Ford & how they pushed a defective transmission to production - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Ford Explorer

Send a message via AIM to Andrew L
Re: Ford & how they pushed a defective transmission to production

I still don't understand why they didn't go with the more reliable wet clutch option vs the dry clutch or just go with a regular 6 speed auto.

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
Previous Cars
2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:00 AM
Ford Explorer

Ford's response to the Freep article,

DEARBORN – At Ford, we have no higher priority than earning and keeping the trust of our customers and assuring they are safe. That is why we are deeply concerned consumers may be confused or fearful as a result of recent reporting in the Detroit Free Press about the development and introduction of Ford’s DPS6 transmission nearly a decade ago.

That reporting includes conclusions that are not based in fact, which risks misleading customers about the safety and dependability of their vehicles.

This is too important for such misunderstanding to take hold. Consumers deserve to be told that vehicles with the DPS6 have proven to be safe, after billions of miles on the road since Ford introduced them in good faith. Indeed, automobiles with current versions of the transmission rank highly in performance and reliability, based on warranty statistics.

Here is what Ford believes consumers need to know:

• The DPS6 was an all-new transmission made by a company named Getrag and introduced in 2011 and 2012 on Fiesta and Focus models. It was designed to improve the fuel economy of those vehicles.

• In the development process, the DPS6 successfully completed extensive pre-launch study, testing and refinement. This process is universally applied at Ford. Vehicles are not launched until they reach key development milestones.

• As we acknowledged years ago and have determinedly addressed, two distinct quality issues related to this transmission emerged after it was launched:

1) A degree of vibration, or shudder, when the all-new automatic transmission operated at low speed. Similar to what is experienced with a manual transmission, the vibration was effectively a tradeoff for the higher level of fuel efficiency. Durability and safety were not compromised. We underestimated its effect on customer satisfaction, as well as the complexity and time required to remedy the issue and optimize performance.

2) On a much smaller scale, a potential for the transmission to default to neutral – while still maintaining full power steering and braking – developed only after several years of real-world use of these vehicles. In 2014, the source was traced to a faulty control module. Contrary to an assertion by the Free Press, conversations inside Ford in 2008 had nothing to do with a matter that did not exist until years later.

• The Free Press included allegations about accidents and injuries purportedly caused by the DPS6 transmission, including instances of “sudden…acceleration.” We have not seen that occur with the DPS6 and are not aware of evidence that would validate cause-and-effect in these cases.

Ford has been persistent in addressing these quality problems. We have gone to great lengths investigating the issues, alerting dealers and consumers, recommending and making repairs, and extending warranties. Resolving the problems took longer than we expected. We regret the frustration and inconvenience this has caused.

Unfortunately, reporting by the Free Press has needlessly added to consumer frustration and generated unwarranted concern. The newspaper has relied on documents that have been publicly available for a year, many of them shopped to reporters by attorneys attempting to call new attention to an old topic. Ford could have helped avoid numerous factual errors like the ones above. However, the Free Press declined an invitation to meet with our engineering experts – and go over facts in detail – prior to publishing these stories.

Ford continues to stand behind the affected vehicles today, including providing owners involved in a class action an option to resolve their claims sooner through voluntary arbitration, following the guidelines of the pending class settlement. Across our global business, we remain diligent and accountable in developing products and services that best meet the needs and interests of consumers
falcon lover likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Ford Explorer

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-...smissions-free

Previous Cars
2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:01 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Ford can say what they want, but it was still a crap transmission. My Focus was literally the worst vehicle I've ever owned, and this coming from a guy that drove a Chevette in high school. I was on the verge of buying a new Corolla when I said screw and have Ford another shot.
jpd80 likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
Ford can say what they want, but it was still a crap transmission. My Focus was literally the worst vehicle I've ever owned, and this coming from a guy that drove a Chevette in high school. I was on the verge of buying a new Corolla when I said screw and have Ford another shot.

Ford historically doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to transmissions either you'd think they would have been more careful with this.

Previous Cars
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
Ford historically doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to transmissions either you'd think they would have been more careful with this.
Guess I've been lucky as out of the Fords I've owned the Focus was the only one with transmission issues, now my brother had a a 98 Taurus with many transmission issues.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
Guess I've been lucky as out of the Fords I've owned the Focus was the only one with transmission issues, now my brother had a a 98 Taurus with many transmission issues.

Of all the Ford products I have owned these were issues I had

99 Mercury Sable LS - I had the better of the 2 transmissions and never had an issue with it but I know lots of Taurus/Sable/Continental guys complained about it if you had the weaker of the 2.
04 Lincoln LS - Had a really weird issue where it was shifting awkwardly in 2nd and 3rd thought it was the solenoid pack which is a VERY common issue with the LS/S-Type/Thunderbird/Explorer 5 speed auto turned out to be the computer and not the transmission itself
08 Focus - None
13 MKZ - None

Previous Cars
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Ahhhh, what could have been. This is a blemish on Ford, but not as sinister as some seem to believe.
I think the worse thing was the transmission was approved for production even the engineers couldn't make it work as promised from the beginning. That's 9 long years in production.

I'm glad they got rid of the PowerShift but I know Ford of Europe hasn't given up on DCTs.

PS: I wonder if PowerShift is still offered in Brazil, I know the old Fiesta is still alive there with a mild facelift.

Last edited by AM222; 07-19-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:19 PM
Ford Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
I still don't understand why they didn't go with the more reliable wet clutch option vs the dry clutch or just go with a regular 6 speed auto.
Keep in mind that nearly all DCT transmissions including those utilized by VW/ Audi are dry clutch for the torque capacity the Focus required. It is in the TCU, and control software because Ford allowed excessive clutch slip during shifts to try to emulate the shift quality of a traditional automatic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:44 AM
Focus RS WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
Keep in mind that nearly all DCT transmissions including those utilized by VW/ Audi are dry clutch for the torque capacity the Focus required. It is in the TCU, and control software because Ford allowed excessive clutch slip during shifts to try to emulate the shift quality of a traditional automatic.
Most of Audi/VW's DCT are wet clutch, they had recalls with the dry clutch DCTs as well and AFAIK, they have also left dry clutch behind.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...0160616-gpkryu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page