A look at Ford Midsize and Fullsize sedans from 1985 to 2017 - Ford Inside News Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
A look at Ford Midsize and Fullsize sedans from 1985 to 2017

With the announcement of the death of Ford sedans I thought it would be fun to look at the mid to full size market numbers for Ford. Some of these numbers were really conflicting and hard to find so if there are any mistakes feel free to point them out. Left out on this are the Panther sedans and the pre D186 Continental. Note 2007 Taurus is still D186.

It's kind of amazing to see some of those numbers and where they stack. I tried to keep this list only to sedans and wagons of cars related to the Taurus. When you look at the totals you can see a pretty steady decline which is pretty depressing to see with the high being in 1996. I broke the numbers up by platform too and obviously there are some platform mates missing like the crossovers for the C/D series, the Mazda variants and the Windstar for D186.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

Last edited by Andrew L; 05-23-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 11:41 AM
Ford Falcon

Re: A look at Ford Midsize and Fullsize sedans from 1985 to 2017

Thanks for putting that together - definitely is interesting to see.

I know it takes a lot of time to put these together too. I just had to completely rearrange my Lincoln/Cadillac excel /charts because of GM's stupid switch to quarterly sales numbers - had to create quarter columns and redo all the references in the charts to account for quarterly and not monthly numbers. It was a pain!
Andrew L and jpd80 like this.

Current Vehicles:
2009 Ford Flex Limited w/ AWD
Light Ice Blue/White Suede Roof | Med. Lt. Stone Interior | Vista Roof
2018 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Lightning Blue | Black Top | Black Interior
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
Thanks for putting that together - definitely is interesting to see.

I know it takes a lot of time to put these together too. I just had to completely rearrange my Lincoln/Cadillac excel /charts because of GM's stupid switch to quarterly sales numbers - had to create quarter columns and redo all the references in the charts to account for quarterly and not monthly numbers. It was a pain!

Yea I hear you I am upset GM has gone to quarterly cause it messes up all my charts I have too.
jpd80 likes this.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:15 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

^ can we just ignore GM?
&
Super job with ALL those numbers, @Andrew L - if I was more awake my head would hurt
+ I sooooo want to play with them, esp put D3 sedans side-by-side
then Cuv[s] then D4; And...
IdunnoWhat with the models with gapyears like Taurus n Conti

thinking 3or4 dimensions would help ...frequently feel that way:
groceries
laundry
relatives
Andrew L and jpd80 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2b2; 05-23-2018 at 05:38 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Yea I hear you I am upset GM has gone to quarterly cause it messes up all my charts I have too.
It took me hours to change it all up to quarterly.

I kept the monthly version though in case they decide to change back

Perhaps more annoyingly is that since Ford still reports monthly, I'm putting the monthly numbers in, and it adjusts Ford's numbers on the charts, but not the GM numbers (which sit at 0)

Current Vehicles:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 03:16 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
It took me hours to change it all up to quarterly.

I kept the monthly version though in case they decide to change back

Perhaps more annoyingly is that since Ford still reports monthly, I'm putting the monthly numbers in, and it adjusts Ford's numbers on the charts, but not the GM numbers (which sit at 0)
as pleasurable as seeing those zerØs may-or-may-not be, what about inserting either an Averaging/trending formula or just "n/a"
?
jpd80 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 04:01 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
as pleasurable as seeing those zerØs may-or-may-not be, what about inserting either an Averaging/trending formula or just "n/a"
?
Well, I set the charts up once a year so that I don't have to go through and edit what they reference every month for new numbers (takes forever because I have to edit each field for each item I want to chart). With a blank field, it doesn't matter, it'll just ignore that value. But where they get screwed up is the quarterly setup with Ford still reporting monthly.

So take Q2 for example - we've only had April in Q2 numbers. GM's numbers are at 0 because I have no info, which I can just leave those blank and it would ignore them. I built the Q# numbers to add the 3 previous columns/months in the Ford part since Ford doesn't report quarterly, I have to add them to get quarterly numbers to compare, so right now, Q2 only has ~1/3 of the numbers with only April in, which throws the line charts off (since I already built in the references for the year). Before it was fine because you'd have tallies for both companies for the month. Now you have one but not the other.

Here's the old setup:

And the new setup:
jpd80 likes this.

Current Vehicles:

Last edited by rmc523; 05-23-2018 at 04:08 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 05:44 PM
FIN Staff Member

Nice job with the list!

What this shows is the natural progression as more vehicle 'types' have become available. Initially there were only sedans as passenger cars, then wagons were added that shared consumers with sedans. SUVs shared more of the 'car' consumer base. Then the more car like CUVs/Crossovers came along and shared even more of the 'car' consumer base.

This sharing of the SAME CONSUMER BASE requires the initial 'car' consumer volume to be reduced to allow for crossover and SUV sales.

But that shift in consumer choice moves around a bit based on different variables. The shift from cars to higher margin SUVs swung back sharply to cars with the rise in gas prices. Automakers trying to hold on to some of that higher margin offered the crossover, which is just the car with a higher ride height, but still at a higher margins, along with similar fuel economy as the car.

Now today as gas prices are creeping up again, crossover/SUV sales are beginning to flatten out. Just looking at Ford, SUV/Crossover sales were down -4.6% for April and -3.6% for the year. Just for an apples to apples comparison, in April the compact Escape was down -16.6% and -13% for the year, while the compact Focus at was down -1.5% and -3.7% for the year. Looking at other compact and midsize sedans, the new models are in a more positive position than the CUV/SUV model sales based on manufacturer. Which helps to explain why the old Fusion offers the one of the worst sales performances in the segment.

It is the higher margins Ford is reaching for with crossovers/cars with higher seating position and lower fuel economy, but consumers are not obligated to fall in line with that plan. As Ford shifts to more expensive everything in each segment by calling them CUV/SUVs, the rest of the industry is renewing and adding more options in the lower priced, more efficient, better driving dynamics, easier to drive, car segments. With EVs just emphasizing the benefits of the car body style.

As gas prices continue to rise, we will see if the trend of declining CUV/SUV sales continue, along with rising sales of the NEW sedans from other manufacturers.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:25 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
As gas prices continue to rise, we will see if the trend of declining CUV/SUV sales continue, along with rising sales of the NEW sedans from other manufacturers.
Perhaps this is the reason Toyota hasn't abandoned the sedan segment in the US.
The Camry and Corolla will probably stick around for a while... they're even building the next Corolla sedan in the US.
Toyota Preparing For Next Corolla: $170M Investment, 400 New Jobs
"Toyota’s Mississippi Plant Investments in Full Bloom"
https://www.motor1.com/news/240662/t...nt-investment/

Last edited by AM222; 05-23-2018 at 09:48 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:32 PM
Ford Explorer

The progression has probably more to do with more competition, than type.
jpd80 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page