and glyphics like this.
post #10 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
Curious why you think a new brand would be best? Ford has a history of walking away from product names in the hopes a simple name change will disinfect the brand itself. Unless you believe the Ford brand is tarnished I fail to see how launching an all new brand benefits Ford Motor Company more than moving the Ford brand into the future itself.

As for the "Team Edison" naming, I think it's clearly meant to draw comparison to the competition that existed between Edison and Tesla in their heyday, and point clearly to whom they're in fact focused on! I approve!
Certainly if there is a merger, a new name makes sense. Is that not what they are doing in China? A JV with a Chineese auto company? China is leading the way in EV, already with 40% of the global market of EV sales.

And the reason I think it would make sense even without a JV, is because an EV is so vastly different than today's product, which would work to their advantage in terms of Millennial's and their perception of the brand, as well as Wall Street.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page