Fusion/Fiesta/Taurus Officially Cancelled - Page 4 - Ford Inside News Community
 522Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 PM
FIN Staff Member

Re: Fusion/Fiesta/Taurus Officially Cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post
There's no question Ford is going to be a smaller company by marketshare, but they've had to take this route before to get back to profitability. It's not about making profit on a full-line, it's about investing in the future of the full-line. Ford is just getting to it first, I guarantee you the rest will follow one way or another.

And with the new segments and replacements, I don't think it's going to be a dramatic contraction. The biggest hit to their sales will probably happen later this year or early next year with Focus going away without anything new to offset the loss besides the lackluster EcoSport. By the time Fusion goes away we will have new products to help out. F-Series will also likely get hit by the new GM and RAM trucks arrive which MIGHT cause them the biggest grief.
So not only is Ford reducing in market share, Lincoln will become even more of a niche market brand. MKZ, Continental, MKT are all gone. Just big SUVs for a luxury brand marketed to an older consumer.

This is just goofy. Normally an automaker would build a better product in the segment that attracts more sales, and work their way back to profitability. But Ford just QUIT! Gave up and ran the opposite direction toward big crossovers, SUVs and trucks.

It's like struggling in a trig class, and instead of studying more, using the tutor or asking for extra credit, Ford just dropped the difficult class and enrolled in a PE.

This is a very weak move on Ford's part, and shows that they can't step up their game and compete with the global competition in ALL segments, but instead retreats back into what's safe.

This is a BIG opportunity for the consumer and luxury competition to take that market share Ford is giving up, where today cars make up over 50% of the consumer auto market.
2b2 and 70 Stang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:05 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
...Today is an awesome day for Ford, the future is finally coming into focus and I think they look the most poised moving forward than any other carmaker.
okay - something I've been wondering this afternoon: WHY NOW/TODAY?!?
[ esp re: my nothing but NEGATIVES ]
WHY couldn't they -didn't they- wait for a time when they could have said
"While we won't have X Y Z, we're bringing out ABC D...??"
Bloggin and 70 Stang like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Ford Kuga

Ford is doing everything it needs to in the markets they compete in. The updated US portfolio reflects the market conditions.

They aren't quitting, they are adapting to the market and anticipating the future. I think you're ignoring the realities of the market forces, you believe the automakers dictate the market (If you build it, they will Come!). Ford can build the NICEST Compact or Midsize car in the world and loose every penny they put into it because people don't care and you can't make them care if they don't want that type of car. More importantly, the customers that do want that car are going away or want to spend less for it.
ehaase and SP1966 like this.

post #34 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:18 PM
FIN Staff Member

^...Tesla's survival has never been in doubt. The company has more investor clout that any other automaker in the US. Then there is this..

“2018’s likely to be a very big year for us,” Musk said in a conference call, after describing 2018 as a “transformative year” in a letter to shareholders. “At some point in 2018, we expect to begin generating positive quarterly income on a sustained basis, operating 5,000 per week of Model 3 production and I’m optimistic that we will be GAAP profitable.”

Model 3 production just got another upgrade..

According to Musk, the upgrades made to the production line last week will enable a ramp up for “Model 3 production of 3000 to 4000 per week” over the next month.

Therefore, I wouldn’t be surprised if those ~5,000 new VINs are registered for the next two weeks of production.

Model 3 production should hit 5k per week before the June date provided and reach Musk's profitability target along the way.

Ford on the other hand has retreated back into SUVs and trucks.....and diminished market share. I guess Canada will lose sedans as well and lose market share.
post #35 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
okay - something I've been wondering this afternoon: WHY NOW/TODAY?!?
[ esp re: my nothing but NEGATIVES ]
WHY couldn't they -didn't they- wait for a time when they could have said
"While we won't have X Y Z, we're bringing out ABC D...??"
I thought I stumbled across some old April fools fake news from earlier this month until I saw today's date on the news reports. Crazy.

Last edited by AM222; 04-25-2018 at 09:23 PM.
post #36 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Focus RS WRC

Ford should have thought about this years ago. The first few years they started to see crossovers increase, they should have planned hard.

Okay, so crossovers are becoming more popular than sedans so we have to build more of those. But what about people who like /need/still want sedans? Let's design a new style of car that sits high, is stable, has lots of legroom, lots of trunk space and still looks and feels like a sedan, but better. We should get a concept of this new segment ready.
2b2 and Bloggin like this.
post #37 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Ford is doing everything it needs to in the markets they compete in. The updated US portfolio reflects the market conditions.

They aren't quitting, they are adapting to the market and anticipating the future. I think you're ignoring the realities of the market forces, you believe the automakers dictate the market (If you build it, they will Come!). Ford can build the NICEST Compact or Midsize car in the world and loose every penny they put into it because people don't care and you can't make them care if they don't want that type of car. More importantly, the customers that do want that car are going away or want to spend less for it.
Toyota sold over 35k new Camry models in March. Honda sold over 32k Civic compact cars in March....it's not the 'segment' that has the problem, it's Ford's old models that are less attractive to consumers that impact their sales.

Big winners and Big losers in a segment does not indicate a problem with the segment, but only with what the big loser. Ford just conceded the small, compact and midsize car segment BACK to the imports who owned the segment before Ford tried to gain traction.....but lost their focus.
2b2 and 70 Stang like this.
post #38 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:25 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
...I guess Canada will lose sedans as well and lose market share.
along with the being-considered exit from SouthAmerica, they can leave Canadia and close Oakville alltogether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar Mazumdar View Post
Ford should have thought about this years ago...
...they should have planned hard...
another thing I've wondered about - along the lines of thinking outside the box:
HAS FORD REALLY DONE ENOUGH WORST-CASE SCENARIOS? ...don't look like it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 04-25-2018 at 09:31 PM.
post #39 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
So not only is Ford reducing in market share, Lincoln will become even more of a niche market brand. MKZ, Continental, MKT are all gone. Just big SUVs for a luxury brand marketed to an older consumer.

But Ford just QUIT! Gave up and ran the opposite direction toward big crossovers, SUVs and trucks.
Buyers are the one's who're quitting. They're no longer buying traditional sedans in the same volume, and that number continues to drop rapidly. People who want steak don't care how much better your new and improved hamburger is, they want what they want. There is no evolution/innovation of the sedan as we know it that is going to suddenly change the market's momentum towards crossovers.

The funny thing about all this gnashing of teeth is if we just take a step back and look at the broader picture we'd see that crossovers are simply the evolution of the family sedan. Is it better to invest in a dying market, or redirect that investment towards where the market is heading? I know after 100 plus years this big of a change is more than a little shocking, but I think people are overreacting in a big way.
post #40 of 510 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 PM
FIN Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar Mazumdar View Post
Ford should have thought about this years ago. The first few years they started to see crossovers increase, they should have planned hard.

Okay, so crossovers are becoming more popular than sedans so we have to build more of those. But what about people who like /need/still want sedans? Let's design a new style of car that sits high, is stable, has lots of legroom, lots of trunk space and still looks and feels like a sedan, but better. We should get a concept of this new segment ready.
Exactly!!

New Camry... selling over 35k units monthly NOW...

New Civic, also selling over 35k monthly...

Ford just got cheap with a habit of letting models go too long before new models, and the competition upgrades and leaves Ford in the dust. Ford responds wit blaming the 'segment' when their products that are slow selling are the oldest in the segments.
biker16 and 70 Stang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page