Fusion/Fiesta/Taurus Officially Cancelled - Page 21 - Ford Inside News Community
 522Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 05:13 PM
Focus RS WRC

Re: Fusion/Fiesta/Taurus Officially Cancelled

@2b2 I thought that was a real like button
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Focus RS

I guess that I will be forced to buy my next car a little head of schedule. Since the Taurus is scheduled to go out next March, I'll have to shop for a Taurus after the first of the year.
post #203 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhogie View Post
I guess that I will be forced to buy my next car a little head of schedule. Since the Taurus is scheduled to go out next March, I'll have to shop for a Taurus after the first of the year.
At least you'll probably get a good deal?
djhogie likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #204 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 07:40 PM
FIN Staff Member

VW Will Continue Making Sedans, But Most Will be Electric

"Volkswagen, in an interview with Digital Trends, said that while SUVs will undoubtedly become more of a focal point within the lineup in the next few years, the company isn’t be giving up on small cars and sedans just yet. And there’s a very important reason as to why: EVs.

Volkswagen of America boss, Hinrich Woebcken, said that “when you’re talking about electric cars, sedans have more advantages. The shape and the [drag coefficient] has a high effect on range. Therefore, we’ll maybe see a higher sedan share on full electric cars than with conventional cars.”"
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by Bloggin; 04-28-2018 at 07:50 PM.
post #205 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 07:43 PM
FIN Staff Member

^....I think this is what Joe Hinrichs of Ford of Americas meant to say, but it came out all wrong.

Funny how their names are similar...
2b2 likes this.

Last edited by Bloggin; 04-28-2018 at 07:50 PM.
post #206 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 07:54 PM
FIN Staff Member

We might want to listen to what VW has to day, because they are the company that plan on being the EV leader worldwide.
post #207 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Ford Focus

The more I think about it this decision has less to do with Ford not having the money to build next gen Fusion or Focus, The ROW is getting both. It’s because Ford has always and still is factory constrained. We should’ve known this was going to happen when the focus factory was canned and they decided to move it to China and since the current admin is going into a trade war with both China and Mexico it’s leaving Ford’s hands tied on a place to build it’s cars.
biker16 likes this.
post #208 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
We might want to listen to what VW has to day, because they are the company that plan on being the EV leader worldwide.
They are also the company that once cockily proclaimed to the world they'd sell 800,000 cars a year in the U.S. by 2018. 2017 sales totaled just under 340k units, and they're on pace to repeat that in 2018. This is not a company with their hand on the pulse of the American car market. In fact, if it weren't for the EPA's mandate to invest in EV's as a punishment for Dieselgate, I promise you they wouldn't be looking like a pioneer in that segment, either.
2b2 and ZanatWork like this.

Rod

2017 MKX 2.7T Black Label
2017 GLC300
2016 GTI
post #209 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLS View Post
The more I think about it this decision has less to do with Ford not having the money to build next gen Fusion or Focus, The ROW is getting both. It’s because Ford has always and still is factory constrained. We should’ve known this was going to happen when the focus factory was canned and they decided to move it to China and since the current admin is going into a trade war with both China and Mexico it’s leaving Ford’s hands tied on a place to build it’s cars.
Factory constraints really drive the product itself in so many ways. Even the shipping containers themselves are constraints and need to be factored into every design change that might be implicated. Ford is deep into completely re-inventing the factory of the future, and the shift to EV makes that far more timely and feasible. Make no mistake, that will be a factor as they tool up with 16 new BEV's, as you are constrained with how many vehicles you can produce per factory. A new approach might include being able to produce several vehicle classes like sedan, CUV, etc. utilizing fixed EV platforms while varying tophats or the like. Anyway, when you consider this approach to a changing market, how can you possibly then carry current factories tooled like they are? I think we are witnessing the early steps of a manufacturing revolution too, and who better to do it than Ford.
2b2 likes this.
post #210 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 12:16 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
They are also the company that once cockily proclaimed to the world they'd sell 800,000 cars a year in the U.S. by 2018. 2017 sales totaled just under 340k units, and they're on pace to repeat that in 2018. This is not a company with their hand on the pulse of the American car market. In fact, if it weren't for the EPA's mandate to invest in EV's as a punishment for Dieselgate, I promise you they wouldn't be looking like a pioneer in that segment, either.
You are right, their issues with diesels got VW in the position they are in today, but that also pushed them ahead of the rest of the industry on a global scale as it relates to EVs, which is without question the future of transportation. And the future of the sedan is the EV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page