Ford & how they pushed a defective transmission to production - Ford Inside News Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS

Ford & how they pushed a defective transmission to production

Read through the article and you will understand why Ford killed the Focus and Fiesta in NA:
https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money...ct/1671198001/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:07 AM
Focus RS WRC

Had a buddy with a Focus. He had serious issues with that transmission. They put a second one in it and it seemed to do the trick, though. Maybe he got lucky.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:01 AM
Ford Falcon Ute

Send a message via MSN to falcon lover
Re: Ford & how they pushed a defective transmission to production

This remember me the Pinto debacle. Of course, no deaths in this case, but the same negligent actitude from the "bean counters". Is a shame this conduct from Ford in the 21 century...

But when I remember the VW-Audi-Porsche diesel fiasco, I feel something better...

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Ford Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
Had a buddy with a Focus. He had serious issues with that transmission. They put a second one in it and it seemed to do the trick, though. Maybe he got lucky.
Ford made an improved Transmission Control Module and updated the software. I believe these quick fixes prolonged the lifespan of the transmission but at the end it never performed as smooth as it should have.

Outside North America, the refreshed 2015MY Focus was given a torque converter automatic option to go along with the 1.5 EcoBoost. It's odd that the North American Focus stuck with the NA 2.0 and PowerShift option.

I on the other hand drove past the PowerShift-era in a stick shift car.

Last edited by AM222; 07-12-2019 at 06:56 AM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post
This remember me the Pinto debacle. Of course, no deaths in this case, but the same negligent actitude from the "bean counters". Is a shame this conduct from Ford in the 21 century...

But when I remember the VW-Audi-Porsche diesel fiasco, I feel something better...

No exploding cars here.
What I vividly recall is that at launch years ago, the DPS6 was anticipated to be quite different in feel, and Ford expected that customers would slowly warm to what they believed was a European-ish manual feel. But the blow back was more than they anticipated, as they continued to make excuses for it. Then, as longer term problems arose, Ford seemed to conflate customer "feel" with technical/durability issues. All told, it became a serious CF. I avoided buying one myself or my kids. I knew Ford would replace it when launched new recently, but alas, NA don't get it. The warranty cost to them was off the charts. In manual trim, the car is wonderful. I considered a used ST for my son at one time, after spending some time in one, but insurance costs and concerns for his vigorous driving style, put an end to that.

Ahhhh, what could have been. This is a blemish on Ford, but not as sinister as some seem to believe.
Ed753 and jpd80 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Ford Mondeo

Garage

I recently got rid of my 2012 Focus with the DCT. Now it was pretty awful, clutches replaced 4 times and TCM twice, but all under the extended warranty so I just kept driving it.

I really dont think the DCT issues have anything to do with the Focus and Fiesta going away since even with the issues they still sold well. I think its a combination of them being a lower profit margin vehicle and at the time there was a lot of talks with tariffs and everything else and since both would be imported it just made sense. Now rumors are saying VW is only going to see the next gen Golf in GTI trim in the US, I would like to see Ford do the same and just offer the Focus ST and Fiesta ST here in the US.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon lover View Post

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG]

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
No exploding cars here.
What I vividly recall is that at launch years ago, the DPS6 was anticipated to be quite different in feel, and Ford expected that customers would slowly warm to what they believed was a European-ish manual feel. But the blow back was more than they anticipated, as they continued to make excuses for it. Then, as longer term problems arose, Ford seemed to conflate customer "feel" with technical/durability issues. All told, it became a serious CF. I avoided buying one myself or my kids. I knew Ford would replace it when launched new recently, but alas, NA don't get it. The warranty cost to them was off the charts. In manual trim, the car is wonderful. I considered a used ST for my son at one time, after spending some time in one, but insurance costs and concerns for his vigorous driving style, put an end to that.

Ahhhh, what could have been. This is a blemish on Ford, but not as sinister as some seem to believe.
It enough of a blemish that it basically killed the Focus and Fiesta reputation - some folks can’t even think about one. These brand names are likely dead for a long time in NA.

And enough of a blemish that Ford warned investors this will be a costly endeavour and may hurt earning in the next 2 quarters.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:38 PM
Ford Explorer

"basically killed"

Is that like being sort of pregnant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wingsnut; 07-12-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:56 PM
Ford Kuga

In other news **** is hot, and the North Pole is quite frigid.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:10 AM
Focus RS WRC

And if Ford introduced a new Focus with 8AT tomorrow, people
would still buy it, nothing is ever final with buyers, Ford just has
to do the right thing and keep doing it for all customers......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page