Fusion/Fiesta/Taurus Officially Cancelled - Page 10 - Ford Inside News Community
 522Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Ford Falcon

Re: Fusion/Fiesta/Taurus Officially Cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhogie View Post
Ford should at least replace the Fusion and Taurus with a sedan built between the two in size. I was saving for a new Taurus down the road. I drive a 2014 Taurus SE and I love the ride. Ford is shooting itself in the foot. Ten years ago, Ford police sedans had the market share by a large margin. Police loved rear wheel drive. Out comes the Taurus version of police sedan. Poof! Market share dropped off. Hint! Go back to the drawing board. Currently the Taurus has had the same look since 2010. But yet in China, A new Taurus is introduced. What is wrong with this picture?! The Fusion hasn't changed since 2013. Ford management needs house cleaning at the top. I have nothing against SUV's, I just don't want one. The foreign auto makers are probably laughing to the bank. I'm a Ford person and I find this too extreme.
Uh? They bought Explorers instead.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:50 PM
Ford Explorer

Just got done listening carefully to every word that Hackett, Hinrichs, Farley, Shanks and Klavorn shared in the 1stQ Town Hall discussion with employees, especially the questions about the recent announcement with cars. Here are some takeaways which they claimed:

“We (Ford) are not getting out of the car business, but we are instead accelerating the vehicle business.”

So if there is any vagueness I am accused of, it comes from the top down. I have heard this before and I still don't know what to think.

They also mentioned “cars will not be brought to market in the traditional sense.”

Once again, zilch in terms of a detailed plan. Literally a year into Hackett's leadership, and we know very little.

So take from that what you want, but I conclude that they are basically clean sheeting many aspects of the business, which includes Deep Sixing old processes and products, and that of course is a long term approach. Ugh.
2b2, Alfer33 and HotRod like this.
post #93 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Farley talked about playing with the 'Shilouette' of a vehicle to reach more customers instead of being locked down to the traditional 3-box sedan. Meaning that there is far more flexibility in Crossovers than we currently see and Ford has some ideas on where they are going with it. The Mach1 might be that type of utility. Essentially, Ford wants to kill off the rigid sedan formulas and segments so they can bring in new ideas and customers that aren't looking for the cheapest bargain.

Last edited by Assimilator; 04-26-2018 at 02:47 PM.

post #94 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:58 PM
Focus RS WRC

If that's the case, again, concept!
2b2 likes this.
post #95 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Just got done listening carefully to every word that Hackett, Hinrichs, Farley, Shanks and Klavorn shared in the 1stQ Town Hall discussion with employees, especially the questions about the recent announcement with cars. Here are some takeaways which they claimed:

“We (Ford) are not getting out of the car business, but we are instead accelerating the vehicle business.”

So if there is any vagueness I am accused of, it comes from the top down. I have heard this before and I still don't know what to think.

They also mentioned “cars will not be brought to market in the traditional sense.”

Once again, zilch in terms of a detailed plan. Literally a year into Hackett's leadership, and we know very little.

So take from that what you want, but I conclude that they are basically clean sheeting many aspects of the business, which includes Deep Sixing old processes and products, and that of course is a long term approach. Ugh.
They did tell us the products coming for the next two years...

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #96 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:13 PM
Ford Focus

Ford can only afford to give up on cars because of American protectionism

Quote:
What’s more interesting is why trucks and SUVs are so vital to US automakers—and what that implies about Detroit’s competitiveness.
The Chicken Tax—the 25% tariff that president Lyndon Baines Johnson passed in 1963—was initially aimed at blocking a popular German export, Volkswagen’s iconic van (which may or may not be the Mystery Machine of Scooby-Doo fame).
It wasn’t supposed to be permanent. But it gave Detroit a competitive edge over foreign companies in producing trucks and vans. (By comparison, the US only charges a 2.5% import duty on regular foreign cars.) So the tariff stuck around.

Quote:
There’s a solid argument to be made that protectionism can help economies, nurturing domestic industries until they develop the capacity, technology, and know-how to compete globally. (US founding father Alexander Hamilton was one prominent champion of this idea.)

But that’s not what’s going on with the Chicken Tax. The cushy US truck oligopoly is an accident of 1960s diplomacy. It hasn’t helped Detroit thrive globally. Instead, it’s induced a default reliance on gas-guzzlers among the Big Three carmakers (Ford, GM, and Chrysler). That’s allowed their foreign competitors to dominate the fuel-efficient passenger car market.
The pitfalls of the Chicken Tax became alarmingly apparent in 2009. When oil prices spiked in the mid-2000s, demand for big trucks plummeted. To stay afloat, GM and Chrysler received high-profile taxpayer bailouts. (Ford also requested government funding.)
With yesterday’s announcement, Ford drives home the economic legacy of the Chicken Tax. The profits of pickup protectionism are allowing Ford to cede the market for small, fuel-efficient cars to foreign rivals. That might be a sound strategy while gas prices stay low, buoying truck demand. But there are signs that those prices are ticking up again.
2b2 likes this.

I am in the market for a premium compact car with an Independent Rear suspension.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:36 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
So who is missing Fields right about now?
I have NO use for ANY suit -not any more- No heros that I don't know Personally EITHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
I think we give too much credit/blame to the man in charge at the moment.
I doubt any major decision is made without the Ford family stamp of approval..

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhogie View Post
...Ford is shooting itself in the foot...
...Ford management needs house cleaning at the top...
...I'm a Ford person and I find this too extreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanatWork View Post
OK, after obsessively combing auto news sites about this mess, I've discerned the following:
3. Reading between the lines, the "white" vehicles, largely undefined at this point, seem to suggest some flexibility with Ford regarding upcoming trends. If sedans are sorely missed, I think there's the ability to respond with more speed than we're used to...
s
Quote:
Just got done listening carefully to every word that Hackett, Hinrichs, Farley, Shanks and Klavorn shared in the 1stQ Town Hall discussion with employees, especially the questions about the recent announcement with cars. Here are some takeaways which they claimed:...
...So if there is any vagueness I am accused of, it comes from the top down. I have heard this before and I still don't know what to think...
...Once again, zilch in terms of a detailed plan. Literally a year into Hackett's leadership, and we know very little...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar Mazumdar View Post
If that's the case, again, concept!
&

'SHOOTING THEIR FOOT' with extreme, incendiary, IN-ACCURATE clickbait <- imho
which
unfortunately it's sorta-working ... so far

Now for '''walking it back'''
-- “We (Ford) are not getting out of the car business, but we are instead accelerating the vehicle business.”
-- They also mentioned “cars will not be brought to market in the traditional sense.”

getting to want all "execs" to "get lost"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F plus 1.jpg (43.1 KB, 55 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 04-26-2018 at 03:42 PM.
post #98 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:42 PM
Ford Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Yes, and there seemed to be many! There will also be hybrids, hybrid plug-ins, and plug-ins.
There will also be new variations of the Mustang and likely Ranger variations introduced as well.
The sky is not falling...The future of Ford looks to be safe.
wingsnut and HotRod like this.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Sherlock Holmes
post #99 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:47 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ ->
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post

Last edited by 2b2; 04-26-2018 at 03:50 PM.
post #100 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:48 PM
Focus RS WRC

Glad to see the move. Makes me think Ford has some vision after all. No one will be buying Fiestas in the age of BEV. The efficiency of BEVs is so great, the impetus to buy smaller to save some green just isn't there. I think the small car dies off except for in cramped urban areas where parking and storage are keys issues, like the kei cars in Japan. Otherwise, it will be one skateboard with a few different top-hats. Interior/exterior styling will be more important.

Focusing on the area where BEVs still have a way to go, med-large SUVs and trucks, allows Ford to still turn a profit while the BEVs come on line. Then, when battery tech improves to where suvs/trucks would be able to make use of BEV tech, Ford can transition the last of the big dogs over.

Seems rational and reasonable. Also, V8 enthusiasts probably won't care that they're getting smoked by a BEV sportscar, they will still want the romance of the ICE, so Mustang will still have its adherents.
Logans Run likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page