Ford March 2018 Sales Up 3.4% Overall; Lincoln Down 2.1% - Page 3 - Ford Inside News Community
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:39 AM
Ford Kuga

Re: Ford March 2018 Sales Up 3.4% Overall; Lincoln Down 2.1%

There is a tremendous amount of volume in the segment and it's growing, but Ford is simply not well positioned to take full advantage profitably. I'm actually still shocked they are doing the EcoSport in the US but I understand their situation is a bit desperate at this point so they can't really wait around for 2+ more years as their car sales dwindle. Ford is also about to go through a massive car culling with the discontinuation of Focus, Fiesta, C-Max, Taurus, and Flex so they simply need products and customers before Wallstreet has another heart-attack. I know Ford would rather not be in these segments at all and focus on Escape and up.

I think eventually we'll have a Ford with some better entries like the Maverick in particular which is going to be based on a revised and beefed up NG Fiesta (the one we didn't get). I'm not sure EcoSport is ever going to be suitable to the US so hopefully it's just a temporary vehicle and will be gone by 2022.

Last edited by Assimilator; 04-04-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
It's only the EcoSport's second full month of sales in the U.S. Even the Trax had to start from somewhere some 3+ years ago with sub-4k sales numbers.

--------------------------------------------------------------

When compared to the Trax, a direct rival, the interior space is actually similar. In fact the shorter EcoSport has more legroom and a bigger cargo area than the Trax.

2018 EcoSport
Headroom front: 39.6 in
Headroom rear: 37.5 in
Legroom front: 42.9 in
Legroom rear: 36.7 in
Shoulder room front: 53.3 in
Shoulder room rear: 51.3 in
Cargo Volume to Front Seat: 50 cu ft
Cargo Volume to Rear Seat: 20.9 cu ft

2017 Trax
Headroom front: 39.6 in
Headroom rear: 38.8 in
Legroom front: 40.8 in
Legroom rear: 35.7 in
Shoulder room front: 54.1 in
Shoulder room rear: 52.8 in
Cargo Volume to Front Seat: 48.4 cu ft
Cargo Volume to Rear Seat: 18.7 cu ft

Better packaging gives the EcoSport a decent size interior despite having the shortest overall length. Most of the Trax's added length is on its nose.

*Its larger competitors (price-wise) like the HR-V and C-HR sit so low, you might as well get a Focus hatchback.
Both not very appealing to me. The GM platform even less so.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

The front overhang on the Trax looks a lot worse than the EcoSports
Logans Run and AM222 like this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:44 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

I've never bothered to look at a Trax & the Buick was instantly forgettable & I confused the Eekospoort with the Escape...

...think for me, this is one of those times that differences Only register with me in pix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 04-04-2018 at 01:51 PM.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDandSafety View Post
Right on point! On Edit: Not sure where Ford gets their rear leg room numbers from. Rear seat legroom on the Ecosport is PATHETIC at best.
I sat in an EcoSport at the auto show last weekend. It wasn't a limo, but I was able to fit ok in the back seat, and I'm 6'0".
2b2 and AM222 like this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:53 PM
Ford Kuga

The EcoSport is actually pretty comfortable in the front seat for me and I'm really tall, I managed to squeeze in the backseat as well. It's certainly far more comfortable than a Focus which is knee-banging awful to get in and out of (Fiesta is actually better than Focus). The issue that stands out to me is forward visibility because of the huge A-Pillars squeezing the forward view. I think the only thing that strikes me as odd about the EcoSport is how narrow the interior feels, it's the type of car you bump elbows in. The other cars in this segment are noticeably wider so they don't feel so unusual.

The EcoSport is smartly packaged for what it is but it gives up things like larger 20" 5-lug SUV type wheels for really small economy car 4 lug wheels which means they can retain the small wheel arches and suspension of the Fiesta. It's a car that is more subcompact that most in this segment which are more heavily revised from their B-Car roots. It's smart in many ways because it means they can put much less resources into the vehicle's development and manufacturing costs while adding perceived value through amenities which have a higher appreciate rate by customers than intangibles underpinning the vehicle. That helps to keep margins up on a low profit segment.

Last edited by Assimilator; 04-04-2018 at 02:03 PM.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:27 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
The EcoSport is actually pretty comfortable in the front seat for me and I'm really tall, I managed to squeeze in the backseat as well. It's certainly far more comfortable than a Focus which is knee-banging awful to get in and out of (Fiesta is actually better than Focus)...
Agree &
(inside-elsewhere joke) I was 'derided' for saying that before

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
The EcoSport is smartly packaged for what it is but it gives up things like larger 20" 5-lug SUV type wheels for really small economy car 4 lug wheels which means they can retain the small wheel arches and suspension of the Fiesta. It's a car that is more subcompact that most in this segment which are more heavily revised from their B-Car roots. It's smart in many ways because it means they can put much less resources into the vehicle's development and manufacturing costs while adding perceived value through amenities which have a higher appreciate rate by customers than intangibles underpinning the vehicle. That helps to keep margins up on a low profit segment.
It may have 4-lugs but this is far more capable than most other B-segment SUVs/CUVs.
Others go for looks, while Ford actually developed the EcoSport to be tough despite being a sub-compact unibody crossover SUV.

In the US it's marketed as a tall trendy alternative to a small hatchback car, in other markets they also highlight its capabilities.

-autoevolution.com

Knowing what the EcoSport was developed to handle made me like it more. I've test driven the pre-facelift model, i'm sure the new 2018 model drives/handles even better (suspension tweaks and updated engine-transmission options).
2b2 and Bloggin like this.

Last edited by AM222; 04-04-2018 at 06:52 PM.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Uh? They can't even produce 10K in a month. How would sales be 10K for April?
Production is now at just over 2k per week for the end of March, and this is just counting models with all complete paperwork for delivery. 10k for April is doable with production ramping up to 5k per week by the end of June.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
https://www.leftlanenews.com/tesla-m...ek-100225.html

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/02/...-drive-review/

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/02/...review-issues/

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/02/...-drive-review/

You are overestimating the Model 3 and Tesla:

-The tipical Model 3 doesn`t cost 35000, cost 60000$
-The production of the Model 3 is reaching now 2000 units per week and the entire Tesla line is reaching 4000 units per week.
- The quality problems of Model 3 continue... the exterior assembly and the interior quality of this model is far from the quality and excellent experience of today`s Lincoln.
- Profits? Profits on Model 3? You have a broad imagination, Bloggin.
-The Autopilot is a big fiasco. Is a disaster. It is , even , dangerous. Here a paragraf from the article:" This is not a self-driving vehicle. Far from it. It seems a misleading — or even dangerous — to call it a semi-autonomous system considering the vague amount of automation such a descriptor provides. Even so-called self-driving cars with safety drivers behind the wheel as backup have proven to fail tragically, as we saw with Uber in Tempe. Being lulled into a sense that the car can drive you is a looming catastrophe until the technology has being sufficiently tested, proven and publicly deployed. Even Tesla's owner's manual calls Autopilot a "beta" system, essentially making owners guinea pigs in a rolling laboratory."
-The experience in a Tesla Model 3 is far from pleasant. The unique big screen to control everything is not a luxury experience. Is very difficult to live with it. Here a comment from one of the articles: "A joy to drive, a pain to use "
Lincoln doesn`t need and shouldn`t follow Tesla . Porsche doesn`t either... https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/po...ark-mission-e/

Wow...now that took some effort to dig up just about every negative comment written in the media about Tesla or the Model 3.

But today stock is up $19.41, Model 3 is on track for 5k per week(260,000 annually) by end of June, and we should see the Model Y by end of year. Paid reservations for Model 3 are still holding just abut 500k.

And there is a new Model S coming..... But the current model is still outselling all other luxury sedans $75k and up.

Beautiful.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page