Ford Reliability: Is Quality Still ‘Job 1?’ - Ford Inside News Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Editor

Ford Reliability: Is Quality Still ‘Job 1?’

Ford Reliability: Is Quality Still ‘Job 1?’
www.AutoGuide.com

Six of the Top 10 Least Reliable Cars and Trucks on the road are Ford products. At least, that’s according to data provided by Consumer Reports, a non-profit organization that tests everything from toasters to homeowner’s insurance. This lopsided result has raised a lot of questions, like: Are Blue-Oval vehicles really that troublesome or is Consumer Reports’ survey methodology flawed?

As many AutoGuide readers commented on our Top 10 Unreliable Cars and Trucks post, the company’s MyFord Touch infotainment system was a major reason for their poor performance. “The reliability problems are overwhelming,” said Jake Fisher, Director of Auto Testing at Consumer Reports.

To be clear this has nothing to do with how easy or hard the system is to use. “We’re not talking about difficult to operate” Fisher said, adding, “We’re talking about failures,” outright problems that require a customer to go back to the dealer. MyFord Touch has had, “a serious impact [on] brand reliability.”

Fisher said “I think they were trying to be out front [with MyFord Touch].” He noted that Japanese automakers tend to be conservative when it comes to new features. Toyota for instance is rarely in a leadership position when it comes to technology because, “That’s the higher risk,” Fisher said.

Another issue that took wind right out of the Blue Oval’s reliability sails is their PowerShift dual-clutch automatic transmission; it’s offered on the Focus and Fiesta small cars. Fisher said customers weren’t just complaining about shift-quality issues, gearboxes have actually been failing. This has resulted in a “high problem rate,” he said.

Read More...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---> Come join us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Ford Explorer

Re: Ford Reliability: Is Quality Still ‘Job 1?’

To Ford's immense credit, nobody has come close to launching the amount of new engines, transmissions, features and technology....not to mention all new vehicles.....than Ford. Powertrain last year globally alone accounted for about 30 launches.

Think of Toyota or Honda and what they have launched recently. I swear I can count it on one hand. And even with relatively few all new launches, combined their recalls dominated everyone else.

Ford is working hard and making us all aware of what needs to be done, but Good God, when has ANYONE compared in new launches to compare against.

I say keep it coming, but slow it down just a tad to sort through some of these Q problems.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Editor

I think this is largely the necessary evil that comes with innovation, specifically in technology applications.

In this case, the quality issues are a small price to pay for being viewed as an innovator.

---> Come join us

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Ford Focus ZX

I too would like them to slow the pace a bit so their QC can catch up. We own a 2013 Explorer and it has been in the shop for 2 weeks so far getting all the little things that are wrong with it fixed. It's a great car, but I had an 11 item list of things that needed attention, most of which I don't feel should have been a problem on a car only a year old. Like my father always said, "You can buy a fancy car, but remember a car's primary purpose is to get you from point A to B. The more do-dads you get on the car, the more they will break." Good ol' fatherly wisdom.

What I find myself thinking is that if you can't do it right, maybe you shouldn't do it at all. Maybe Ford needs to take a step back and realize what their engineering and production abilities can accomplish reliably. You may want all of the gee whiz features, but if you can't make 'em reliable, you are only doing yourself, and more importantly your customers (current and future) a great disservice.

We have MFT, and they need to fix that $h1t!!! It is really annoying.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceL View Post
I too would like them to slow the pace a bit so their QC can catch up. We own a 2013 Explorer and it has been in the shop for 2 weeks so far getting all the little things that are wrong with it fixed. It's a great car, but I had an 11 item list of things that needed attention, most of which I don't feel should have been a problem on a car only a year old. Like my father always said, "You can buy a fancy car, but remember a car's primary purpose is to get you from point A to B. The more do-dads you get on the car, the more they will break." Good ol' fatherly wisdom.

What I find myself thinking is that if you can't do it right, maybe you shouldn't do it at all. Maybe Ford needs to take a step back and realize what their engineering and production abilities can accomplish reliably. You may want all of the gee whiz features, but if you can't make 'em reliable, you are only doing yourself, and more importantly your customers (current and future) a great disservice.

We have MFT, and they need to fix that $h1t!!! It is really annoying.
11 items wrong?

I am sure you remember them well, if they were bad enough to send in for repair.
What are some of them?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Granted, not all of them are show stoppers, some of them just happen sometimes, and some are just me being nit-picky, but I've never had a car that needed this many things addressed, at least not so soon.

Here is the list I sent them:

1. Weather stripping where front doors meet B pillars wearing through and cracking.

2. Seat trim on front passenger lower seat cushion front keeps popping off.

3. Sulfur/ozone/exhaust smell when accelerating still a problem. (TSB item)

4. Paint falling off of parking sensors on front bumper.

5. Leather on driver’s seat is wrinkling and showing excessive wear (especially right side upper bolster – leather finish is rubbing off with raw leather exposed).

6. Factory applied sealant at base of driver’s side tailgate hinge is cracking and separating from vehicle.

7. Tailgate is skewed with passenger side edge forward several millimeters of taillight lens (it is flush on driver side).

8. A strong, musty odor from vents when A/C is on is still a problem.

9. Faint creaking noise heard when turning steering wheel to the left or right. (Clock spring??)

10. Sound of transmission has changed recently, it is starting to whine (or more specifically a howling noise), and do so more frequently, accompanied by harsh shifts periodically (especially when moving between drive and reverse).

11. Brakes squeal at low speeds.

So you can see that some of them are poor/sloppy manufacturing, some are questionable materials, and others are just things that cars do. Just got a call from the service advisor keeping me up to date. So far, Tomball Ford has been awesome keeping me in the know as to what is going on with my car. I get calls from Bill ever 2 to 3 days with an update.

As a comparison, my car (2008 Subaru Legacy), only has had two defects that needed addressing: the little string on the gas cap broke (replaced free), and the dashboard was easily marred (replaced free with a complimentary loaner car - took almost a month to get it all straightened out seeing as the service dept goofed up a number of things in the car with sloppy repair practices, made me wish I just kept the old dash, lol). Ford never offered a loaner car, but Subaru is Johnny-on-the-spot with one if the repair will take more than a day or two.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Ford Focus

I am on my third Ford vehicle - '05 F150, '11 Edge Limited and now '13 Lincoln MKX. I haven't had a moment's difficulty with the MFT system in either of the newer vehicles and not a single warranty issue between all of them. I also have lots of colleagues and acquaintances with the My Ford Touch system in their various vehicles and no complaints with any of them.

Something tells me Consumer Reports' information is skewed or flawed in some way.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceL View Post
Granted, not all of them are show stoppers, some of them just happen sometimes, and some are just me being nit-picky, but I've never had a car that needed this many things addressed, at least not so soon.

Here is the list I sent them:

1. Weather stripping where front doors meet B pillars wearing through and cracking.

2. Seat trim on front passenger lower seat cushion front keeps popping off.

3. Sulfur/ozone/exhaust smell when accelerating still a problem. (TSB item)

4. Paint falling off of parking sensors on front bumper.

5. Leather on driver’s seat is wrinkling and showing excessive wear (especially right side upper bolster – leather finish is rubbing off with raw leather exposed).

6. Factory applied sealant at base of driver’s side tailgate hinge is cracking and separating from vehicle.

7. Tailgate is skewed with passenger side edge forward several millimeters of taillight lens (it is flush on driver side).

8. A strong, musty odor from vents when A/C is on is still a problem.

9. Faint creaking noise heard when turning steering wheel to the left or right. (Clock spring??)

10. Sound of transmission has changed recently, it is starting to whine (or more specifically a howling noise), and do so more frequently, accompanied by harsh shifts periodically (especially when moving between drive and reverse).

11. Brakes squeal at low speeds.

So you can see that some of them are poor/sloppy manufacturing, some are questionable materials, and others are just things that cars do. Just got a call from the service advisor keeping me up to date. So far, Tomball Ford has been awesome keeping me in the know as to what is going on with my car. I get calls from Bill ever 2 to 3 days with an update.

As a comparison, my car (2008 Subaru Legacy), only has had two defects that needed addressing: the little string on the gas cap broke (replaced free), and the dashboard was easily marred (replaced free with a complimentary loaner car - took almost a month to get it all straightened out seeing as the service dept goofed up a number of things in the car with sloppy repair practices, made me wish I just kept the old dash, lol). Ford never offered a loaner car, but Subaru is Johnny-on-the-spot with one if the repair will take more than a day or two.
Amazing that most of those problems I would associate with a 10 year old vehicle, not brand new.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Focus RS WRC

Send a message via AIM to YellowZx5 Send a message via Yahoo to YellowZx5

I'm almost done with my fiesta lease and the transmission is different and is an interesting animal, but it's not terrible. You have to give up something to get the fuel economy numbers though. I heard the focus has a better gear box than the fiesta. I think some tweaking of the revs would be good.

I haven't had Any issues like noted though either. Right now the brakes feel a little weird but my car also sat for almost 2 weeks not driven and still work good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Current Car; 2018 Focus EV 115m Range
2015 Focus EV 75m Range, 2013 Cmax Energi, 2010 Fiesta, 2007 Milan, 2005 Ranger, 2002 Focus Zx5.

Vermont Drive Electric Ambassador
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Ford Focus ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
Amazing that most of those problems I would associate with a 10 year old vehicle, not brand new.
That's pretty much what we are thinking. It's a really great ride and we love the car (it is one heck of a road-trip vehicle), but we would love it a bit more without all of these little issues.

Visit our THREAD on Explorerforum.com to 'meet' the Gray Ghost and check out our first road trip in it. The meat of the trip starts at Post #130.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ford, quality, reliability, ‘job

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Inside News Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page