2019 Transit Connect + Diesel Revealed - Ford Inside News Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

2019 Transit Connect + Diesel Revealed

Although previously revealed, Ford has announced that the 2019 Transit Connect is coming to the US with their new 1.5L Diesel and non-boosted 2.0L I4 with an 8-Speed ATX. Although it's still a utility, this is a big step forward for Diesel at Ford in the US even if it's a fairly wimpy Diesel. I wonder if the new Focus will offer a Diesel.

This is also the 3rd Ford (after 2019 Edge and Ranger) to get standard automatic emergency braking.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/08/...d-a-new-gas-e/
falcon lover likes this.

Last edited by Assimilator; 02-08-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: 2019 Transit Connect + Diesel Revealed

Nice van. And now with some good drive assistance features. The automatic emergency brake system will be standard across all the industry soon.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Ford Focus

I love it.

I wish this vehicle was available as a hybrid though.

The new diesel will be impressive addition and further sets the vehicle apart from the competition.

The 2.0 is an interesting choice and solidifies it as the value engine for ford Transverse vehicles. Nice addition of start stop. Kinda wish we would know more about the transmission plant in Mexico.

I am in the market for a premium compact car with an Independent Rear suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 09:22 PM
FIN Staff Member

Interesting......Ford is finally bringing dirty diesel to a compact pick-up 5 years late with updates for transit for 2019, when the industry is racing toward zero emissions full electric for light duty vehicles.

Also, why is Ford not talking about the PHEV Transit they are testing in Europe, or updates on the wireless charging testing??

With the hit Ford is taking for not moving fast enough with electrification, the 2019 Transit updates still don't have electrification, not even hybrid. But, is it really Ford being slow with embracing the future of transportation, or is it Ford placating the dealerships who depend on service revenue that quickly dries up with EVs.

Unfortunately the outcome of that will be a 114 year old company that looks 114 years old.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Diesel has some positive aspects in terms of environmental protection since it doesn't release as much carbon, but it's certainly far more harmful to lifeforms even if it's relatively localized/temporary.

It's likely the Diesel is an ideal solution for fleet customers so you may not see the engine used in the Transit Wagon. Unfortunately Ford is also extraordinarily late when it comes to modernizing its Diesel engines and it's arriving at a time when they are being banned...bad timing all around so at least they'll have something in the final years of the technology. I don't think we'll see anymore retail diesel products from Ford. This was likely a convergence of circumstances since the Transit Wagon is imported from a Diesel market and the customer in the US is primarily fleet. Ford probably sells well under 1,000 Transit Wagons a month so it's really interesting to me that they are still pushing that customer when it's such a tiny low profit niche. Ford was originally going to use the Grand C-Max to serve those customer but cancelled those plans. They even had a big auto show debut and showcase in 2011.

Last edited by Assimilator; 02-10-2018 at 09:59 PM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
Diesel has some positive aspects in terms of environmental protection since it doesn't release as much carbon, but it's certainly far more harmful to lifeforms even if it's relatively localized/temporary.

It's likely the Diesel is an ideal solution for fleet customers so you may not see the engine used in the Transit Wagon. Unfortunately Ford is also extraordinarily late when it comes to modernizing its Diesel engines and it's arriving at a time when they are being banned...bad timing all around so at least they'll have something in the final years of the technology. I don't think we'll see anymore retail diesel products from Ford. This was likely a convergence of circumstances since the Transit Wagon is imported from a Diesel market and the customer in the US is primarily fleet. Ford probably sells well under 1,000 Transit Wagons a month so it's really interesting to me that they are still pushing that customer when it's such a tiny low profit niche. Ford was originally going to use the Grand C-Max to serve those customer but cancelled those plans. They even had a big auto show debut and showcase in 2011.
I think that the diesels in Europe are fine, don't forget about the 3.2 TDI in the big transit, are fine. the real problem as was mentioned earlier is the lack of investment in hybrids and electrification.

The Current HEV powerpack should have been updated and spread to other models, both to improve competitiveness and lower the unit cost for the HEV platform.

there was a Transit connect hybrid prototype that debuted last January.
http://www.hybridcars.com/ford-trans...ut-in-detroit/

but alas we have nothing.
2b2 and Assimilator like this.

I am in the market for a premium compact car with an Independent Rear suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

I was there and don't even remember the Hybrid Transit Connect. Ford is stepping back from electrification for the time being, presumably to shift the investment forward instead of investing further into their aging and inefficient hybrid systems which they can't sell anyway.

Last edited by Assimilator; 02-11-2018 at 07:05 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Ford Explorer

Diesel has it's place and Ford has plenty of experience delivering world class Diesels. And Ford is preparing a plethora of new hybrid systems, so, no.....they should NOT have retrofitted old systems in for the interim. Also, the belief that Ford should go all in on BEV is getting old.
Logans Run, biker16 and HotRod like this.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 AM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
I was there and don't even remember the Hybrid Transit Connect. Ford is stepping back from electrification for the time being, presumably to shift the investment forward instead of investing further into their aging and inefficient hybrid systems which they can't sell anyway.
Aging because of lack of investment.

inefficient because of poor planning and lack of investment.

Can't sell because of poor planning and lack of investment.

These problems are years in the making, Ford can't complain about the result when Ford did nothing to change that result.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Diesel has it's place and Ford has plenty of experience delivering world-class Diesels. And Ford is preparing a plethora of new hybrid systems, so, no.....they should NOT have retrofitted old systems in for the interim. Also, the belief that Ford should go all in on BEV is getting old.
The diesel should deliver Real world efficiency for a high profile vehicles like the Transit Connect. I own one and the impact of Speed on fuel economy is crazy. Gassers don't like high loads at high throttle positions, Diesels do.

There is no evidence Ford is working on all-new or upgraded hybrid systems, they are not that good at hiding. the only we should expect is ford to be cheap and spend as little as possible to charge the highest price they can.

The idea of an affordable 300 mile BEV SUV is a joke and simply shows how large the gap is between their engineering and their marketing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page