Ford recalling 89k 2013 Fusion and Escape models over engine fires - Page 2 - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scford58 View Post
Isn't this the 4th recall for the new Escape - 3rd for possible engine fires? This along with questions about MPG/EPA numbers & My Ford Touch spells disaster for Ford. I still believe in the automaker and thier products but I'm not sure the average buyer would agree.
There have been a number of recalls on the poor Escape. I'm wondering what Ford is going to do. Consumer Reports has dropped Ford to almost last because of the MFT. There is a new update coming out too for it.

Like you I still believe in Ford and Lincoln, and this just is not helping.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Current Car; 2018 Focus EV 115m Range
2015 Focus EV 75m Range, 2013 Cmax Energi, 2010 Fiesta, 2007 Milan, 2005 Ranger, 2002 Focus Zx5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vermont Drive Electric Ambassador
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Ford Ka

Re: Ford recalling 89k 2013 Fusion and Escape models over engine fires

We bought the 2013 Ford Fusion on Friday 11/30 around 6:30 in the evening and while we were filling out all the paperwork nothing was mentioned about this recall. I found out on Monday that Ford had made the announcement to the public around noon on Friday the 30th. I called the dealship on Saturday the 1st of December to ask about a programming issue with the key and yet again nothing was said about the fire hazard recall. After driving the call all weekend, I got a call from the dealer requesting some info for information about for titling purposes and nothing was mention then either. This was around 11:30 am. I finally read online about the recall and called the dealership immediately and was told "We were just fixing to call you and inform you of the recall. I took the car in and was told it could be 2 weeks to possibly 2 months. This matter really upset me that me, my wife and my 2yr old son was allowed to leave dealership with us not knowing but the dealer knowing that the car could possible catch fire with my family in the vehicle. This is a total blatant diesregard for my families saftey just to make the sale. Our brand new car was then just parked in a lot out in the elements for anyone or anything to possibly do damage. We keep our car in the garage and would expect it to be kept in the same manner. Then to make it worse we were given a rental car through Enterprise that is no where near as nice or clean as our vehicle. The rental smelt like a smoky bar and my son has asthma and the smell is causing him problems. The dealership seems to not care about the inconvenience that this has cost us and is continuing to cost us. I am trying to get out of my loan commitment because I do not want the vehicle after it has been torn apart to fix the problem. I have received no calls from Ford or the dealer to even follow up with us.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

sorry you're having this situation, FusionOwner
(welcome to FiN btw)
((& if you can, remember the dealer and Ford are 2 separate companies))

that said,
if you're on facebook, I've seen Ford's online people be of help with difficult or "stuck" problems
www.facebook.com/FordCustomerService

keep us posted on developments
think I have a phone number somewhere too
that was posted elsewhere for Ford Customer Service.....

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Ford Ka

Thank you 2b2. I will definately try and talk to someone at customer service
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Ford Sport Ka

A week old Escape 1.6. This is entirely unacceptable to me. I'm going to try to get Ford to do a buy back and move on. I no longer want this version of the car.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Ford Ka

@ xgman, I am in the same boat. If you know of anyone to contact please let me know. I have tried to contact the people whom I was referred to on this post and haven't heard anything yet. I have also tried Ford customer service and havent gotten any response yet.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
Aren't all 1.6 EcoBoosts from the UK? ...or is the cause of the fire and overheating not directly part of the engine?

2.5 is from Chihuahua, Mexico
1.6 EcoBoost is from Bridgend, U.K.
2.0 EcoBoost is from Valencia, Spain

See the pdf link from MEDIA.FORD.COM: http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...sion_Specs.pdf
Yeah I think you're right the 1.6 is manufactured in the UK. Fluid leakage from the engine seems to be the cause of the fires which would disprove my original theory about there being some vendor related issue only relative to the states...and then there was this Ford 1.6L EcoBoost Engine Investigation Expands to Europe so I guess the European 1.6 is not immune to the recalls after all.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Ford Sport Ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion Owner View Post
@ xgman, I am in the same boat. If you know of anyone to contact please let me know. I have tried to contact the people whom I was referred to on this post and haven't heard anything yet. I have also tried Ford customer service and havent gotten any response yet.
You can file a case with Ford Cust Svc, then they call you back supposedly with a week to follow up. They told me not to bother to discuss with the dealer as Ford would be the one that would entertain solutions such as buy backs.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Ford Sport Ka

My dealer found a identical 2.0 model to mine and has agreed to let me switch. I won't look back.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 PM
2b2
Mercury C557

1.6 Engine FIX Announced

imho showing how closely-controlled modern engines are in the pursuit of MPG and low emissions...

Ford blames software glitch for Fusion, Escape recall - Reuters
By Deepa Seetharaman
DETROIT | Mon Dec 10, 2012

(Reuters) - A defect that raised the risk of an engine fire in Ford Motor Co's newly launched Escape and Fusion models was caused by a glitch in the software that monitors the vehicles' cooling systems, Ford said on Monday.

The No. 2 U.S. automaker recalled almost 90,000 Escape crossovers and Fusion sedans on November 30 for the problem, which affects models equipped with the turbocharged 1.6-liter engine.

The original design of the cooling system was unable to handle a loss of pressure under certain conditions, which could trigger a vehicle fire when the engine was running, Ford said. Ford will update the software in the affected models.

"The software updates will better manage engine temperatures during a unique overheating condition that could occur under unique operating conditions," the company said in a statement.

There have been at least nine fires in vehicles owned by customers, Ford told U.S. safety regulators. Until the software is updated, Ford is urging customers with 2013 Escape and Fusion vehicles to contact their dealer for a free replacement vehicle.

"When a potential issue is identified, we act promptly on behalf of our customers, as we did this time," Ford's global product development chief Raj Nair said in a statement.

Ford has recalled its 2013 Escape crossover four times since July, twice for problems with its 1.6-liter turbocharged engine. The Escape and Fusion are considered Ford's two most critical launches this year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2013, 89k, engine, escape, fires, ford, fusion, models, recalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page