A look at Ford Midsize and Fullsize sedans from 1985 to 2017 - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:57 AM
Ford Focus ZX

Re: A look at Ford Midsize and Fullsize sedans from 1985 to 2017

It gets me that Ford went to all that effort to revive EUCD and deliver CD4 but kept a lot
of the in built limitations - I mean doing more with a RWD platform like Falcon/Territory
would have yielded Ford their very own multi function RWD AWD architecture years ago.

I find the great divide on C2=+=CD6 interesting, lots of cool stuff possible.
2b2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 04:48 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
Nice job with the list!

What this shows is the natural progression as more vehicle 'types' have become available. Initially there were only sedans as passenger cars, then wagons were added that shared consumers with sedans. SUVs shared more of the 'car' consumer base. Then the more car like CUVs/Crossovers came along and shared even more of the 'car' consumer base.

This sharing of the SAME CONSUMER BASE requires the initial 'car' consumer volume to be reduced to allow for crossover and SUV sales.

But that shift in consumer choice moves around a bit based on different variables. The shift from cars to higher margin SUVs swung back sharply to cars with the rise in gas prices. Automakers trying to hold on to some of that higher margin offered the crossover, which is just the car with a higher ride height, but still at a higher margins, along with similar fuel economy as the car.

Now today as gas prices are creeping up again, crossover/SUV sales are beginning to flatten out. Just looking at Ford, SUV/Crossover sales were down -4.6% for April and -3.6% for the year. Just for an apples to apples comparison, in April the compact Escape was down -16.6% and -13% for the year, while the compact Focus at was down -1.5% and -3.7% for the year. Looking at other compact and midsize sedans, the new models are in a more positive position than the CUV/SUV model sales based on manufacturer. Which helps to explain why the old Fusion offers the one of the worst sales performances in the segment.

It is the higher margins Ford is reaching for with crossovers/cars with higher seating position and lower fuel economy, but consumers are not obligated to fall in line with that plan. As Ford shifts to more expensive everything in each segment by calling them CUV/SUVs, the rest of the industry is renewing and adding more options in the lower priced, more efficient, better driving dynamics, easier to drive, car segments. With EVs just emphasizing the benefits of the car body style.

As gas prices continue to rise, we will see if the trend of declining CUV/SUV sales continue, along with rising sales of the NEW sedans from other manufacturers.
The rest of the industry is up in crossovers.

Ford's are flat or down because it has some of the oldest products on the market.

Escape - 2013
Edge - 2015 (yes, this is new), refresh arriving in the next few months
Explorer - 2011
Expedition - 2018 (obviously new)

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
The rest of the industry is up in crossovers.

Ford's are flat or down because it has some of the oldest products on the market.

Escape - 2013
Edge - 2015 (yes, this is new), refresh arriving in the next few months
Explorer - 2011
Expedition - 2018 (obviously new)

While the current Explorer did debut in 2011 the platform is much older than that sadly.
glyphics likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

post-edit: looking at these numbers, and WITH hindsight; IF instead of the imho corporate-aimlessness of 2003-2010;
think Mercury could've survived IF they'd used hybrids to supplement their pre-3.7/3.5EB[2009my] antiquated drivetrains
which
would've put Merc in perfect-position for the Recession...
...looking up my old [newspaper-prediction] from the Mission, circa 2009?
original Link lost in forum changes/re-organizations...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
my main engineering objective for Mercury has been electrification for LONG time:

now returning you to your regularly scheduled post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
...Super job with ALL those numbers, @Andrew L - if I was more awake my head would hurt
+ I sooooo want to play with them, esp put D3 sedans side-by-side
then Cuv[s] then D4; And...
IdunnoWhat with the models with gapyears like Taurus n Conti...
gave it a shot & added the other D3/4 cuvs - didn't change Totals at Right or Bottom
...aww shoot, forgot the StyleFree
...UPdated, via Carsalesbase.com

old
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FoMoCo-sedanCuvs.jpg (165.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Merc-Headline.jpg (36.8 KB, 5 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 05-28-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page